Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grits with Salt, Pepper & Butter tasted kinda like Salt, Pepper & Butter!

We just were not used to them, but nothing against them.

It was just my impression that when you go out to eat, no matter where you are or who you are, you are supposed to get what you request, not what they want to give you.

For example, there is only one place locally the wife and I like to get burgers. Their ground Black Angus is off the charts, and if you order it Med Rare, it comes Med Rare! It is also a good sized burger, and reasonably priced, what is not to like!

Some of you Yanks would starve at my house. Last nite, had pinto beans seasoned with salt porK. Cornbread with real butter, fresh garden onions, battered and pan fried squash, corn on the cob. Would have loved to wash it down with a tall glass of sweet tea, but diabetes says gotta drink unsweet.

Southerners like to put sugar in everything. Grits, add a little sugar and a bunch of real butter. Oatmeal, needs brown sugar and cinnamon and butter. Rice, sugar and butter. Sweet taters, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. If we aint eating sugar and butter, its onions. Fried taters, got to have onions, or ramps if their in season. Hushpuppies, got to add onions to the batter. Steaks, smothered in onions, Hamburgers with a side of onion rings. Fried calf liver or chicken livers and gizzards, rolled in cornmeal and smothered in onions. Then there is Okra, none of that boiled or stewed junk here, roll in cornmeal and fry until almost burnt, same with squash or zucchini. Tomatoes not ripening fast enough, slice them green and roll in cornmeal and fry until brown. Want to make them special, throw in some onions. Aint got enough of one veggi for a mess, mix the okra, squash, zucchini together and throw in some onions and fry until good and brown. as Grandpaw Jones used to say, Yum Yum

Some of you Yanks would starve at my house. Last nite, had pinto beans seasoned with salt porK. Cornbread with real butter, fresh garden onions, battered and pan fried squash, corn on the cob. Would have loved to wash it down with a tall glass of sweet tea, but diabetes says gotta drink unsweet.

Southerners like to put sugar in everything. Grits, add a little sugar and a bunch of real butter. Oatmeal, needs brown sugar and cinnamon and butter. Rice, sugar and butter. Sweet taters, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. If we aint eating sugar and butter, its onions. Fried taters, got to have onions, or ramps if their in season. Hushpuppies, got to add onions to the batter. Steaks, smothered in onions, Hamburgers with a side of onion rings. Fried calf liver or chicken livers and gizzards, rolled in cornmeal and smothered in onions. Then there is Okra, none of that boiled or stewed junk here, roll in cornmeal and fry until almost burnt, same with squash or zucchini. Tomatoes not ripening fast enough, slice them green and roll in cornmeal and fry until brown. Want to make them special, throw in some onions. Aint got enough of one veggi for a mess, mix the okra, squash, zucchini together and throw in some onions and fry until good and brown. as Grandpaw Jones used to say, Yum Yum
I could live off that!

I love my burgers smothered in sated onions, but you can keep all the sweet sugary stuff, they try to sweeten everything up here also.

I eat my Cheerios with milk, no sugar! They taste just fine, and I like my coffee light, but no sugar, stopped that a long time ago, now I can't stand if it is in there.

If you need to sweeten something, Honey or Cinnamon are good healthy choices. Garlic and Olive Oil are also very good for ya and should be included in your diet. I also try to avoid fried foods, and processed meat to just once in a while.

Diabetes, you say?

Diabetes, you say?
I call that the 5 second rule, just wait five seconds and someone else will usually say it, besides I would probably have gotten called a Yankee, your more southern than the south knows what to do with :).
Think I'm gonna scrounge up a leftover burger myself, heavy on the Garlic(that's good for you too Mike ;)), heavy on the ketchup as well as the spicy mustard, no bun as I can't have them, and a slice of cheese :sweet:.

I love my burgers smothered in sated onions, but you can keep all the sweet sugary stuff, they try to sweeten everything up here also.
I also try to avoid fried foods, and processed meat to just once in a while.
But Mike, I have to eat more than just once in a while. By chance, you didn't ask them to put maple syrup on your grits did you? That will get a Yankee into big trouble, Joe.

Lol. I miss southern food. We lived in Arkansas and Mississippi for 14 years. A stones throw from Louisiana so we got the usual southern fare plus the Cajun influence. In Louisiana, if it don't take two flippin days to cook it, it ain't no good. Lol. And grits I love em but the rest of the family calls it wallpaper paste. And don't get me started on shrimp and crawfish!
Now we live in the land of beef where everyone cooks the absolute bejesus out of it and serves with mashed potatoes and peas 3 times a week. Sigh. Better get scrounging because it gets cold here in another 12 weeks!

While on the topic of American diet, a work mate of mine from Canada told me they crossed over the border to go to a country fair a few years ago. She told me the locals were lining up for deep fried butter on a stick!.... Tell me that's not true, that would be a heart attack on a stick. LOL

While on the topic of American diet, a work mate of mine from Canada told me they crossed over the border to go to a country fair a few years ago. She told me the locals were lining up for deep fried butter on a stick!.... Tell me that's not true, that would be a heart attack on a stick. LOL
Heard of it!

I was born in 56, growing up a Soft drink was a treat. When I was forced to go to the Hair Dresser with my Mom, she would give me a dime and I could get a 7 ounce grape soda from the machine in the lobby. Kids had milk with meals, in the summer we were allowed sweet tea, with dinner only. Now, if you go to Mcdonalds for breakfast, you'll see a few old folks getting their free cup of coffee, and everyone else has a Super Sized soda. From the time I can first remember till I was in high school, I probably didn't drink a six pack of soda's a year, now kids drink 6 a day easy. I'm lucky my kids are health nuts and drink very few soda's. I drink a lot of coffee, usually a pot a day. A couple years ago my buddy and I went up to my hunting camp. I worked the night shift at the time and left as soon as I got home, Friday morning. We got to camp about noon and the first thing I did was put a pot of coffee on. We always bought a small box of sugar and left it on the table, and it always got knocked over. So, I got a tea cup and filled it with sugar and put a spoon in it. Sunday morning when I put the coffee on I saw the sugar cup was empty, and realized that in a day and a half I had drank that whole cup of sugar in my coffee. My buddy drinks a good bit of coffee also, but takes his black. I quit using sugar in my coffee and now put a shake of cinnamon in it instead. I can't say I've grown to like my coffee better black, but I can live with it, Joe.

Latest posts

Back