Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day Folks. Both of my bigger saws are running But.
The Super XL Auto has lost some power, it start, runs rev but just lost some power?
The XL-12 runs awesome and cuts amazing but after about 10-15 minuted starts to miss some and I think runs hot, motor smokes from leaked oil and just muck. No smoke from the muffler. I shut it down for 10-15 minutes and all is well again. I always mixed my oil a shade rich and always got smoke which I didn't mind. But, there's that word again I had to buy some off the brand oil because I was kind of in the middle of nowhere's and it's the kind you mix 32-1 non smoke stuff. If there such a thing? I usually buy the all purpose universal stuff. Since both are effected I'm thinking it's the oil?
?I'm thinking, hoping it's the oil?

. I always mixed my oil a shade rich and always got smoke which I didn't mind.
Your going to want to pull the mufflers, clean them and have a look at the pistons. That extra oil could have plugged up the mufflers.

Saws will run hot if they are all plugged up with sawdust, air from the flywheel can't cool the cylinders.

OK the XL12 problem i believe is the chain is getting hot. Even though I am pushing the button for oil it was still filled when I filled the gas today when i went to use it. It must of lost prime or something because I had to put it on it's side and keep pushing until oil came out. I will use it again tomorrow morning and I will see.
The super XLA I will check the muffler, I have to sharpen the chain on it. I've been mixing gas rich for 30yrs so don't know if that's the problem or not.

Can anyone tell me if the throttle handle assembly from a super ez will fit an ez 250?

No way of really knowing as the 250 is pretty rare. I suspect it would though as the basic differences between the handles are the rubber grip which is on the super EZ doesn't show on the the 250. The decomp setup looks the same.
The early EZ's don't have the rubber grip.
Best to keep it all original if you want in collector shape as it is rare.

You might try @chainsawlady to see if she can help you

OK the XL 12 started acting up today after a few hours of cutting. This saw was bought for $30.00 last summer and I just cleaned it up since it was sitting for years. I just cleaned the carb and replaced parts from old parts I had laying around. The gas tank had blobs of black tar in it and I thought it was all gone, Not. That seemed to be the problem today. It started to act like it was running out of gas today. I pulled the filter out and it was stuck in tar, I had to chip it off. So a few questions.
Also the oil pump don't always work, it any more than just the O-Ring?
Other than pure alcohol and a pressure washer how do I clean the tank?
Next I will be buying a carb rebuild kid for a Tillotson.
Is there any one place to buy parts or a brand or do ya's just ebay and amazon it?
Thank you.

Also the oil pump don't always work, it any more than just the O-Ring?
Could be. When the button is pressed, oil is forced to the bar, when button is released new oil is drawn from the tank. If there are any leaks, air will be drawn instead of oil. There is also a check valve, ( which lets oil flow one way but not the other) it could be bad but that's not common. And then it could be the o ring, or the button shaft itself.

OK the oil problem seemed to be the O'rings, changed then this morning.
The gas problem is still a problem. Took the top off the carb off and it was black, the tiny screen was plugged. Sprayed and blew out with air and she runs like a champ again but will no doubt plug up again.
But I will try the lacquer thinner, The bb's are good idea nice and small. it's all in the very low part where the tank gets small.
Thanks now to work on the XLA next.

Could someone please educate me on the differences between a 1000xp and 1020?

Which 1020?

To be honest I really don't know the difference. The 1050 is the biggest difference that I know of. But the 1000 and 1020
I couldn't tell you. I have a 1000 and it has manual oiler with the over run bearing for the starter. Not sure if the 1020 is
the same or not. I have never had one. The 1050's were all auto oiling with the standard starter dogs. The later super 1050's
had the ice cube carb. Can't remember which. Tilly HS or Walbro SDC.
The 1000 and or 1020 may also have the idle screw in the intake manifold. There was a hose from the intake to the intake
that let more air in or not to adjust the idle. Messed up design if you ask me. I have a couple XP1100's with that set up.

Lee

XP1000------------------------Manual oiler , 42oz fuel tank, optional auto oiler, 19.5lbs
XP1020------------------------Manual oiler , 49oz fuel tank, optional auto oiler, 20lbs
XP1020 Automatic-----------Auto oiler, 49oz fuel tank -----------------------------21lbs
SuperXP1020-----------------Manual oiler , 49oz fuel tank, pawl type starter 20.5lbs
SuperXP1020 Automatic ----Auto oiler, 49oz fuel tank, pawl type starter 21lbs

1050 Auto---------------------2 3/16 bore x 1 5/8 stroke
Super 1050 auto--------------2.19 bore x 1.63 stroke

Back