Fun question. What saw should I get next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't a 20 inch bar on a 460 not really using the saw to it's potential?
I'm running a 8 pin sprocket and rapid super cut chain with the rakers nice and low, I dare you to cut with it and try not to grin lol. All jokes aside I have bigger saws with bigger bars but when cutting firewood I rarely choose to cut anything bigger than about 20 inches anyway so it works good and makes a lot of sawdust in a hurry.

I'd think with the 8 pin it would be fun Idk if I'm at the skill level to file the rakers down yet especially on a fast cutting powerfully saw lol.

Yeah, it's pretty tough. First you have to find a flat file and a beer. Then you have to put gloves on. Safety glasses are good also. Then all that filing, boy oh boy. ;)

For real, it's easy. There are several easy to use depth gauge (raker) guides to help get it done. Filing your rakers is as important as every other step of sharpening a chain. A sharp cutter isn't much good if the raker keeps it out of the wood.

Personally, I didn't like the 8 pin on my stock 460, even with a 20" bar. I like having the torque the 7 pin gives you.

I like shorter bars as well, they cut a bit faster and the chains are cheaper to buy and sharpen (if you don't do it yourself). My 2186 usually wears a 20" unless I know I am getting into larger wood then I will take the 24 or 28 along. Although I often cut in rocky terrain and the extra bar length sticking out usually finds a rock.

I'm running a 20 on an 064 right now.

You'll definitely be happier going to a 460 over a 360 already owning a smaller saw.

I've got an eye on a real nice looking 028s on eBay for pretty cheap. Just thinking about the getting shot part if I buy. Any one know if the bar off my 290 will fit the 028s it's a .325 20 inch bar. I'd like to switch my 290 to a 24 inch 3/8s bar. The 20 inch bar is a pretty much new rollomatic bar.

I've got an eye on a real nice looking 028s on eBay for pretty cheap. Just thinking about the getting shot part if I buy. Any one know if the bar off my 290 will fit the 028s it's a .325 20 inch bar. I'd like to switch my 290 to a 24 inch 3/8s bar. The 20 inch bar is a pretty much new rollomatic bar.

I mean, you can do whatever you want, but to me a 24" 3/8 bar and chain on an ms290 is basically useless. A .325 20" bar makes sense. An 18" 3/8 bar would be good also. If you want a new saw, and you want a saw to run a 24" bar, stop shopping for an 028...

Also, personally I'd be very hesitant to buy saws on eBay. There's so many great deals from reputable members here that eBay holds very little appeal for me.

It's a muffler modded 390 rebuild not a stock 290. I won't pay a lot of money for something off eBay because you never know what u are getting but for 100 dollars I don't think you can go wrong. There's nothing cheap in this area on Craigslist because my 2 choices for local cl are both cities where people think there stuff is worth gold. There's a broken 026 for 150.. that's a bad deal.

I'm looking for a saw to use most of the time id like to have a large bar saw for those few times I need it.

So you use that big of a saw for cutting an entire tree? Limbing too? I'm not looking for a new saw at all. I'd prefer a used saw even one that needs a new piston and cylinder for a good price.

I use an 044 with a 25" bar for the most part including limbing. Is it really necessary for the limbing I typically do? No it's not, but at my height it reduces the amount of stoop when limbing so I use it the most to go easier on the back.

I never thought I would use a 20" on my 461....I cut hardwoods most all the time and the 20" on the 461 is like a light saber....white oak, hickory, don't matter flys threw it....

Hell sometimes when I have the 25" bar on the 461 I end up cutting the smaller limbs that I would usually use a smaller saw for, just so fast and easy....I can cut a lot of wood on one tank of gas in the 461...

Looks like the 20 inch bar is the way to go. This site is funny depending on how old posts are and where you read them you get totally different opinions. That's the reason this is in the fire wood section. The last thread I read on here a few months ago basically said you are an idiot if you are not working the saw to it's potential. It was from a few years back and about the difference in clutch sprockets sizes.

Still haven't decided what I want but 300 dollars is probably my limit.

Looks like the 20 inch bar is the way to go. This site is funny depending on how old posts are and where you read them you get totally different opinions. That's the reason this is in the fire wood section. The last thread I read on here a few months ago basically said you are an idiot if you are not working the saw to it's potential. It was from a few years back and about the difference in clutch sprockets sizes.

Still haven't decided what I want but 300 dollars is probably my limit.
Over the years different caudres of people come and go. A clique or two form and then they get into a pissing match and half of them leave.

Five years ago, even a recreational wood cutter was chastised for not having a pro saw (and it should be ported too!).
Three years ago you would be chastised for even thinking about porting your own saw or sending to any but the top three or four builders on here.
Now you have many folks doing it themselves and even guys who are porting the "lowly" homeowner saws and creating some pretty strong running beasts.

There's a lot of great info here sometimes I may read to much into it. There's a reason I don't ask opinions in the chainsaw forum, I'm just a homeowner who could probably get by with 2 poulan pros for cutting my firewood. I use that forum for questions about specific chainsaws.

I'm trying to get opinions from other fire wood cutters on a good quality older saw that's not a clamshell homeowner saw even though those all have worked well for me. I cant be the only one lol.

I think you are better off asking in here. You won't get the standard "buy a new pro saw and port it" answer from a guy who doesn't cut or burn wood lol.

Back