blaze king

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman23

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all currently looking at picking up a sirroco 30 to add as a second stove to my house to minimize the costs of the expensive electric in floor heat. Does anybody run one of these stoves. Curious if the burn times are as good as they say and roughly how much wood I would need for a winter running it from mid October to April 24/7. Thanks

I have one I did close to 30 hours this spring on a single load. But when its cold out -30c here) you run it full blast and a load lasts as long as any other stove. The control you get is what makes it special.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Interesting. If I run my pacific energy full blast it's over fired In about 2 minutes. I'm lucky to have an easy start off coals 10 hours later.

Really hard to over fire a blaze king as well. I think it's impossible unless you manually break the thermostat system. Or have massive airleaks/bad gaskets

FYI 30 hour burn was on box elder, I bet on oak I could of added a couple more hours. It was a mild day though of course.

I'd say owning a blaze king isn't owning a wood stove, but more like owning a heating appliance. If you like fiddling with your fire or looking at the pretty window this isn't the stove for you. Sure it makes nice flames if you crank it up but most of the time you're running this on low and it looks off and puts out the BTU's at whatever pace you need them. The box is just the fuel tank, you fill it with fuel, and let it consume it without show or fanfare. Just heat.

Good to know that was off box elder as that's my main source of fuel ash and aspen as well. Not looking for a pretty fire that's what the other stove is for just looking to eliminate the cost of hydro. Supposed to be a 46% increase in the next five years here in manitoba. Wood and solar seem like no Brainers at this point

Coincidence. I'm in Manitoba as well ;) And I agree. The days of .07 cent hydro are about to fade.

Right on what part of the province? How many cords of wood would you figure for the winter?

I'm in the south east about 1 hour from Winnipeg.

I always plan to use 5 cords per year of soft wood(jack pine) usually use 3-4ish cords, I save my "harder wood" for january / february, it coals better makes it easier to reload/restart things. We don't burn 24 x 7 I make a fire 5pm to 6am, reload before leaving for work and dial down the thermostat... Depending how cold it is that usually keeps the house warm enough until we get home to reload/restart again. I leave the electric furnace on as backup to take over if things dip too low.

One thing I want to invent/find is a way to remotely control my thermostat ;) We have home automation (wink) and I monitor the house temps via motion detectors. I just wish I could turn the stove back up remotely let's say when I'm on my way home :)

Pretty sure it wouldn't be hard with a simple circuit/arduino and a servo

Interesting. If I run my pacific energy full blast it's over fired In about 2 minutes. I'm lucky to have an easy start off coals 10 hours later.

Even though you leave the BK set at max output, the stove shuts itself down as needed to prevent overfire. It's the thermostat you set to your desired output and then the thermostat controls the actual intake flapper. PE is a great non-cat and BK makes a great cat stove. I own the princess and it really does burn like the literature says.

Another +1 for BK. their VP is quite active online... Head over to the ********** forum, his alias is BKVP and he'll answer any question he's a stand up guy.

I'm in the south east about 1 hour from Winnipeg.

I always plan to use 5 cords per year of soft wood(jack pine) usually use 3-4ish cords, I save my "harder wood" for january / february, it coals better makes it easier to reload/restart things. We don't burn 24 x 7 I make a fire 5pm to 6am, reload before leaving for work and dial down the thermostat... Depending how cold it is that usually keeps the house warm enough until we get home to reload/restart again. I leave the electric furnace on as backup to take over if things dip too low.

One thing I want to invent/find is a way to remotely control my thermostat ;) We have home automation (wink) and I monitor the house temps via motion detectors. I just wish I could turn the stove back up remotely let's say when I'm on my way home :)

Pretty sure it wouldn't be hard with a simple circuit/arduino and a servo

Crazy not that far apart I'm 50 mins south of winnipeg. I'm pretty excited to get my blaze king set up its going to take some house renovations to make it possible but I think it'll be a good investment

Back