Tuning the MS201 requires PATIENCE or at least...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kidd

Where's Fish?
Reaction score
it does when using the Fast Tach. I understand from others post that the limiter will cut-in around 13.3K, give or take. My take is to throttle up slowly before the limiter kicks in but that ain't happening with my tach. Strange thing is when I get to about 12.9-13k the tach will fall back to zero apparently after hitting the limiter. Every time. Idle is good, always around 3k. My tach ONLY behaves this way with the MS201. That turd must have a real strange ignition! Long story short, back to tuning in the wood. In some 6" rounds I richened to burble in the cut, then leaned 1/16-1/8 turns until good and smooth in the cut. Ended up about 1 1/8 out from seated. Slightly out of the cut to 4-stroke, then smooth in the cut. BTW the Stihl 63PS3 chain is quite impressive as well as Brads mods.
Sorry for a long post, guess I just wanted to rant a little. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I had the same trouble tuning my 201T. I took it up to 13k on the tach and then tuned it further in the wood. The manual says to tune it to 14k using a tach, but that didn't work for me and a lot of people have found the same thing... bit strange?

stihl ms 201

I am a long time stihl owner - 30+ years, mostly their climbing saws 020, 020t, ms200t. Have 2 ms200t's at the moment and 1 020t which have all had carb issues in the last 6 months resulting in new carbs for all 3. Contacted a stihl rep about the problem and in his response he admitted stihl is well aware of carb issues and his only offer was an ethanol chart??? Shouldn't stihl stand behind their saws and offer a fix for the reoccurring ZAMA blunder? The dealers don't mind because they get all this business of diagnosis time$$ and then replacing carbs. I was recently in our local stihl dealers repair shop and counted 12 ms200t in for repairs of which 7 had carb problems!
I have slowly replaced most of my older stihls with newer Huskies and couldn't be happier with their performance and reliability only problem is their climbing saw can't compare to a "RUNNING" ms200t. I admit the climbing saw takes a beating but the carb issues are ridiculous!
Should I dump all stihls? Don'st like stihl's attitude - that arrogance of "we are the best, take it or leave it".

What about the ms201 - saw 2 of them in the shop too.

Help

Thanks

One day, soon, you won't be able to buy a saw with mixture screws.

I'm not so sure about that. Echo keeps making old school 2 stroke engines with adjustable carburetors. That "strato" and electronic carburetors **** is too problematic and not necessary at all...

Back