Tree belt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How heavy is lean? I'm not trying to call myself smarter than anybody...but controlled directional felling against lean is best done by setting the hinge via bore cut before the back cut, pounding wedges then completing the cut and more wedge pounding.

Like you said the hinge controls direction of fall...

Just wondering why you contradicted that a few posts later? Not trying to argue...maybe I'm not picturing the same tree as you!

As I said in my first post, tree must miss the fence on the right & the powerline on the left, usually dead elm not more than 12''- 15'' on the stump, I like to pull them 50-60 percent of the way down with a 6000 lb comealong then make the last cut when it can't go anywhere but down in the direction it was pulled.
But I think we are off the O P's original subject.

It's good to have multiple tools in your tool kit, and more than one 'trick' in you bag of tricks.

The strap is just one of those tools / tricks.

Walking away, and leaving it for someone else is the ultimate trick!

Philbert

The purpose of "pulling" a tree is to change the center of gravity. It is not a substitute for proper felling technique.
Well Finally, Somebody's using his head instead of his mouth, trees were leaning northeast, cant be dropped northeast, cant be dropped east either, must be dropped southeast and not too far southeast. Pull them suckers exactly where they have to go

I dunno. 20 bucks buys you a 20k ratchet strap soes maybe not buy a bottle tonight soes tomorrow you can buy two?

At that point it doesn't matter, I wish the hinge would break, then I don't have to cut it. Iv'e taken down many many trees this way where there was no room for error and never had one chair yet, mostly elm tho & elm bends a long way before it breaks.

Back