first felling saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hi y'all, newbie here from Texas

looking at two saws to be used for felling and bucking...

Stihl 440 - 70cc - up to 32" bar and chain - $730

or

Husqvarna 385XP - 85cc - up to 42" bar and chain - $690

on paper, the Husky looks like a better deal, price wise

i've only used Stihl and Echo

what do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

The two saws you mention are entirely different creatures. Not really an apples-to-apples comparison. The only thing in common is the price.

What are you aiming to cut? What bar length do you anticipate using as your "everyday" bar and what length would be your "long bar" for occasional use? That'll probably determine which saw is a more appropriate choice.

one reason i'm looking at buying a bigger saw is bar length
i'm gettin' into a couple of bigger trees next week with my job

i've got the stihl ms 210 and they recommend up to a 16" bar

will throwing a 20 - 24" on there burn it up in any way?

A good woods ported/race 210 might pull a 20". Kinda long for a stock 210, Need more CCs. Sounds like you need the ms660 or 385/395xp, or ms460/372xp for weight issues. Baileys has the 372s "while they last".

It won't burn it up but it just doesn't have the power to pull that much bar and chain. I don't know if the oiler would be up to it either. How big of a tree are you planning on cutting and how often will you be cutting them?

I have run lot's of 044/440's and they have always done well. I have never run a 385xp, but have been told that they are a dog out of the box, but once modded they become very impressive.

3 dead post oaks

1 is 18" and the other two are 22" and 24"

i called some rental places
but they only rent out 20"

as far as how often? who knows
i've got a small tree trimming and removal business

and after three jobs we've gone from 12" up to 16"

HA! 35cc with a 20" bar? NO. :dizzy:

Moreover there is no 20" or 24" bar that uses the small mount on the MS210 anyway. So that idea is out.

A general rule of thumb is to aim for a 3:1 ratio of cc:inches in order to yield good performance. So if you need 20" bar you should be looking for a 60cc saw.

An MS440 would be a good choice for a 20" or 24" bar. Buy it with the factory Dual-Port muffler cover ($30) and you'll be set. Skip on the 385, it's a lot heavier than the 440 and you don't need the extra 15cc to pull a 20" or 24" bar.

3 dead post oaks

Okay. Just my opinion but the 385 might be a little too much saw. Like Slingr' said..the 440 will do a good job for you. If you can get to both sides of the tree you can cut it with a shorter bar. BTW that's a good price on the 385...does it include bar and chain?

3 dead post oaks

20" bar will do 22" and 24" stuff just fine. You should be able to handle those reasonably well with an MS290 and a 20" bar with .325" pitch chain, for about $350 out the door. An MS440 would make it into easy work.

Last Saturday's removal, 28" bars on a 36"+ tree. No problems.
Face_Cut.jpg

Cut_5.jpg

Cut_4.jpg

20" bar will do 22" and 24" stuff just fine. You should be able to handle those reasonably well with an MS290 and a 20" bar with .325" pitch chain, for about $350 out the door. An MS440 would make it into easy work.

Last Saturday's removal, 28" bars on a 36"+ tree. No problems.
Face_Cut.jpg

Cut_5.jpg

Cut_4.jpg

cool pics, man
i guess since i'm still new to felling, i'd rather have a bar an inch or two
longer than the diameter so i have less of a chance of screwing up the face cut

cool pics, man
i guess since i'm still new to felling, i'd rather have a bar an inch or two
longer than the diameter so i have less of a chance of screwing up the face cut

Can't blame you. Here's what I would do in your situation:

A bit of background - I believe that everybody who uses saws on a regular basis, whether a home firewood cutter or an occasional hired saw, needs three saws. He may need more and he may want more, but he definitely needs three: a 30-40cc trimmer saw (or top-handle, if you climb), a 50cc saw, and a 70cc+ big saw. This three-saw combination will allow each tool to be used where its strengths are best matched to the task at hand, and will keep from asking a tool to do something that it isn't good at. The result will be that the user and the equipment will be happier, safer, and more efficient.

You already have a 30-40cc saw with your MS210. I would go next for a big saw, since you have work lined up that requires one; you can add the mid-sized saw at some future point when it becomes necessary or helpful. For your curent task I'd probably go with a 440 and buy two bars for it - an "everyday" bar and a "long" bar. 18" or 20" would be a good "everyday" bar length, as it is fairly light and nimble. A 24" or 28" bar would be appropriate as a "long" bar for that saw; you will want to run skip chain on those lengths, though. In combination you will be able to get more use out of the saw than just having a "long" bar.

I'd skip the 385 in favor of the lighter and more nimble MS440, since I suspect that this will end up being an all-around, multi-purpose saw for ya.

EDIT: You should also get yourself a copy of two books, if you don't have them already:
1. Professional Timber Falling, by Douglas Dent
2. The Fundamentals of General Tree Work, by Gerald Beranek
They'll cost you about $50, but you'll easily make the money back by being a safer, more efficient, and wiser cutter. Reading these books speed up the learning curve and save you having to learn by trial and (costly) error.

Last edited:
that's good advice right there

the guy i work with is a forester from virginia

i myself got two years left at forestry school

and those books you mentioned... when next week's pay
arrives, i'll be gettin' those

Last edited:
That 440 will do you proud for 90% of everything you run across. You can even use it for limbing without cursing it. Probably the perfect medium/big saw. I got the 036 15 years ago and it did everything I asked of it but there were those few situations where I could have used a bit more saw, say the 440. Had I gotten one of those, I'd have been able to forestall the 660 a bit longer. Three saws, yep, its in your future.

HA! 35cc with a 20" bar? NO. :dizzy:

Moreover there is no 20" or 24" bar that uses the small mount on the MS210 anyway. So that idea is out.

A general rule of thumb is to aim for a 3:1 ratio of cc:inches in order to yield good performance. So if you need 20" bar you should be looking for a 60cc saw.

An MS440 would be a good choice for a 20" or 24" bar. Buy it with the factory Dual-Port muffler cover ($30) and you'll be set. Skip on the 385, it's a lot heavier than the 440 and you don't need the extra 15cc to pull a 20" or 24" bar.

Yup agree 100%

I'd buy the 440, but I run a 24" bar on a 390 so you know mine would wear a 28 or 32" bar with skip square chisel chain.....but that's just cause I like the long bars. The 210 is a great saw but i do think you could go a bit bigger. if you want to compare Husky/Stihl, the 372 and whatever replaced it are what is comparable to the 440 in their lineup. Baileys does have some at a real good price in their umm annual spring sale. $659 I think.

if you want to compare Husky/Stihl, the 372 and whatever replaced it are what is comparable to the 440 in their lineup. Baileys does have some at a real good price in their umm annual spring sale. $659 I think.

Yep, at that price you should take a hard look at the 372. I've never run one but only hear good things about them. You could get it with a full wrap and it would be really useful for felling. My 660 wears the full wrap. Always wanted the full wrap and will never go back. :rock:

Other benefit of the full wrap is it definitely makes the saw look like it means business. Its a West Coast thing but man it looks good! :rockn:

yeah, the 372 at bailey's is $609, includes shipping

that and the 440 are the two options at the moment

Latest posts

Back