Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this few days ago [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
8e8d09e15339523d51de0c4cf72ebd07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Just scored a nice scrounge of black locust! It's like the unicorn of wood for scrounging here. Found it on Facebook and arrived to find out the pieces were much larger than I could determine from her posting. Good thing I brought the 285, it made quick work of it. Best part was the guy loaded as I cut. Filled my truck in a hurry. There's some nice straight sections that I'm going to mill. I told them I would cut them a plank. They are going to hold the rest for me. I'll get pictures later.

IMG_1605.JPG Usually I scrounge and cut onsite, haul the rounds home and heap them in a pile, split them and huck the splits into another pile. The sun and wind does its work and then I stack under my deck for the winter.
This year is so wet that the rounds are super wet and the pile isn't drying fast enough to suit me. So this morning my daughter and I dragged a couple racks out from under the deck and filled them from the pile. Out in the open, it won't take long to dry. Two more racks like this along with what I already have stacked, will fulfill my winter needs. Everything else will be for next year.

Just scored a nice scrounge of black locust! It's like the unicorn of wood for scrounging here. Found it on Facebook and arrived to find out the pieces were much larger than I could determine from her posting. Good thing I brought the 285, it made quick work of it. Best part was the guy loaded as I cut. Filled my truck in a hurry. There's some nice straight sections that I'm going to mill. I told them I would cut them a plank. They are going to hold the rest for me. I'll get pictures later.

Enjoy that acacia! I'm looking forward to burning the stuff i got recently. Split sooooo easily! fiskared and stacked half a cord in 3 hours, that's lightning for me!

I don't think that picture is of beech (as I know it), and the description says they have to be dropped yet. Buyer beware?
Funny, I did not bother to look. You're spot on. I was just opening up the add Dancan posted because once the add is removed from a site the post ends up worthless. Just guessing it looks like ash off the top of my non expert head.

Awesome. I got the 3/4 wrap and large dawgs for my 562 this spring. Have a 20, 24, and 28" bar for it.
They sure look good, much nicer for falling and even limbing. Have 24, 28, and 32" for mine, use the 24 most but the new tech light 28 feels about the same. Will prolly be using it more, but I hate to get it dirty, lol.

They sure look good, much nicer for falling and even limbing. Have 24, 28, and 32" for mine, use the 24 most but the new tech light 28 feels about the same. Will prolly be using it more, but I hate to get it dirty, lol.
With yours being ported I'm sure it will rip up the western wood really well. I used mine on hardwood with the 28" and it pulled and oiled just fine.

Not really a scrounge but helped my dad on the weekend trimmed the mulberry, cut down a bottle brush tree which was about 1' from his house. Then cut down 4 dead casuarina's, I cut the tops out with my multi tool pole saw last year. Good timing to take down these trees as my dad is in the process of replacing the boundary fence, this one would have taken out the fence.

This one was about Ø20", the 550XP made light work of it with the 16" bar, used 2 tanks to do all the days work...... My dad was very happy with all the help!
upload_2017-7-10_9-19-15.png

Just past the boundary line.
upload_2017-7-10_9-23-34.png

My 4 year old loved that I built him a bridge.
upload_2017-7-10_9-25-33.png

Not really a scrounge but helped my dad on the weekend trimmed the mulberry, cut down a bottle brush tree which was about 1' from his house. Then cut down 4 dead casuarina's, I cut the tops out with my multi tool pole saw last year. Good timing to take down these trees as my dad is in the process of replacing the boundary fence, this one would have taken out the fence.

This one was about Ø20", the 550XP made light work of it with the 16" bar, used 2 tanks to do all the days work...... My dad was very happy with all the help!
View attachment 589836

Just past the boundary line.
View attachment 589840

My 4 year old loved that I built him a bridge.
View attachment 589841

I don't speak from personal experience but casuarinas are supposed to be very good firewood.

Latest posts

Back