Kinetic Splitter-Woodmaxx LS34 any insights?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewaldf.carstens

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I am in the market for kinetic log splitter in addition to my Tajfun RCA 480 to run a second line for the smaller logs. This is to utilize the RCA to its full capacity. (I have too many orders and can't stay ahead).

I have noted the Woodmaxx at $1750, which is a very good price. Does anyone own this machine or is there any feedback on the company?

Help appreciated.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

I'd be leery of any of the 'copies', lots of problems in the last 5-6 years.

Get the Super Split, it's bullet proof with a long track record.

I'd be leery of any of the 'copies', lots of problems in the last 5-6 years.

Get the Super Split, it's bullet proof with a long track record.
Yes send them enquiry, as I am near Cape Town, South Africa. Will see what they say. It's about double the price, but should cover the extra cost in couple months.

Yes send them enquiry, as I am near Cape Town, South Africa. Will see what they say. It's about double the price, but should cover the extra cost in couple months.

SÊ does not ship to this part of the world .. shame..... will have to contact Dr then.

I would say the Woodmaxx would be a good machine based off all the other products that company sells and have yet to find any bad reviews on their woodchippers/snowblower/backhoes, ect. Considering you can order two of the Woodmaxx 34 ton splitters for less than one of the Supersplits/Splitsecond ect machines I have been tempted at ordering one myself. They also come with a 2 year warranty/ 1 year commercial so use the snot out of it before warranty is void and that would give you a good idea.

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Woodmaxx splitter. I just looked up the replacement pinion and it is only $73.50 and the rack is $95 so $168.5 to replace the unit. Now considering it has a two year warranty I wouldn't expect it to fail within two years so lets say even if I had to replace it every 2 years the difference in price between it and a supersplit I could replace the rack and pinion almost 9 times. Now considering that I'm sure supersplit charges $400 or so to ship their unit I could replace the rack several more times for the same cost if I had to (assuming it will fail, who knows). I'm going to call and ask some questions tomorrow like pinion width, and work table width. I also do not see any bearings to fail on the push block end of the ram instead looks like they used some HD poly. I also like that the engine is down low instead of up high on the SS I hate the engine always screaming right next to my ear. I guess I don't understand why SS has not updated their design with some creature comforts instead of staying stagnant in the market.

SÊ does not ship to this part of the world .. shame..... will have to contact Dr then.

Paul wouldn't ship to me in NZ either. Am glad I didn't take no for an answer and found a way regardless. Maybe an AS member in USA will step up and offer to procure one for you.
salignaFirewood.jpg

Paul wouldn't ship to me in NZ either. Am glad I didn't take no for an answer and found a way regardless. Maybe an AS member in USA will step up and offer to procure one for you.
View attachment 593735
How did you get around it? Hydraulic splitters in SA is more expensive and much slower than the locals.

I only want to use this on logs 200mm and smaller, and put the big stuff through the processor, just to use to optimal potential.

If someone gave me $200k, I would invest blindly in equipment. My market is way too large. If I had 4x Cord Kings running 24/7, they would still buy more than I can produce. The Gum dried in Feb to below 18% in 3 weeks, Core moisture.

A USA resident bought it and I arranged the collection from their place and export. But they are no longer in USA.

I've pissed off too many Americans on this site to expect any favours from any of 'em these days so I couldn't point you to any either.

Yours sounds like a great market to be in. If you are constantly selling out, how far do you think you could raise prices to only just sell out each year?

200mm is a great size for the SS, although you might find you could go a bit bigger if that better suits your processor. You may also benefit from running the SS in two batches - say, sub-300 and sub-150, with the latter using a 4-way wedge (and with a few other modifications) like this enterprising AS member:

A USA resident bought it and I arranged the collection from their place and export. But they are no longer in USA.

I've pissed off too many Americans on this site to expect any favours from any of 'em these days so I couldn't point you to any either.

Yours sounds like a great market to be in. If you are constantly selling out, how far do you think you could raise prices to only just sell out each year?

200mm is a great size for the SS, although you might find you could go a bit bigger if that better suits your processor. You may also benefit from running the SS in two batches - say, sub-300 and sub-150, with the latter using a 4-way wedge (and with a few other modifications) like this enterprising AS member:
Kiwi, thanks for reply. At exchange $1=R10
We sell at $65 at farm to wholesalers. $80 if we deliver in town 20km away. $2 per 25l bag. $90 within 75km radius.
Cape Town same Gum sell for $135 excl delivery.
I recon that we can't do much about wholesale prices, but if we deliver in Cape Town, at $135 (cost of transport should be $10), then that would be great for our bottom line.
We have customers who ordered 13000 tons for 2018, so I am working on update of our business plan to get funding for equipment. Looking at $150k for winch, tractor (orchard model)(can go along rows of trees) and then go for Rapido Loco 20. Cutter bars don't last with gum here, so I want to go circular saw route.

The figures makes good sence, and I need spare capacity. There is large shortages of dry firewood in Western Cape.
I recon we could sell 30 000 tons per year in the next 3 years if we can produce it. We have access to enough wood, so it's just funding (equipment) we need to get there.

Most of the trees are sub 300mm, but I would keep ss for sub 200 stuff, every tree has those.i bought a 700mm circular saw with petrol engine few weeks ago, so I can have that and ss running a thinning operation as well at another site.

How much can you split per hr running 2 man crew?

Thanks for that info. Sounds like you are in one of those 'once in a lifetime' situations where all the stars align and make it possible (albeit scary) to get some serious volume and the gear to process it. That wholesale pricing and differential to retail is familiar. I think it must be a similar case around the world where the closer we get to the primary producer of an agricultural or forestry commodity the less actual profit there is. Conversely, the closer to the retail end of the market, the fatter the margins.

If the numbers stack up on the wholesale end by itself then the retail end will be the nice cherry worth chasing once all the new toys...er, I mean...tools are operational. Personally, I decided long ago I'd be on homicide charges within a year if I had to deal with the public every day, so I just look over the retail fence every now and then and covet thy neighbours margins. :)

So, firewood is sold per ton in your market, rather than volume (stacked or thrown)? Is that weight at a prescribed moisture content? Otherwise it could vary a fair bit between green and seasoned. You did mention 18% MC in an earlier post. Is that the max MC you can sell by the ton or do you simply have two prices for a +18% and -18%MC load? I'm not sure I would consider 18%MC seasoned though. I guess a good thing about wholesaling is not having to worry too much about the MC. In fact, if the margins are in the retail side, then they should be buying green and seasoning/sitting on it themselves I reckon - but it's difficult here to find anyone willing to do that.

I'm guessing at about 550kg/m3 green density for plantation gum (varies a lot between species though). So, a ton would be a little under 2m3. But here in NZ we mainly work in m3 of thrown firewood. A m3 of log (depending on the plantation species and age there may not be any bark at all or next to none anyway) equates to about 1.6-1.8m3 of thrown firewood. So, very roughly, I'm assuming a m3 of thrown gum firewood here would represent about 300kgs. If two people were working from a pile of logs around the 200-300mm diameter range, it would be about 3-4m3 (thrown) per hour, or about 22m3 per day allowing for breaks and various incidentals that can slow us down like refuelling, having a bad day, changing chains, shooting the breeze with co-workers, etc, etc, and that's about 1.4m3 (thrown) per labour unit. If you employed those two workers for a 40 hr week, they'd produce about 110m3(thrown) per week. Bringing that back to a tonnage rate at green moisture contents means about 33 tons a week.

But there are plenty of assumptions in the figures above that could materially change them. I always try to be conservative, so the actual, realised numbers could much better in real-world scenarios.

If you are able to process the gums green then that's easier, generally. Depends on the species but it seems to work out that way here for gums. Tweaking your SS to add the slip-on 4-way wedge like member CUCV did, as well as his extra flywheel, would significantly improve those figures above, if the gum stays green. I'm thinking if you limited the SS stuff to sub-200mm and got smart with bucking tables or that bucking saw you mentioned (we call those buzz saws here) you should achieve double those above numbers, so about 3m3 per labour unit/66 tons per week.

If you are harvesting, are you debarking or are these one of those species that don't really have bark? Also, how small a stem are you going down to and what happens with the rest? I ask because if the whole stem could be debarked/delimbed, but you find there's no point dealing with the small stuff because it takes more in labour than what you can recover in value of firewood produced, then I would also suggest you take a good look at the Bilke S3 processor. It's that green thing in the background on my photo above.

I got annoyed with leaving good, but small, wood behind on my jobs because it just didn't stack up to process it into firewood nor chip it. But the S3 changed the numbers. One average, real-world worker alongside a pile of small diameter logs (I go down to about 50mm in some species but around 75mm in most) will create about 30-40m3 (it varies considerably) a day. So, about 4.3m3 per labour unit, 175m3 (52tons) per week. If green, depending on the species, it can handle 150 and below, with the occasional stuff over 150mm but under 200mm. And it shears, not cuts, and stays remarkably sharp. No need to sharpen blades or chains. There are three drawbacks with it though - it needs to be tweaked a little to stay safe - guards around the in-feed belt wheels because an inattentive worker with loose clothing will not last long-, it needs a grill off the out-feed to separate out the trash (or you need a tumbler which you may already have given the volumes you are talking) because it creates heaps of trash so this is a must, and the split wood is a bit messy - not like the cleanly split wood of a SS. It depends on your market. Here, I can get away with it, especially if the output is mixed back into the firewood stream from the SS. It is a wonderful machine that I consider best in its class, much like the SS is arguably best it its class.

I only mention this machine because it looks like you have control over the harvesting, may already be debarking/delimbing down to small diameters, can process it green (an absolute must for gum in the Bilke S3 because it's too hard on the machine if dry gum - I have to limit it to sub100 in that case, just to be safe - haven't busted anything yet and occasionally a 200mm dry bit of something sneaks in there).

If you are getting the CRD rapido loco 20, are you getting a conveyor/tumbler? If you are getting the loco, and had control over the stems such that you could feed the small delimbed stems to a Bilke S3, I'm not sure I'd be chasing a SS. Instead, I'd stockpile the 250-150mm stems/logs and run them as a batch run through the loco with a 6-way wedge rather than their 8-way wedge. then, the green sub-150mm stems would go straight through the Bilke S3. Also, it might be worth asking CRD if they have customers who do actually process small stuff with their RL20, but just let a bunch of pieces drop into the splitting chute before pushing it through the 8-way. It may work fine it may be a nightmare - but worth asking.

Alternatively, if you are not obligated to take or process the sub-150mm wood, then perhaps just leave it behind when you thin and price the jobs accordingly so that someone else can mess with those, and you just deal with the larger stuff and don't worry about a SS or small-wood machine, rather just let that Rapido Loco eat as much as it can handle. Still could do 250-150logs in a separate batch using a 6-way wedge instead of the 8-way. I mean, the sweet spot for that machine is going to be obvious, and if you have a wall of wood ahead of you, there may not be any point trying to mess with the small stuff, unless you can't find a way out of that or a local small processor crowd who you can associate with to do the smaller stuff.

I'm just throwing ideas out there. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like a great position to be in. Provided the customers who are saying they could order big numbers, are willing to front with letters of credit or you can completely trust them before you commit yourself to the machinery.

By the way, if you are ordering a CRD direct, and handling your own shipping/import then I'm sure you could convince CRD to find a way to get a SS into the same can before you float it all to you ;-)

Thanks for that info. Sounds like you are in one of those 'once in a lifetime' situations where all the stars align and make it possible (albeit scary) to get some serious volume and the gear to process it. That wholesale pricing and differential to retail is familiar. I think it must be a similar case around the world where the closer we get to the primary producer of an agricultural or forestry commodity the less actual profit there is. Conversely, the closer to the retail end of the market, the fatter the margins.

If the numbers stack up on the wholesale end by itself then the retail end will be the nice cherry worth chasing once all the new toys...er, I mean...tools are operational. Personally, I decided long ago I'd be on homicide charges within a year if I had to deal with the public every day, so I just look over the retail fence every now and then and covet thy neighbours margins. :)

So, firewood is sold per ton in your market, rather than volume (stacked or thrown)? Is that weight at a prescribed moisture content? Otherwise it could vary a fair bit between green and seasoned. You did mention 18% MC in an earlier post. Is that the max MC you can sell by the ton or do you simply have two prices for a +18% and -18%MC load? I'm not sure I would consider 18%MC seasoned though. I guess a good thing about wholesaling is not having to worry too much about the MC. In fact, if the margins are in the retail side, then they should be buying green and seasoning/sitting on it themselves I reckon - but it's difficult here to find anyone willing to do that.

I'm guessing at about 550kg/m3 green density for plantation gum (varies a lot between species though). So, a ton would be a little under 2m3. But here in NZ we mainly work in m3 of thrown firewood. A m3 of log (depending on the plantation species and age there may not be any bark at all or next to none anyway) equates to about 1.6-1.8m3 of thrown firewood. So, very roughly, I'm assuming a m3 of thrown gum firewood here would represent about 300kgs. If two people were working from a pile of logs around the 200-300mm diameter range, it would be about 3-4m3 (thrown) per hour, or about 22m3 per day allowing for breaks and various incidentals that can slow us down like refuelling, having a bad day, changing chains, shooting the breeze with co-workers, etc, etc, and that's about 1.4m3 (thrown) per labour unit. If you employed those two workers for a 40 hr week, they'd produce about 110m3(thrown) per week. Bringing that back to a tonnage rate at green moisture contents means about 33 tons a week.

But there are plenty of assumptions in the figures above that could materially change them. I always try to be conservative, so the actual, realised numbers could much better in real-world scenarios.

If you are able to process the gums green then that's easier, generally. Depends on the species but it seems to work out that way here for gums. Tweaking your SS to add the slip-on 4-way wedge like member CUCV did, as well as his extra flywheel, would significantly improve those figures above, if the gum stays green. I'm thinking if you limited the SS stuff to sub-200mm and got smart with bucking tables or that bucking saw you mentioned (we call those buzz saws here) you should achieve double those above numbers, so about 3m3 per labour unit/66 tons per week.

If you are harvesting, are you debarking or are these one of those species that don't really have bark? Also, how small a stem are you going down to and what happens with the rest? I ask because if the whole stem could be debarked/delimbed, but you find there's no point dealing with the small stuff because it takes more in labour than what you can recover in value of firewood produced, then I would also suggest you take a good look at the Bilke S3 processor. It's that green thing in the background on my photo above.

I got annoyed with leaving good, but small, wood behind on my jobs because it just didn't stack up to process it into firewood nor chip it. But the S3 changed the numbers. One average, real-world worker alongside a pile of small diameter logs (I go down to about 50mm in some species but around 75mm in most) will create about 30-40m3 (it varies considerably) a day. So, about 4.3m3 per labour unit, 175m3 (52tons) per week. If green, depending on the species, it can handle 150 and below, with the occasional stuff over 150mm but under 200mm. And it shears, not cuts, and stays remarkably sharp. No need to sharpen blades or chains. There are three drawbacks with it though - it needs to be tweaked a little to stay safe - guards around the in-feed belt wheels because an inattentive worker with loose clothing will not last long-, it needs a grill off the out-feed to separate out the trash (or you need a tumbler which you may already have given the volumes you are talking) because it creates heaps of trash so this is a must, and the split wood is a bit messy - not like the cleanly split wood of a SS. It depends on your market. Here, I can get away with it, especially if the output is mixed back into the firewood stream from the SS. It is a wonderful machine that I consider best in its class, much like the SS is arguably best it its class.

I only mention this machine because it looks like you have control over the harvesting, may already be debarking/delimbing down to small diameters, can process it green (an absolute must for gum in the Bilke S3 because it's too hard on the machine if dry gum - I have to limit it to sub100 in that case, just to be safe - haven't busted anything yet and occasionally a 200mm dry bit of something sneaks in there).

If you are getting the CRD rapido loco 20, are you getting a conveyor/tumbler? If you are getting the loco, and had control over the stems such that you could feed the small delimbed stems to a Bilke S3, I'm not sure I'd be chasing a SS. Instead, I'd stockpile the 250-150mm stems/logs and run them as a batch run through the loco with a 6-way wedge rather than their 8-way wedge. then, the green sub-150mm stems would go straight through the Bilke S3. Also, it might be worth asking CRD if they have customers who do actually process small stuff with their RL20, but just let a bunch of pieces drop into the splitting chute before pushing it through the 8-way. It may work fine it may be a nightmare - but worth asking.

Alternatively, if you are not obligated to take or process the sub-150mm wood, then perhaps just leave it behind when you thin and price the jobs accordingly so that someone else can mess with those, and you just deal with the larger stuff and don't worry about a SS or small-wood machine, rather just let that Rapido Loco eat as much as it can handle. Still could do 250-150logs in a separate batch using a 6-way wedge instead of the 8-way. I mean, the sweet spot for that machine is going to be obvious, and if you have a wall of wood ahead of you, there may not be any point trying to mess with the small stuff, unless you can't find a way out of that or a local small processor crowd who you can associate with to do the smaller stuff.

I'm just throwing ideas out there. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like a great position to be in. Provided the customers who are saying they could order big numbers, are willing to front with letters of credit or you can completely trust them before you commit yourself to the machinery.

By the way, if you are ordering a CRD direct, and handling your own shipping/import then I'm sure you could convince CRD to find a way to get a SS into the same can before you float it all to you ;-)
Yes the stars do align. But is has taken 2 years of talking to wholesale people. In SA the firewood production business is 60 years behind US or EU, so teams handsplitting is the norm. This way margins are small and it is no more sustainable. I have imported the first processor in SA.

We only do Sydney Blue, but the bark is thin and it grows slower, due to shallow soil and lack of water . The stuff along rivers is different story. We don't debark at all. But I would like to in future. Long horn borer is the only reason for this. Most people dont mind though.

Labour here is still affordable, so I still recon ss would be great.

As we get wood free we can leave what ever behind, but I like to keep site clean when we leave. We will look after pruning and trimming tree, so we can harrest same trees in 10 years or so. We actually form on other people's land, for free. I think this is very good idea as long as we keep good relations with farmers.

Yes we will work direct with RL, so they can get machine for us, good idea.

The idea is to deal direct with public, better money. Looking at flat deck track with large trailer and brick crane to deliver , so 15 customers on round trip. The fertilizer bags we get free, 20 000 plus per year, and works great for bulk deliveries. 3 of them is 1.5 cube. Small bags we do for shops, fuel stations. I recon these 2 is the future.
41d5154a817f335cc7e62a3e5f276446.jpg
8153845f4b78e5e3acdf7edb0ac5cb0a.jpg

Latest posts

Back