Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was drinking a 12 pack of regular mountain dew a day in college. Got fat, lost some of the weight and switched to diet soda then to sparkling water. I also started drinking coffee so now I drink about a half to a whole pot of black coffee to start the day then switch to sparkling water. Diet soda only when eating out or very occasionally at home.

I have far fewer headaches on the coffee and water.

My one vice is red meat. I have very good genetics but my paternal grandmother's side had high cholesterol despite being very thin people.

I have learned to live without putting sugar in everything. took a while to get over the sweet tea. My wife can make a gallon of tea with one of those small tea bags. Shes always been like this. She never put sugar in it either. I hated it, more like colored water, and she always made a separate pitcher for me. One day I was at the res at the dental clinic, the diabetes clinic was right next door so I decided to get my sugar checked. 360 and the nurse almost had a heart attack. That was at least 20 years ago. Since then, sweet tea became off limits, I learned to drink the colored water my wife called tea. I order water when we go out to eat. She makes cakes and pies using stivia. Oatmill and grits, just gets cinnamon and butter. I seldom drink any kind of soda and a 6 pack of beer will last me a month or more. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and keep a glass of water setting on my desk. after all those years, its still hard to walk by a rack of litl debbies and not pick one up, or go to a family reunion and not hit the table with all the pies, cakes and cookies.

Unsweet tea is definitely an acquired taste!

I am a fiend for salty treats so when I am watching what I eat it is pretty easy to avoid sweets but saying no to stuff like potato chips drive me crazy.

I was doing great last fall, had lost 33 lbs. Put about half of that back on over the winter. About time to hit the low carb stuff again since vacation ends today.

I was drinking a 12 pack of regular mountain dew a day in college. Got fat, lost some of the weight and switched to diet soda then to sparkling water. I also started drinking coffee so now I drink about a half to a whole pot of black coffee to start the day then switch to sparkling water. Diet soda only when eating out or very occasionally at home.

I have far fewer headaches on the coffee and water.

My one vice is red meat. I have very good genetics but my paternal grandmother's side had high cholesterol despite being very thin people.
That's how I was with Mt Dew, couple 2 liters a day, but I never gained a lb as I was working my butt off in the Fl heat back then.
Coffee :drinkingcoffee:, red meat :barbecue::sweet:.
Glad you don't have the headaches Steve that says a good bit about your diet/health.

That's some good looking scrounge there, snob wood, right mr @farmer steve :).
Thanks for noticing. 32" rounds. I took two rounds each trip after I busted them down a little with my "Big Ox" maul I keep with me. I had to put three pieces in my front floor board on the second trip.

I don't add salt or pepper to anything. I don't even own a salt n pepper shaker. I don't add sugar to anything either. Ever. Everything already has enough of that stuff in it. I dont drink coffee, don't own a TV, and dont have facebook/twitter garbage.
I don't either :innocent:.

Thanks for noticing. 32" rounds. I took two rounds each trip after I busted them down a little with my "Big Ox" maul I keep with me. I had to put three pieces in my front floor board on the second trip.
That's awesome, some very good wood right there, just watch out for black ants :surprised3:.
I would have to take my saws/equipment or the kids out of the suburban to get any wood in it lol.

Red meat is fine, just don't eat processed stuff, and keep it lean and rare (I just love my venison steaks). Over cooking destroys the good stuff in it. I like my steaks & venison rare.

All the studies that said how bad red meat is included processed meats ... avoid them.

This new trend of bacon on everything just has me shaking my head. Don't people look in the mirror? I love ice cream & bacon (not together), but I make both of them "rare treats". I also garden and eat lots of veggies, including broccoli (which I also grow). I'll often order sauteed broccoli (in stead of fries) with my burger (no bun), it comes with garlic & olive oil and taste great! (and like the meat, it should be under cooked)

If I exercise regularly and keep my weight down, my total & good cholesterol #s are dramatically better, as is my blood pressure. Over the years I have written my weight down on the information with my test results, and the path to better #s becomes very clear.

One of my Grandfathers passed at 65 when I was in my early teens. He stubbornly stated he had smoked since he was 16 and he would smoke till he died, and that is just what he did. I felt cheated, he was a really great guy, bought my brother and I our first BB guns, etc. I resolved then and there that I would do what I could be stay around longer for my Grandkids (that I would hopefully have).

Well, I have 3 Grandkids, and I will be 65 in less than a month, and I plan to be around for them for many years to come. And yes, I got them their first BB guns, their first Bow & Arrows, their first Knives & Hatchets, etc.

Have to go soon, my Grand Daughter is 3 today!!! The boys (her brothers) are currently 8 & 10.

Here is a recent pic up at my cabin, playing range instructor, for my 2 Grandsons, 2 of my brother's, and one of his Grand Daughters.

Attachments

• IMG_7038.JPG
    IMG_7038.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
I burned a fair bit of silver maple last season. It doesn't throw the heat of sugar maple but then not much does. I found the silver maple coals nice and gives a decent burn time. I won't turn it down.
As was correctly pointed out by chipper1, I am a wood snob. But we have a ton of oak in Maryland. Sometimes I will burn silver maple and cherry as shoulder wood in late October and early March.

Back