Aftermarket bearings for Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.....How much does the OEM bearing protrude beyond the case....(probably the thickness of the seal...)?

I want to find a way to beat Stihl at their proprietary parts that should be off the shelf!

Are they still using this proprietary bearing/seal combo in their current saws?

Is this to save space or to sell their bearings?

Is this to save space or to sell their bearings?

It's a design feature. The way they have the oil pump set-up on the pro saws, it's pretty much a necessary feature that the bearing contains the seal.

But really if you think about it, it's a good thing. It keeps ham-handed techs from ruining the case when installing new seals. At the very worst,
they'll ruin the bearing and that's a lot less to replace than the entire crankcase.

The replacement bearings they sell couldn't amount to enough money to even be on Stihl's radar screen, much less make a concious decision to pay extra themselves for special bearings so they can make money on the tiny percentage that are ever actually replaced.

I agree. In the years I worked at dealerships, the number of customers willing to pay for an entire rebuild was a tiny fraction, less than 1%. Most would just junk the
saw when the bearings were bad and buy a new one. Timber cutters, logging company owners, and professional tree service companies would just keep the old
saw for parts and buy a new one of the same model.

One tip though- if you guys are putting new bearings in an 044 or 440, just use the PTO side bearing from the 460. It's same bearing used in the 024/026/260, 034/036/360, 046. The 044/440 PTO side bearing retails for $50 and the 046/460 bearing retails for $30.

It's a design feature. The way they have the oil pump set-up on the pro saws, it's pretty much a necessary feature that the bearing contains the seal.

But really if you think about it, it's a good thing. It keeps ham-handed techs from ruining the case when installing new seals. At the very worst,
they'll ruin the bearing and that's a lot less to replace than the entire crankcase.

I agree. In the years I worked at dealerships, the number of customers willing to pay for an entire rebuild was a tiny fraction, less than 1%. Most would just junk the
saw when the bearings were bad and buy a new one. Timber cutters, logging company owners, and professional tree service companies would just keep the old
saw for parts and buy a new one of the same model.

One tip though- if you guys are putting new bearings in an 044 or 440, just use the PTO side bearing from the 460. It's same bearing used in the 024/026/260, 034/036/360, 046. The 044/440 PTO side bearing retails for $50 and the 046/460 bearing retails for $30.

Now that is interesting. I have a 460 lower end sitting on the bench that has a broken case. I might pull that bearing and install this on the 026. If that doesn't work do you know the Stihl # to order the $30 bearing?

026 bearings

Can someone tell me if these are available for the crank bearings for an 026? Looked on Northwood and they don't show crank bearings for this saw. Bailey's site is really slow for me right now so I can't check there. Are these Stihl only or has anyone used aftermarket?

Hi,
Been lurching on here awhile, lots of good info. I was also looking for bearings for an 026. I see a seller on e bay hlsupply has a new aftermarket set for 39.95 with 30 day warranty. Does anyone know if these would hold up?

Thanks

Well I took your advise on this. I have an 046 case that has good bearings. I tore it down, took out the bearing and installed it on the 024 (not 026 has smaller bore). The ID and OD where the exact same size. I only had one issue. The 046 bearings was not tapered enough to allow for the oil pump to slide over it.

So, I found another crankcase that had a busted up oil tank. The bearings where still good so I swapped them over.

Yep look like they fit ,I bought a bag of ten sets of those cheapo bearings from Hong Kong last year for $5 ,so far so good ,running 25:1

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You should be able to get both bearings at the stihl dealer for less than $40. Spend an extra $20 and have an oem bottom end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I just got done replacing both bearings, crank seals, case gasket, and cylinder gasket for around $70 if I remember right. All oem.
I think it's like a kit you can buy which is a lot cheaper than buying all the parts individually according to my dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back