looking to try climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been shopping on ebay for climbing equipment. I am looking for a harness, rope and whatever else one uses to climb a tree. Not looking to go into the business or anything just want to try it out. I've been reading, "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work" by G. F. Beranek and am willing to take a class. But for now if anyone is looking to unload any equipment please contact me. Also any recommendations as to what's good and what's not. Thanks

You probably already know this but Tree Climbers Companion will be the best first start. I'm sure alot here will second that.

Then just stay low and go slow.

Good luck.

I am not sure I would want to buy used stuff on ebay that I am going to risk my life with. A brand new basic rope and saddle kit should cost less than $300.00. I would not climb on a rope that I did not know the history of. As for recomending equipment you will find many different recomendations as to the type of saddle to buy and the dizzying colors and types of rope. Saddles really need to be climbed in to know if they are comfortable or not. A basic weaver leather saddle with leg-straps and a 150' 1/2" braided line will get you into just about any tree to get started. Have fun and be careful.

I would adgree on tree climbers companion

Great little book best bang for your buck . Another thing dont buy used climbing if dont know the history of the gear than it is not worth a dime .Only buy new stuff it is not worth taking a chance on used gear .

Buyer beware

I concurr. If you were to take a class on climbing whether it be trees or rock, the first thing you will learn is to not trust gear that is used. If you were experienced enough you could learn to inspect the equipment to determine it's soundness for use. Without having the equip. in front of you, don't think about buying used. To get the basics it won't put you out that much$$ and your life will be alot safer with dependable gear. I fyou do want to take a class I would suggest you start with a recreational tree climbing class. They're not as expensive and it will give you an introduction to it to see if it's something you want to persue. Have fun, test all your set-ups on the ground before you go up a tree.

I already have an offer for a slightly used master II saddle, I googled it and I am assuming it is a Buckingham. I am an almost 36" waist does that mean a large is my size.
I can relate to the used equipment, life risking thing, thanks for the advise. I have a good eye and good sense. I have an arborist friend who can check whatever I buy out for me.
Is there a need for rope devises in order to say, get me up to the lower branches of a white pine? This is what I would start out on.

I already have an offer for a slightly used master II saddle, I googled it and I am assuming it is a Buckingham. I am an almost 36" waist does that mean a large is my size.

Nope, you're a medium. The Master saddles run big. I bought a Master Classic in medium when I was a 34" to 35" waist. Since I've been climbing regularly I'm down to a 33" waist and my saddle is slightly (aggravatingly) loose when it's cinched to the hilt on both sides.

As for learning to climb. Learn with someone else and use their stuff the first couple of times. That will help you decide on things like harness, lanyard, ascenders, etc. If you're in good shape, learn to ascend on a secured footlock and save the expense of ascenders.

Used gear from someone you don't know well... I wouldn't do it. You have to be able to trust your stuff absolutely to climb well. You don't want to have reservations in the back of your mind when you're 50' up and cut loose for a swing or to descend.

Nope, you're a medium. The Master saddles run big. I bought a Master Classic in medium when I was a 34" to 35" waist. Since I've been climbing regularly I'm down to a 33" waist and my saddle is slightly (aggravatingly) loose when it's cinched to the hilt on both sides.

As for learning to climb. Learn with someone else and use their stuff the first couple of times. That will help you decide on things like harness, lanyard, ascenders, etc. If you're in good shape, learn to ascend on a secured footlock and save the expense of ascenders.

Used gear from someone you don't know well... I wouldn't do it. You have to be able to trust your stuff absolutely to climb well. You don't want to have reservations in the back of your mind when you're 50' up and cut loose for a swing or to descend.

Whoa, Blinky, 50' up swinging. Sounds like fun but I have an initial specific job in mind. Does not involve anything like that. But I am getting the message.

Adrpk, honestly man, i am not trying to be mean here at all, but why did you even post your question on this site. Every bit of info that has been given to you you have either blown off or said...yeah i hear you but it doesnt matter. if you have an arborist friend, why arent you working with him to get your gear and asking him this stuff? the guys on here are honestly a VAST source of knowledge and many are an untapped resource. Slow down and listen before it costs you more than your pride or hard headedness. just my 2 cents.

Adrpk, honestly man, i am not trying to be mean here at all, but why did you even post your question on this site. Every bit of info that has been given to you you have either blown off or said...yeah i hear you but it doesnt matter. if you have an arborist friend, why arent you working with him to get your gear and asking him this stuff? the guys on here are honestly a VAST source of knowledge and many are an untapped resource. Slow down and listen before it costs you more than your pride or hard headedness. just my 2 cents.

Cntrybo2, none off that is true. Sorry if I implied that. The last thing I said is, "I am getting the message". Which means I am listening to what is being said. I have taken everyones post very seriously and with much gratitude.

Lets forget about the friend thing it's just a longshot.

The update is, for now, I need to get some more money together, didn't expect to have to spend money on new equipment. I am looking at climbing kits. I am undecided as to a butt harness or leg but it looks like the leg harness is a better choice. Taking any advise on that. Haven't looked at schools yet, thinking I need to get some equipment first.

I have taken everything being said here seriously so please keep it coming, it might be a good thread for anyone interested in trying their first climb. I do realize the risk you guys take and understand your concern. For me personally I don't plan to do anything out of my skill level which is zero now(so I am still on the ground). I am really just entertaining the idea of pulling myself up on a rope for now. I don't plan to bring a chainsaw with me. Trust me I will be asking different questions when I am ready for that.

So please, carry on gentlemen, I am listening.

Videos are great. Wesspur will let you rent it before you buy it. I would go DVD over VHS whenever possible (more flexible format, etc.).

Do not under any circumstance trust used gear. Im not sure if the loadings are similar in trees but in rock climbing, theres no way of telling how many times the ropes have been shock loaded. How about ground in dirt that can deteriorate the inner fibers. The outside could look clean. NEVER BUY USED GEAR.
I have a 10mm, 100m dynamic rope that I have 3 top rope climbs on. Its still got the flats on it from packaging. Havent used it in years. I would not even think of tyring to sell it to anyone.

Thanks ozy, I'll try that.

I've been convinced not to buy the used equipment.

While I am waiting to get some money together anybody on the butt vs the leg type harness. I am thinking that the butt harness can tend to cut off circulation to the legs, right?

I am thinking that the butt harness can tend to cut off circulation to the legs, right?
it can, but I've used one for 41 years and circulation is A OK. I'm also less concerned about used gear than others here--you can inspect a saddle to see that it is safe. It's more important to focus on tree care techniques than gear.

But used rope is just plain stupid. Don't tell me your life isn't worth $100, which will get you a nice 120' hank of rope which will get you where you need to be to start. I am not an arborist, but have tried climbing for fun some. I had zero skills, and still have very little. Just be sure that you don't cut corners on your rope, also you need to be very sure of your life support knots. A buttstrap saddle is what I started with...no straps. I can see how you could get yourself in a pickle with one... make sure all your snaps are rated for life support. Maybe try and learn with somebody who at least knows the basics. Good luck and have fun. I won't comment on the other used gear as I am not qualified to do so :), but used rope is scary.

OK used vs new, I have climbed on a used saddle, I also knew what I what I was looking for during pre-climb inspection. Check stitching, check buckle attachments check webbing/leather for dry rot, cracking ect. There are plenty of good used saddle out there that would probably serve your purpose, but I would want to hold it in my hand and inspect it first. Climbing rope can also be inspected also for nicks, pulls, burn spots ect. I would only use a climbing rope that I knew the history of, and given the $100.00 - $150.00 cost of a new rope and what it will be holding, I would just buy new and live with it. As for leg strap or butt strap saddle, I started on a butt strap with a fixed d-ring, rope snap and a taut-line and can still climb with it. I currently use a leg strap saddle with 2 floating d-rings, carabiners, and a split-tail distal. It will take some time for you to get comfortable with the whole tree climbing process. For now I would start basic and work up to what YOU feel is best for you. As the industry has advanced many new techniques have become available, climbing systems are changing almost daily. I am an advocate to start with the barest of basics and master them before moving up to the more advance technique. To do this work you must feel comfortable in your gear and confident in your ability and equipment. Be careful. :)

don't buy used gear, especially a rope, has been hammered home.. I hope.
sure if you have a ton of experience, you can tell what's safe in used gear. but not for a newbie.

this will get you started...

1. start low and slow
2. don't use internet as your only source of information.
3. realize AS is an excellent source of information, but some information posted here will get you killed. (learn what's BS is hard to do)
4. go buy climbers companion
5. buy a new rope... a 120ft hank of safety blue (braided)
6. find someone to mentor you
7. until you can tie your knots blind folded, you don't know them well enough
8. start with traditional system using a blake's hitch
9. for your life line, always tie a backup knot to primary knot
10. if you don't understand any of above .... go read the climber companion.

check out new tribe saddles http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33&osCsid=b774ce920fdf2bb36abbfa4cde281d87

Last edited:
Yes. Thanks all. Great. I am anxious but still broke. I am back to the landscaping full time now and expect some money to start to flow. So, please keep it coming. I haven't had time to get the video lined up but that is next. Remember, I'm only in it for some particular tasks and overall sense of curiosity and adventure, not trying to hang from a 100' oak while out on a limb. So, please keep it simple until I try it then I'll have some more questions. I get nervous and confused when the talk gets too complicated. Or is that talk not too complicated yet? I am reading up on a few knots so thanks 046 for the particular ones to start with. As for used: no used rope and saddles, in my shopping experience haven't seen any good enough bargains to keep me from buying new so new it will be. So hang tight for me for now guys, I'll be back when I get some stuff to hang from.:) In the mean time happy posting and thanks again.

don't buy used gear, especially a rope, has been hammered home.. I hope.
sure if you have a ton of experience, you can tell what's safe in used gear. but not for a newbie.

this will get you started...

1. start low and slow
2. don't use internet as your only source of information.
3. realize AS is an excellent source of information, but some information posted here will get you killed. (learn what's BS is hard to do)
4. go buy climbers companion
5. buy a new rope... a 120ft hank of safety blue is $72 at baileys.
6. find someone to mentor you
7. until you can tie your knots blind folded, you don't know them well enough
8. start with traditional system using a blake's hitch
9. for your life line, always tie a backup knot to primary knot
10. if you don't understand any of above .... go read the climber companion.

check out new tribe saddles http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33&osCsid=b774ce920fdf2bb36abbfa4cde281d87

I looked at that rope. Anybody got a second opinion? Looks like the right price. Is it savings or something that will be thrown in a hump after I find something of better quality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back