Christmas in July -- Log Splitter has arrived!!! :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id just go bye a new one. Plus youll have a spare if you do.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I dug out the Iron and Oak to split some big butt ends last week. Reminded me how freaking slow most splitters are. I'm used to the 4 second cycle time if my processor!
Ahh, I wish a processor was in my means. But since I only do about 3 to 4 cords a year, I wouldn't be able to justify the expense. Neighbor down the road got one this year. He's got an OWB and goes thru a lot of wood.

It has become a matter of principal. I use to be a spare parts buyer, but have found unless it is a regular maintenance item, such things go unused or lost or outlive (on the shelf) the machine itself.
Thats not a bad hose to have on hand. Its in a bad spot. Especially draging splitter in bush as i do. Its a easy one to pinch.
I also picked up a plug thing from hardware store and a clamp. If you break that line you empty the tank.

I do understand where you coming from. It is the principal. They sgould and probly will make it rite.

Yeah, it is definitely in a bad spot. I don't plan to ever take this off my property, even so I will be watching this weakest link for any useage damage.

Today is delivery day -- I've no tracking number, so it shows up or it doesn't. I'm kinda remote, so I always figure a day delay. I'm going to be cool unless this doesn't show Monday.

I would suggest just keeping your 3 years out supply of wood, as it only works out that you need to cut enough wood for that years burning to keep your current 3 years supply. I only heat with wood and all it takes is something to go wrong without wood being ready to go and your out of heat. April 24th I hit a deer on my motorcycle at 65 mph and broke my wrist. You could throw your back out. Wood cut split and ready to go comes in handy in those times as well as you could if push comes to shove make some money from the wood if needed in a pinch. As long as the wood is not rotting its not hurting to have a backup stash

TaDa!!!!! Good thing I bought extra hydraulic oil. Very thirsty.

Running some lighter then recommended oil for a cord or two, then I will put some Synthetic 10-30W in and it will be all done. My initial cuts on some pine and then some Tamarack went great. The Tamarack I split was the same I hand split a month ago, and was the last straw that finally got me to order this. After 2+ years of seasoning, and I can't with reasonable efforts split it, then time for the machine.

25TonSplitter 012 (600x800).jpg 25TonSplitter 013 (800x600).jpg 25TonSplitter 015 (800x600).jpg

I've probably split 3 cords so far, and it is a nice machine. I've had some nasty big logs that I have been reluctant to get split cause I know that are a major PITA (cottonwoods). The splitter worked hard, came to a hard stop, but the pressure continued to build and those SOBs are finally going to get burned this winter.

I dug out the Iron and Oak to split some big butt ends last week. Reminded me how freaking slow most splitters are. I'm used to the 4 second cycle time if my processor!
If I was doing 400 to 500 cords a year I'd have processor too! But since I'm doing 5 or 6 cords a year and by my self,a 16 second cycle time works out nicely.

I've been using this new splitter quite a bit, and I learned something interesting. For seasoned wood at least the cycle time really doesn't matter. Rarely, like never do I drive the ram all the was to be base. Nor do I allow it to run to the top either. Just enough to split a log, might only be 4 or 5 inches deep, and let it return only 4 or 5 inches enough to load the next log piece. Amazingly fast in doing it this way. Most of my time is now spent cleaning up the site after an hour or 2 of work.

Glad your likeing the splitter.
They sure do save a lot of work.
Wait till you get some stringy wood. You will have to run all the wat to the stop.

Been there. It was the last of some Cottonwood that I drop near the cabin a couple of years ago. Before the gas powered splitter 20 or more giant hits with a 10lbs sledge hammer and 2 or more wedges. Splitter struggled for a few seconds and that was that. Quick and easy.

Glad your likeing the splitter.
They sure do save a lot of work.
Wait till you get some stringy wood. You will have to run all the wat to the stop.

Damn!!! It's a heavy beast to move about. Just turning it around is a PITA! Luckily I've the lawn tractor to pull it around. I wonder if a half beam splitter makes more sense?
I picked up a roughish 22hp Craftsman hydro for $50 from the "out back lot" at local small shop. Some fuel lines and tlc. Bolted steel plate to back with 2" receiver fabricated and welded on. Removed mower deck for clearance. Now instead of moving big rounds to splitter, easy to move splitter to wood. Huskee 35 ton.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

The log splitter arrived early. 4 days early. And was simple to set up. Unfortunately, 481lbs does not ship without something happening. A critical oil line was damaged/punctured as BIG parts had been moving around within the shipping container. I’ll have to be a bit more patient and get the new part from the manufacturer, but that’s okay cause I still don’t have the hydraulic fluid for the machine.

It’s just nice to look at right now, and to think about the time saving and wear’n’tear I won’t be inflicting upon myself when I start splitting my firewood. No more hand splitting! This is going to have me completely reevaluating my wood gathering and seasoning strategy.

View attachment 592295 View attachment 592296 View attachment 592297

Nice splitter. One tip. Locate the oil tank breather hole or vent, and make sure water can't get in and contaminate your oil.
The vent hole on mine would let water get in and I ruined and tank of oil. It took time and I wasted a lot of oil from flushing it out with new oil.
I had to purge the hole system and that took a lot of oil. Save yourself the trouble and check that vent hole.

The log splitter arrived early. 4 days early. And was simple to set up. Unfortunately, 481lbs does not ship without something happening. A critical oil line was damaged/punctured as BIG parts had been moving around within the shipping container. I’ll have to be a bit more patient and get the new part from the manufacturer, but that’s okay cause I still don’t have the hydraulic fluid for the machine.

It’s just nice to look at right now, and to think about the time saving and wear’n’tear I won’t be inflicting upon myself when I start splitting my firewood. No more hand splitting! This is going to have me completely reevaluating my wood gathering and seasoning strategy.

View attachment 592295 View attachment 592296 View attachment 592297

I have an old Husky 22 ton just like your Champion. Only the motor is on the operators side. I see you have a log catcher but it also looks like the drop off will come very close to the motor. There needs to be a bar or something protecting the motor from getting hit.
I've been looking at new splitters but they all come with the motor on the drop off side.
You might want to watch your drop off's and see it you might need to ad a bar to protect it.

I have an old Husky 22 ton just like your Champion. Only the motor is on the operators side. I see you have a log catcher but it also looks like the drop off will come very close to the motor. There needs to be a bar or something protecting the motor from getting hit.
I've been looking at new splitters but they all come with the motor on the drop off side.
You might want to watch your drop off's and see it you might need to ad a bar to protect it.

Wallenstein/Surge Master (maybe others?) mounts the motors up front.

Where they should be. :)

(And there is no drop off or operator side - both sides are symmetrical.)

Back