seriously considering a super split now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My thinking is that I can get the idler working again on this thing, it is only a matter of time before it develops another problem. Maybe I should get a Super Split, and see if I can sell this DR? Or keep it as a backup? Loaner? Yard ornament? There we go.... chain it to the tracter by the road with a sign in front of it that says "Done wRong"

It's crazy.... I will figure out what I am going to do today sometime.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used DR k34?

Is this a case of "SAD" (Splitter Acquisition Disorder) which would be related to CAD (Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder)?

I agree with Sunfish,

For a design that seems like pretty straight forward and simple, its amazing how many SS copies have issue upon issue. For the slight savings in cost, some are as much as a genuine SS by the way, there really is no good reason to buy an imitation machine. I only do maybe 15-20 cord a year on mine, so it sits quite a bit, but when I need it I hardly ever have issues other than the bearing not rolling on the track which doesn't allow the ram to retract. After 6 years of owning it, you learn to keep the beam clean and lubricated, so the bearing has as little resistance as possible. Also setting the machine on a slight incline helps the ram retract. I know firewood producers that run 500 cord a year through their basic J model and usually the only issue is the bearing. Bearing issue aside, I've run Timberwolf's, Americans, and PTO machines and I can say the SS is as fast as any multi way wedge machine I've used and burns a whole lot less fuel.
Of course you handle the wood more, and it doesn't have a log lift, but its also a third the price of most of those big machines and can be towed around by hand around the woodlot. Not to start any wars, but dollar spent vs amount of wood produced, the SS cant be beat.

What took so long?? Stubbornness. I expect to place the order tomorrow morning.
I went to the machine shop today. We are creating a grade 8 bolt with a zert on it, and creating a NEW idler, and sticking a bronze bushing into the old one... I have to make the DR last long enough until the Super gets here.

I have been filling up the DR website feedback with comments...

Bearing issue aside, I've run Timberwolf's, Americans, and PTO machines and I can say the SS is as fast as any multi way wedge machine I've used and burns a whole lot less fuel.
Dang, looks like SS made a HUGE mistake last fall, they should have hired you to run their machine at the "Firewood Shootout Competition", in Ohio...

The Timber Wolf guys there, using a 4-way wedge blew them away, splitting the same amount of wood the SS guys had, and did it in quite a bit LESS time!

There must have been a couple hundred people there that seen it happen, including me...

SR

What took so long?? Stubbornness. I expect to place the order tomorrow morning.
I went to the machine shop today. We are creating a grade 8 bolt with a zert on it, and creating a NEW idler, and sticking a bronze bushing into the old one... I have to make the DR last long enough until the Super gets here.

I have been filling up the DR website feedback with comments...

If you're happy with the production the DR puts out, the SS will likely make you smile.

Id say my biggest pro for the SS is consistently sized splits. Absolutely essential when trying to load the firebox for an all nighter.....

DR took care of the customer all right... They replaced the origional stripped out gears the first time, but the tech up here just replaced parts.... When it stripped out the second time, I took the machine apart and DR sent ME the parts. I re-assembled it with proper adjustments and lubrication in the key areas that were missed. They told me that "this is it" you are on your own after this repair. If I made a stink about it, they would probably send me a idler... Ain't worth it.

I think the speed will be about the same, and I really like this for making bundle splits. I like the way I can work the knots and utilize pieces that would be trashed with the slower splitters.

DR took care of the customer all right... They replaced the origional stripped out gears the first time, but the tech up here just replaced parts.... When it stripped out the second time, I took the machine apart and DR sent ME the parts. I re-assembled it with proper adjustments and lubrication in the key areas that were missed. They told me that "this is it" you are on your own after this repair. If I made a stink about it, they would probably send me a idler... Ain't worth it.

I think the speed will be about the same, and I really like this for making bundle splits. I like the way I can work the knots and utilize pieces that would be trashed with the slower splitters.
Thanks. It's interesting they are calling 'time' on a repetitive failure like that.

probably the second version... December 2015 is when I bought it.

... and it seems that Supersplit tried to "up sell" me, and sent me a invoice for the HD model, along with a electric motor... That ain't gonna work very well out here. I am off grid and on generators. I also pointed out that the J model is plenty as I am splitting various forms of pine out here. No need for Heavy Duty...

Yeah if your engine is mounted lower to the ground and the machine uses the two hand method than its the newer DR splitter. The old one had the motor mounted like a supersplit right behind the flywheels and didn't use the two handed method of splitting. Shoot I was just thinking about ordering a DR since they are on sale for $2300 and $100 shipping. I wouldn't mind getting a SS but their prices are so dang high for a design he hasn't improved in 30 years and then another $600 on top of the $2420 plus $274 table plus $80 for the hitch. HD is $2850 plus table and tow and the gear reduction is $3950 plus the table and tow.

Dang, looks like SS made a HUGE mistake last fall, they should have hired you to run their machine at the "Firewood Shootout Competition", in Ohio...

The Timber Wolf guys there, using a 4-way wedge blew them away, splitting the same amount of wood the SS guys had, and did it in quite a bit LESS time!

There must have been a couple hundred people there that seen it happen, including me...

SR

I can't comment on that "shootout", but I have personally run both a TW5 and a SS. I know which one is faster, and its not the TW5. To get close to a SS, you would need a Fast Cycle TW5.

Anyhow, what are the price points on a TW5 and on a Supersplit J model Rob?

Yeah if your engine is mounted lower to the ground and the machine uses the two hand method than its the newer DR splitter. The old one had the motor mounted like a supersplit right behind the flywheels and didn't use the two handed method of splitting. Shoot I was just thinking about ordering a DR since they are on sale for $2300 and $100 shipping. I wouldn't mind getting a SS but their prices are so dang high for a design he hasn't improved in 30 years and then another $600 on top of the $2420 plus $274 table plus $80 for the hitch. HD is $2850 plus table and tow and the gear reduction is $3950 plus the table and tow.
The SS is still worth the price and isn't much more than a DR if you consider the long term. No need for a HD model.

Anyhow, what are the price points on a TW5 and on a Supersplit J model Rob?
I have no idea, never priced either one of them.

I do know that I paid less that $3,500.00 for my 3HD/with 4way and table NEW and I think it's faster than a 5, + it's every bit as powerful if not more so... It splits EVERYTHING, no chainsaw ripping, no screwing around with the wood, nothing but splitting, EVERYTHING goes through the 4-way!!

As for the "Shootout", like I said, they should have hired you, as the TWO guys they had there couldn't beat the Timber Wolf guys... Same amount of wood, same type of wood, side by side, going as fast as they could. There's was a ref there too, making sure no one was cheating.

SR

No worries Rob,

I have the prices, thanks Google. A J model Supersplit is $2,420, add $274 for the production table and you are at $2,694. A TW5 is $8,995, or 3.3 times the price. Now if you think comparing a 9 grand machine and a sub 3 grand machine is apples to apples then lets compare the TW5 to something that costs 3.3 times as much or $29,683.50. What kind of wood processing equipment can I buy for that?

Not to say Timberwolf doesn't make a great machine, but lets compare other splitters in the $2500-$3000 range. Your tractor mounted version isn't applicable either as you need a tractor to run it. So I challenge you to show me a stand alone $2,700 hydraulic splitter faster than a SS. Can you do it?

http://www.supersplit.com/

http://www.alexequip.com/product/timberwolf-tw-5-log-splitter/

Sunfish you guys live where wood basically splits itself when you drop it, the elm and cottonwood here stalls out my hydro on some pieces and its an 4.5 inch bore. I was planning on just using the SS for the easy to split straight grain and small pieces. SS a good machine no doubt but they have not innovated in 30 years. Put the motor down low so its not screaming in my ear and blowing exhaust heat right on my face and low center of gravity. Taller wedge since 6 inch will not split most rounds then your man handling it off the wedge for a resplit. Maybe even flare the wedge so it will split?

Sunfish you guys live where wood basically splits itself when you drop it, the elm and cottonwood here stalls out my hydro on some pieces and its an 4.5 inch bore. I was planning on just using the SS for the easy to split straight grain and small pieces. SS a good machine no doubt but they have not innovated in 30 years. Put the motor down low so its not screaming in my ear and blowing exhaust heat right on my face and low center of gravity. Taller wedge since 6 inch will not split most rounds then your man handling it off the wedge for a resplit. Maybe even flare the wedge so it will split?

I would add, make it towable and replace the roller bearing that several have complained about.

Back