Strato engines: When will we know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Husky dealer, a nice guy, was complaining one day about Nancy Pelosi, the EPA,etc, etc and how the regulations are gonna make everybody's chainsaws all blow up one day from running too lean. (He was talking about consumers). Made sense to me at the time. Thinking about it, though, I wonder if he could be proven wrong one day? I wonder if it's possible that Stratos will prove to be reliable after all. For example, I haven't seen ANY posts so far about Stratos blowing up. Granted they've only been around a short while.

The Stihl dealer also complains about the Strats and sez that maintenance/repair on them is gonna be WAY higher than non-strats. Again, makes sense to me. If they run too lean, and people don't know, they'll blow 'em up. But Stihl/Husky aren't out to purposely make defective saws. If they blow up within the two-year (Husky) homeowner warranty, the co. has to fix 'em on their dime.

My question for this group is: How many years will have to pass before the industry and user community can make an informed judgment on Stratocharged engines? Three years? Five? Seven?

Regards,
Tom

My Husky dealer, a nice guy, was complaining one day about Nancy Pelosi, the EPA,etc, etc and how the regulations are gonna make everybody's chainsaws all blow up one day from running too lean. (He was talking about consumers). Made sense to me at the time. Thinking about it, though, I wonder if he could be proven wrong one day? I wonder if it's possible that Stratos will prove to be reliable after all. For example, I haven't seen ANY posts so far about Stratos blowing up. Granted they've only been around a short while.

The Stihl dealer also complains about the Strats and sez that maintenance/repair on them is gonna be WAY higher than non-strats. Again, makes sense to me. If they run too lean, and people don't know, they'll blow 'em up. But Stihl/Husky aren't out to purposely make defective saws. If they blow up within the two-year (Husky) homeowner warranty, the co. has to fix 'em on their dime.

My question for this group is: How many years will have to pass before the industry and user community can make an informed judgment on Stratocharged engines? Three years? Five? Seven?

Regards,
Tom
Why not right now. Strato engines are not that new. They normally wont blow up from running too lean if the dealer does his part when setting them.

Why not right now. Strato engines are not that new. They normally wont blow up from running too lean if the dealer does his part when setting them.

Yeah, you're right, they won't blow that easy, but they're more problematic than old school 2 stroke engines. Husqvarnas are having lots of issues with warm and hot start, rough hot idle, etc. Some models are unfixable... IMO they're too far from being as reliable as old 2 stroke engines are. Time will speak, but in the meanwhile I'll keep recommending conventional saws to my clients.

Latest posts

Back