What is a good 1st saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best 1st saw

• CS590

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 455 Rancher

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • PP5020

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • MS390

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
Ditto. A 50 or 60 cc saw for a beginner could very well be suicide. I KNOW I don't have the experience many of you have but since getting into saws a couple years ago and starting with an Echo 400 my experience, confidence, and skills have grown tremendously. This site and its people have helped tremendously. After a couple years with the 400 I was comfortable enough to "graduate" to a 490. This year I got a Makita 6401. If I had started with either of those I probably would have got hurt or killed because of testosterone overload or given up. Remember, thread states "First Saw". If you started with a 60 cc saw then you're gifted or full of it.

Makita 6401 is the standard rental saw at home depot. I would bet most folks who rent them have never used a chainsaw before. Don’t here tell of too many severed limbs. Most 40cc saws are as useless as tits on a bull. Buying one to “learn on” is like buying a ford ranger to learn to drive a truck.

I think Chain choice is also important for beginners.
My first saw was my 455 Rancher, had the stock safety chain on it for a year or two before I upgraded to the "more dangerous" chains. Lol

Husky 550xp is the smallest rear handle saw we use. Great saw with an 18” bar but it could handle a 20” bar if needed. I don’t think anyone would be disappointed in either performance or handling of this saw.
I bought one a couple years ago, absolutely love it. Used it to clean up this big oak laying in a yard. I have an old 266XP I bought 10 years ago or more for $100. Rips your arm off when you start it lol, but still runs great when I need it for big big stuff. Here's oak..........
b9330e9508769800237847d6da116dfa.jpg

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

In theory a pro saw should last a little longer.

I get a kick out of the Internet experts who talk down HO saws and act like none of them will still be running after cutting a couple dozen cords.
i put this theory to the test back in 09 i wasnt working much and i cut about 30 cords with a 455 rancher with a 24 inch bar. Only thing that failed on that saw was the oil pump. I traded a cord of wood for a wore out 034av and used it to cut another 10 cords the next season. When i got back to work i bought my 372 and sold the 034 to a friend and it still runs(poorly) . I still have the 455. The homeowner/ ranch saws will hold up to abuse, but are heavier and less hp than the equivelent pro model saw.

Back