Stihl 026 (used from 1997, yay or nay)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Quick Yay or Nay!

Being offered a Stihl 026, for around 190$ (Live In Denmark, Europe, so prices a little higher here)

The thing is, its from 1997, but it runs well, starts easy, sounds and looks good.

What is the generel thought on an older 026, that looks to be in ok shape?

Thanks for all answers!

Really depends on how good a condition it is. I have a feeling the 026's were better than the MS260's. What's that like 165 euros?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

If it's in good Nick I'd say that's on a par for the UK market

026's are amazing. They're a great single-saw solution for someone who isn't planning to cut huge trees.

They're the perfect smaller saw in a two-saw setup.

I'm not sure what your dollar is worth over there, but if you're in need of a great smaller saw, and it's in good mechanical condition AND the value makes sense; go for it.

Have several 026/MS260 in my collection and I think they are the handiest saws I own. As said earlier, if you're not cutting big stuff it should meet all of your needs.
I would check the compression before you buy and pull the muffler to check the piston skirt if they will let you.

As said above, depends on condition. A good running fully functional 026 here in the US will bring $200 US dollars without any problem. I have even seen non running parts saws bring $100.

Really depends on how good a condition it is. I have a feeling the 026's were better than the MS260's. What's that like 165 euros?

026 and the ms260 are the same saw, just one has flippy caps and in the EU there is no fear of the flippy. I have seen more than 1 026-MS260 conversion with no loss of power. I own several and they are a great saw.

For the most part, I don't look at or buy used saws. But, if one is in exceptional condition, it does spark my curiosity some. It makes me as interested in it's history as the actual saw itself.

I've seen saws for sale that were obviously ran hard, put away wet, and then drove over with a couple of times with a truck. I mean in really poor shape. And, the seller is asking a serious chunk of change for the damn things. :dizzy:

Let's face it. Chainsaws get used and abused more often than not. Most up for sale are representatives of such treatment. Which is fine with me, cause it makes it all that much easier to separate the good from the bad.

Hi folks!

Quick Yay or Nay!

Being offered a Stihl 026, for around 190$ (Live In Denmark, Europe, so prices a little higher here)

The thing is, its from 1997, but it runs well, starts easy, sounds and looks good.

What is the generel thought on an older 026, that looks to be in ok shape?

Thanks for all answers!

My friend I would say you got a good deal. As long as it is mechanically sound then you have one of the best saws out there. Running condition trumps cosmetics in my book. The 026 will serve you well for many years to come.

026 and the ms260 are the same saw, just one has flippy caps and in the EU there is no fear of the flippy. I have seen more than 1 026-MS260 conversion with no loss of power. I own several and they are a great saw.
I know they are the same saw, just was under the impression that the cylinders and their porting were marginally different in the production runs.

I know they are the same saw, just was under the impression that the cylinders and their porting were marginally different in the production runs.

The port numbers are almost exact between the 44mm 026 and the 44mm 260.

The 44.7 260, which is few of them, has a looser squish that can run without a base gasket safely-in general YMMV. The 44mm jugs usually come in with a .009 squish sans gasket, the 44.7 around .017.

To the OP, great little saws. They can be modded to make great power. They aren't as fast as a Husky 346, but they are much more durable.

ok here are some pictures, it's used for sure.... compression feels very good though (cord hold by hand trick)
Muffler looks like it needs a replacement right?

WP_20170718_22_27_13_Pro.jpg WP_20170718_22_27_02_Pro.jpg WP_20170718_22_26_54_Pro.jpg WP_20170718_22_26_43_Pro.jpg

Did I make a mistake here...based on pictures? having mixed feelings but it runs VERY smooth and starts like a brand new

Back