Are Strato engines more finicky and hard to work on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In my further research on the Stihl MS362 compared to MS361, 036 etc. ....I would like to know ...are these newly desighned Strao engines like on the MS362 more finicky/harder to tweak/harder to work on than a notor that is not a Strato?

That's a personal opinion matter. If you peruse the STIHL Service and Parts manuals, you can decide that for yourself.
PM me if you want the manuals.

If you're just replacing parts or servicing I see no real difference. I've not ported any yet but I'd say there's a little extra time involved but that's probably minimal.

In my further research on the Stihl MS362 compared to MS361, 036 etc. ....I would like to know ...are these newly desighned Strao engines like on the MS362 more finicky/harder to tweak/harder to work on than a notor that is not a Strato?

Not necessarily harder, but quite different in many ways.

Porting.... I don't know. That part makes me nervous and I don't think I would would port one myself. I went on a non-strato buying binge before they all started coming out so I won't have to deal with the issue for several years :)

rhead they are not harder to work on the ms362 is a well built saw with that being said be careful with the piston they are pricey.

And they must be hot to really work right. That's one of the major problems with the 201T.

I've had a few different stratos, and the one thing I've noticed is that they are quite a bit more sensitive to altitude/humidity. Just a lot more tweaking to keep them running optimally. Probably not an issue that the average firewood cutter that works in the same general elevation will have to deal with though. I just get job shuffled a lot. And live in an area with quite a bit of altitude variation.

If that's you, go mtronic/at -if that's your cup of tea.

And they must be hot to really work right. That's one of the major problems with the 201T.

Could you explain this please? : "And they must be hot to really work right"

I'm having lots of issues with strato saws in my shop when they're hot, but I they'll pass all kind of pressure and vacuum tests when cold...

Back