Me vs. the trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2000ssm6

Stihl User
Reaction score
I have to take down 3 trees in the yard and cut for firewood. The standing tree is close to the same size as the downed tree. I'm not sure of type of wood but maple or hickory I think. They drop those ping-pong size brown balls that reek havoc on the finishing mower. I will have more pics tomorrow with saws and the monster that laid that mutha down.

Got any pics of the bark? Are the 'balls' nuts, or do they have a stem? Are they hollow? May be sweetgum. Maple doesn't drop anything other than the little helicopter thingies.

Sounds and looks like the Hickory Trees I have here
I have 2 of them dropping their little bombs on the roof every fall.
I get to listen to them bounce down the roof and off the gutters :dizzy:
they make a mess in the yard and the mower throws off sparks when the blades hit the nuts
They grow as kind of a green fruit but harden to brown as they fall off
The trees are very tall with a rough bark
John

Sounds and looks like the Hickory Trees I have here
I have 2 of them dropping their little bombs on the roof every fall.
I get to listen to them bounce down the roof and off the gutters :dizzy:
they make a mess in the yard and the mower throws off sparks when the blades hit the nuts
They grow as kind of a green fruit but harden to brown as they fall off
The trees are very tall with a rough bark
John

The mower will fling those bombs right at me. I have been riding around the yard on a quad and get hit square in my onion:eek::dizzy: That hurts. I get the last laugh, muhahahah.

Hey my mom is from NC, we used to call those sycamores, but they are probably really sweetgums or something like that. My grandfather had a woodstove and he burned pretty much any and every thing in it, including gum. As far as climate, its all perspective. We would visit eastern NC 2X a year or more to see grandparents when I was a kid, once or twice made it to the mountains. I always thought they were cold....Florida now that was a warm climate...

The Hickory nuts are
IT takes an act of congress to get any meat out of the shell though
I never been much of a nut eater any way but the squirrels sure love them
John

The Hickory nuts are
IT takes an act of congress to get any meat out of the shell though
I never been much of a nut eater any way but the squirrels sure love them
John

So, does roasting make it easier or is that something that only works around here? :D (to get the nuts out.... waddya think lol)

Btw, Desoto or Dodge? What ever, nice wheels Learning, is there a story?
Just my curious nature :D :monkey: :monkey:

:cheers:

Serge

So, does roasting make it easier or is that something that only works around here? :D (to get the nuts out.... waddya think lol)

Btw, Desoto or Dodge? What ever, nice wheels Learning, is there a story?
Just my curious nature :D :monkey: :monkey:

Serge

Dunno never tried roasting. I always figured it was too much effort for something I didnt care for to begin with.

The Car is my 59 Desoto Fireflite Sportsman. I also have a 66 Dodge Charger.
No real story just things to tinker with. I love rebuilding and/or hot rodding stuff.
Cars, Lawn tractors, Chainsaws, or even people (I'm a Paramedic)
John

Dunno never tried roasting. I always figured it was too much effort for something I didnt care for to begin with.

The Car is my 59 Desoto Fireflite Sportsman. I also have a 66 Dodge Charger.
No real story just things to tinker with. I love rebuilding and/or hot rodding stuff.
Cars, Lawn tractors, Chainsaws, or even people (I'm a Paramedic)
John
Cool stuff! NP. Figured it was a Desoto, when I was a teen one of my gf's dad had one, he never did figure out why it smelled so funny (huge back seats in them babys!). Nice cars! :rockn: :rockn:

Back