Stihl 441 cm playing up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastbeast

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
G'day everyone

My 441 m-tronic has been playing up lately. Seems to be running ok, but at wide open throttle it suddenly dies. First it started sparodically at heavy load, now it does it pretty much every cut and even just holding it flat out not cutting. It dies much the same as running out of fuel or hitting the kill switch, one second it's revving, next it's not.

I gave it a run without the air filter cover and it didn't die once. I'm not sure what to link the cause and effect there.

Anyone ever had anything similar?

Cheers

Have you tried resetting the mtronic start the saw on cold start and run for 60 seconds don't blip the throttle go straight to the off position.Then restart the saw and see if that makes any difference

Have you tried resetting the mtronic start the saw on cold start and run for 60 seconds don't blip the throttle go straight to the off position.Then restart the saw and see if that makes any difference

Yes, tried that several times. Made no difference so far. It seems to be tuning itself fine without the cover on.

Have you checked fuel line ? Had a soft line on 660 that started clasping line at full throttle died every cut.

I hate to be Mr obvious here but have you thought that perhaps something is wrong with the air filter?

I bet it's a hd2 that looks clean but is completely stopped up.
There the worst filter I've ever seen
It can look new and be stopped up.

Put your mouth to it and see if you can blow through it

Aftermarket filter? I just read a thread on here(038) I believe doing something similar. I think it was sucking the choke shut killing the saw under wot. Made me think the same thing being you pulled the filter and it didn't die.

Put a brand new genuine filter on, thought it was back to normal- then proceeded to do the same thing again both with and without the cover on after about half a tankful.

Latest posts

Back