Powerhead options for 60" cut capacity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogedy_Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Folks, I know this has been kicked around a few times....but I am finally going to up my cut capacity to a full 60+".

I have a newish 661 and 461...both under 6 months old. I find the 661 to have ZERO problems in 36" hardwood, and I think the 461 would probably do it also, though I haven't tried. I long considered pairing them up on a larger mill, but I've simply fallen in love with the 461 for limbing and bucking for my bandmill. I'd like to leave it dedicated to that purpose.

I'll need a 72" rail set and 84" double end bar to meet my capacity goals. I don't like the idea of jumping to .404, but I'm thinking I won't have a choice. I'll probably end trying the Oregon "superskip" made for the Lucas slabber.

I'll be buying powerhead(s) new from the local Stihl dealer. Not much other option...they treat me great and I have a business account with them.

Considering the above, I've narrowed it down the following three choices.

a) A pair of 661s (I already have one, this option saves me substantial cash).
b) One 880 (Doable, but more expensive than option a. Not sure if its better than (2) 661s).
c) I'm absolutely crazy and need two 880s (I am a little nutty, so this might be true, but this will push my plans back as it's just too much $$ right now).

Please let me know your thoughts on the powerheads, and if it's a an absolute requirement to go to .404 with a bar this long?

My 661 is strong but I haven't run anything bigger than a 36" bar. I would think 2 would do fine plus 2 saws would oil better than 1. I've actually been considering switching to 404 chain. My understanding is it takes more punishment and holds an edge longer. Hopefully you'll get a better answer from others with experience with the longer bars.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Ok, just off the phone with left coast and have an 87"er on order.

Bigger than I planned, but I'm so tired of always needing another 1/2 inch!

Good to know, scheffa.

I've not been milling terribly long. Just started in Jan.

Just a few months ago I thought 36" was about the limit for my 661, but as I've refined the sharpening I realize that's not the case.

The bar is at least 30 days out, and of course I need other parts and chain...so I have plenty of time to think about. What I don't want to do is buy a second 661 and realize it's not enough. Can't afford to make that mistake!

Good to know, scheffa.

I've not been milling terribly long. Just started in Jan.

Just a few months ago I thought 36" was about the limit for my 661, but as I've refined the sharpening I realize that's not the case.

The bar is at least 30 days out, and of course I need other parts and chain...so I have plenty of time to think about. What I don't want to do is buy a second 661 and realize it's not enough. Can't afford to make that mistake!
If you do I could take a 661 off your hands

I have a 60" bar on my ported 084. It pulls it ok. Better than my ported 066 pulled a 42" if that helps any. I have never been around a dual setup.

What do you think power-wise, Bob?

if the 660 has HP=A and the 880 has HP=B and since A>B/2 , then A + A >B
Remember the chain won't go any faster so you won't get twice the cutting speed.
You would have to really work on optimising the chain for that setup to take advantage of the power and improve cutting speed.
I'd be using at least 8º maybe 9º raker angles. Expect significantly greater vibe and B&C wear and tear.

I agree with JT which is why I have not done it.
I like a one man show and minimal phaffing about when milling.
I can just mange one large power head and two would make it unmanageable.

I run my current mills by my lonesome, and wouldn't want it any other way. When I have others around they're I'm charge of moving wood and sweeping and keeping my wedges and tools out of the sawdust :)

That said, I can't imagine running an 87" bar alone, no matter how many powerheads it has.

Got a little bit of a surprise yesterday with my 461. I put it on my big mill and found little to no difference in how well it milled 34" hickory, as compared to the 661.

Glad I have some time to think on this..

Is there any advantage to running an 880 with a fully adjustable carb (to manually run richer) as to a 661 MTron? The little research I have done in the past has said it was a bad idea to run an MTron on a mill but there was nothing definitive. You seem to have been running this 661 quite a bit so I think that answers that question just fine. However, given the greater load of 80+ inches, is it worth thinking further upon?

Folks, I know this has been kicked around a few times....but I am finally going to up my cut capacity to a full 60+".

I have a newish 661 and 461...both under 6 months old. I find the 661 to have ZERO problems in 36" hardwood, and I think the 461 would probably do it also, though I haven't tried. I long considered pairing them up on a larger mill, but I've simply fallen in love with the 461 for limbing and bucking for my bandmill. I'd like to leave it dedicated to that purpose.

I'll need a 72" rail set and 84" double end bar to meet my capacity goals. I don't like the idea of jumping to .404, but I'm thinking I won't have a choice. I'll probably end trying the Oregon "superskip" made for the Lucas slabber.

I'll be buying powerhead(s) new from the local Stihl dealer. Not much other option...they treat me great and I have a business account with them.

b) One 880 (Doable, but more expensive than option a. Not sure if its better than (2) 661s).
c) I'm absolutely crazy and need two 880s (I am a little nutty, so this might be true, but this will push my plans back as it's just too much $$ right now).

Please let me know your thoughts on the powerheads, and if it's a an absolute requirement to go to .404 with a bar this long?
My avatar shows the first use of my cannon 60" bar. I got it just in case I needed that much. Waited several months and had it when opportunity presented itself. Could have used a 72" cut for the next level that would have been an awesome slice. It was ground up before any bar 6 feet long wood have come and been set up for use. That powerhead is ms-460 muffler modded running oregon .063 3/8 with chisel skip chain.
I've bought a 661 that seller claimed had been cylinder ported, ran better w same setup. Muff modding added to fun. Next is for me to advance timing per advice from well known builder of work saws.
The point is that matching chain & feed speed to your power heads torque is more a key than outright power (which I still like) like what was used in 137 cc saws with slower chain speed and large torque that still needed sharpest cutters that could be spun.
Amazon had a Forester 72" bar 3/8 .063 that I've broke a chain off the reel and made a loop (skip chisel) now build the frame to hold bar for milling.
I hope your stay safe and read milling 101 for more info than this few pages will offer. Enjoy!

A guy local to me used to mill with Stihl with what I would guess a 60" bar not sure of the saw model we run Husky 3120for some operations & sell on every 2 years He bought 1 of the 1's we were trading in He has been running this for around 8 months & he says he prefers it to the Stihl 's he had that's his take on the job though other's will prefer other makes/models

I use the 090 to pull 60" and 87", you simply cant fail with torque and steady chain speed, with .404 chain nothing will stop you and you dont have to sharpen any where near as much as 3/8. I wouldn't bother mucking around with two power heads and double end bars, its far to time consuming. I do alot of milling and have found this setup by far the most reliable.20170729_120235.jpg

@Boogedy_Man Congrats man! Its been cool to see the addiction sink in... I mean to see your fleet grow! :chainsaw: lol

It's been crazy Garrit. I started with the small mill and a Husky 460.

I now have 36" and 30" Granbergs with a 661 and 461 and a Timberking B20.

The pinterest/instagram craze makes chainsaw milling a profitable endeavor. People want chainsaw marks and "live edges" on everything from chopsticks to dinner tables.

Styles will change eventually....and we'll adapt and keep going.

Latest posts

Back