seriously considering a super split now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UHMWPE table surface.
Additional flywheel mounted lower.
Motor mounted lower.
Slip-on 4-way wedge.
Highway towable.
Log lift.

Bottom line though, is they already have a great product proven by years of happy customers. Heck, probably even generations of happy customers by now. So I wonder just how much motivation there is to change too much on it, instead concentrating on not letting customers wait too long for their orders.

Sunfish lives in Missouri, I live in Massachusetts. SS ships all over the world. If your wood is that tough, they have a gear reduction model designed for elm

Not to say Timberwolf doesn't make a great machine, but lets compare other splitters in the $2500-$3000 range. Your tractor mounted version isn't applicable either as you need a tractor to run it. So I challenge you to show me a stand alone $2,700 hydraulic splitter faster than a SS. Can you do it?
Well, my tractor was FREE, and it's STILL making me money...

As for comparing price, I pointed out that in the Firewood Shootout Competition the TW blew away the SS, now you say it wasn't fair because it cost more?? lol lol

I never compared them YOU did and claim YOU can split faster than a TW-5, I say BS... lol I already saw THAT contest!

At less than $3,500.00 for mine, I'd say my TW is a pretty fair comparison...

SR

No worries Rob,

I have the prices, thanks Google. A J model Supersplit is $2,420, add $274 for the production table and you are at $2,694. A TW5 is $8,995, or 3.3 times the price. Now if you think comparing a 9 grand machine and a sub 3 grand machine is apples to apples then lets compare the TW5 to something that costs 3.3 times as much or $29,683.50. What kind of wood processing equipment can I buy for that?

Not to say Timberwolf doesn't make a great machine, but lets compare other splitters in the $2500-$3000 range. Your tractor mounted version isn't applicable either as you need a tractor to run it. So I challenge you to show me a stand alone $2,700 hydraulic splitter faster than a SS. Can you do it?

http://www.supersplit.com/

http://www.alexequip.com/product/timberwolf-tw-5-log-splitter/

Good luck......

Rob, So can you please just admit no stand alone hydraulic splitter exists that can compete with a Supersplitter's price range so we can stop this? Stop beating around the bush! Lol. I can post comparison video of a guy using a TW5 and a SS from 2012 where the SS "blew away" the TW. That shootout doesn't mean anything. I've seen people do a cord an hour, others a cord and a half, others a half a cord, all on the same machine. All dependent on the person and there abilities/work capacity level. That shootout had different teams on each machine. I'd say the video from 2012 with the SAME person on each machine is more representative of the respected machines ability. Wouldn't you? PS...Didn't you say your "free" tractor was something like $3500 in another post you made?

Did I explain how the tractor got FREE? Actually it's better than FREE as it's still making me money... lol

Like I said, YOU brought up the TW-5 (and other brands) NOT me...

Are you going to post the vid of the guy with a SS WITH a table and his TW WITHOUT a table, where he's dropping splits all over the place, having to pick them back up?? ha ha ha what a joke!

How about I post a vid of a guy with a SS that takes forever to get ONE crotch split??

As for the Shoot Out, it was fair and a timed event that YOU claim to be better than 2 people, prove it, show up and put those TWO guys to shame.

SS is a nice splitter, so is the Split Second... BUT you made claims that have proven to NOT be true...and that's ALL I was pointing out.

SR

Not everything has to be a plissing contest. The SS is a great machine. The TW fits very well into SR's set-up. Far better than a SS would. Horses for courses.

My experience has shown me (using the DR for the kinetic entry)
On smaller blocks where one or two splits makes usable wood, the kinetic will win the race. Feed it with larger stuff and my hydraulic splitter with it's 3 way wedge will win. Not by much grant you....
Toss in the stringy cottonwood, or the knotty Pinon and the kinetic is a pain to work with. The hydraulic is quite happy to cut the block in half against the grain if needed.
Smaller knots are enjoyable on the kinetic, the wedge is sharp enough and the speed is fast enough that most times I can cut them in 1/2 and use both halves in bundles. The hydraulic would simply have mashed them into the scrap pile...

Order is placed. They really are NOT worth that damn much tho... it is a simple system, and I am sure that SS is making a decent income doing this. Besides... Made in USA ! (but we make junque too, dr power ??)

Hmm I smell a discount on the DR splitter? I thought a kinetic would be nice when its cold out and the hydro oil is like a rock. From what I have seen kinetics work good in straight grain wood that is smaller in diameter. I also do not make kindling out of my firewood anything under 8 inches has no need to be split. I know many of the guys on the eastern side split their wood into what I use for kindling, not real sure why you all split them so small?? Yes they make a gear reduction unit but at almost 5k out the door. Also my rounds are 30 plus inches on average so that little 6 inch wedge becomes a problem as does man handling the round over and over. That's why I was thinking or running both machines based on needs and wood type.

I don't know about DR Power Equipment, but I can tell you I went to pick up my SS at the factory as I live in the same state where they are made. Paul the owner was in his work clothes, looked like he had been welding. Bandana on, black marks on his forehead, rough dirty hands, etc. He is personally involved in building these machines and has been for multiple decades. I doubt you can say that about the owner of very many other worldwide known wood splitter companies. That may be one reason they have fewer problems than the competitors, owner personally builds and inspects all the machines going out of his little shop, and could likely build them blindfolded. Not to mention he personally answers the phone a lot of the time. When I first called to inquire about one, he answered and I recall being surprised then. When I picked it up, I recall him saying the money was putting his kids through college. I believe now his kids are older and more involved as this was about 6 years ago. Very honest and down to earth guy. The extra money did not bother me then, and it wouldn't now.

Hmm I smell a discount on the DR splitter? I thought a kinetic would be nice when its cold out and the hydro oil is like a rock. From what I have seen kinetics work good in straight grain wood that is smaller in diameter. I also do not make kindling out of my firewood anything under 8 inches has no need to be split. I know many of the guys on the eastern side split their wood into what I use for kindling, not real sure why you all split them so small?? Yes they make a gear reduction unit but at almost 5k out the door. Also my rounds are 30 plus inches on average so that little 6 inch wedge becomes a problem as does man handling the round over and over. That's why I was thinking or running both machines based on needs and wood type.
Lots of folks run small - medium wood stoves in their house, thus the small splits. Sounds like a kinetic is not for you.

Very honest and down to earth guy. The extra money did not bother me then, and it wouldn't now.

That is the sort of feedback about these guys that makes me grin that I am getting a good machine.
The Dr was assembled by amatures, and designed by ???

Excalibur. grab a envelope with 10 Franklin's in it, and take a road trip to central colorado. We'll stick that DR in the back of your truck, and you can go see what it's all about. The thing might even survive after I have the greasable bolt and idler worked out....

Colorado is not that far away, depending on where in Colorado. Any pics of the unit and maybe some of the problem your having? Did I understand that you already replaced the rack twice?

Latest posts

Back