Sell Dolmar 5100 and get a New 6100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Timm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Contemplating selling my 5100 and upgrading to a 6100? I've read good things about the 6100 and was seeing the price of $530 to $630 for it. What to do, what to do?

Need more info. What do you use your saw for (type/amount of wood you cut, just maintaining property or heating your home)? Do you have other saws? Do you want more power, or just a newer saw?

I have the 6100 and it fits my needs well. But I also have a smaller saw for the smaller stuff. The 5100 is a very capable saw though.

for a one saw plan- 60cc is ideal for most any homeowner. My current small saw is a mmws357xpw. Plenty lite and capable.

This saw is very impressive.

I wouldn't want a 6100 for a one saw plan, that is for sure. Felt kinda bulky to me but had decent grunt to it.
Based on the info given, which is none, I say no....
Russ

I have a Stihl 180 for a small saw. I just cut firewood for my outdoor wood boiler that heats my home.

Well, if you have a little saw, you could swap the 50cc for a 60cc if that's what your heart desires. Personally, I'd probably keep the 180 and the 5100 and add a bigger saw. Bigger than 60cc. Something like a Dolmar 7900 or a Stihl 440 or 460. But, that's just me. I cut hardwoods of various sizes, up to 40" (not very often, but it happens), I like having several saws on varying size classes so I always have the right tool for the job. I also like swapping saws when a chain gets dull or the saw runs out of gas. Just my personal preference, I guess.

I prefer the 60cc saw class. It is totally sufficient for my type of wood.

A 60cc saw is a great one saw plan with the ability to run 16"-24".

I honestly would look right past the 6100 and get the 6400. Much more saw for usually the same or less money.

If some say the 6100 will run with the 6400 then lets see it with 24" bars buried and the 6400 will upgrade to 79 and 84cc. The 6400 is a great saw that weighs only 1 pound more than the 6100. 6100 is bulky for 60cc and odd feeling to me personally.

Ya if I was constantly needing more then 20 in bar I would loom to a larger saw. A 6100 will pull 24 in buried in oak and hickory. But a 7900 or 395 would do it mo better!

You really shouldn't listen to some of us . You will have 2 saws for every 5cc. Need a back-up!

5100 is no match for a 6100. The 6100 no match for a 70cc saw. Let alone a 7910 if Dolmar is your preference. Dolmars don't have a strong re-sale value, it may pay you to keep your 5100. What about a $300 or less Home Depot retired rental of the 6401? They cut them loose in my area late fall. And keep your 5100? Get a 25" bar for the 6401 and you have a nice inexpensive two saw plan. The bar mounts are different between the two models I believe. A 6401 wearing a 20" bar/chain is one wood killing machine just plain stock.

The 5100 does more than most regular firewood hoarders need to unless you're regularly into bigger wood, then a 6100 is comes into its own.
I picked one up with the idea of flipping it... until I used it one day because it was all I had with me. Naysayers be damned! That 6100 is one heck of a saw.

OP, if you're wanting to upgrade your one saw plan, look no further.

I bought a dolmar 5100 to replace an ms361 that just could not get the job done. Great saw! Used to call it the red-hot chili pepper. Retied to the dust bin when I purchased a husky 562xp. Never looked back. The 562xp will hang with a 372xp 20” bar buried in hard wood and I don’t think you could profit from the difference. Depends on what you need.

I don't think a 60cc saw is much better than a 50cc one. I'd keep the 5100 or go to a 70 cc saw but as firewood homeowner saw guy I've never "needed" a 70cc saw.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, "NEED"? Don't go throwing around the N-word. That's not why we all hang out on this here chainsaw enthusiasts forum.

:)

Back