I did get an 088....need an 48" bar!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I did buy an used 088 and am looking on getting an 48" bar. What bar should I get? Can I change it to .375 chain or keep the .404 chain or what do you think.(it will be all hard wood and no milling) plus is it the same mount as an 440,460,310 or is it bigger?

thanks guys.

Yes, it's a different mount. Bailey's catalog shows 41" and 50" bars to Woodsman Pro bars to fit the 088. A lot of people prefer the Cannon bars for something that big. Not sure of a source.

Yes, it's a different mount. Bailey's catalog shows 41" and 50" bars to Woodsman Pro bars to fit the 088. A lot of people prefer the Cannon bars for something that big. Not sure of a source.

I believe Cannon and WoodsmanPro are the same bars, with different painting.

I could be totally wrong, but doesn't the woodsman have an oregon tip, which seems to be the achille's of oregon bars?

I could be totally wrong, but doesn't the woodsman have an oregon tip, which seems to be the achille's of oregon bars?

I don't know, have not had a Woodsman Pro since 97'. I only use Cannon tips anymore. The Oregon Pro tips is too hard and literally chips away - I like the Cannon, becase there is not much wear - but the bearings stick. I buy em' by the dozen from Madsen's.

Stihl has a nice 41 and 59 inch bar... no 48.. all 0.404 063. You can change the tips, but .404 is great chain on a big saw.

The 41 is relatively cheap - about $92, but the 59 gets up there.. about $325..

Well how much is the 50"..... plus how do you find out how many drive links to the size of the bar?

Thanks guys.

Golly 310 you gonna change your handle now??? and who cares what it cost, ya already spent tha big bucks on tha powerhead?????

Should change my handle cuz the 310 sure isnt much of an saw when its by the 088.... I got it pretty cheap so dont really want to spend to much for an bar but I think I just mite have to.
Jack

I don't know, have not had a Woodsman Pro since 97'. I only use Cannon tips anymore. The Oregon Pro tips is too hard and literally chips away - I like the Cannon, becase there is not much wear - but the bearings stick. I buy em' by the dozen from Madsen's.

Somewhere, some time, I read that Cannon used Oregon tips, I am pretty sure - but not sure if it was true or not.......:confused: :help:

Last edited:
I did buy an used 088 and am looking on getting an 48" bar. What bar should I get? Can I change it to .375 chain or keep the .404 chain or what do you think.(it will be all hard wood and no milling) plus is it the same mount as an 440,460,310 or is it bigger?

thanks guys.

My $.02 on chain pitch. I used to run .404 on all my 084 bars until recently. Last weekend I ran two cuts back to back with a 44" bar in 36" water oak, one with fresh full comp chisel .404 and the other with fresh cull comp chisel 3/8 for comparison. The 3/8 cut much faster and with less vibration. However, after bucking large hardwoods for for about 6 hours with the 3/8 (44"), I noticed that I had to take up the slack about 3 times before it "settled in" vs. only the once or twice .404 would require.

Back