seriously considering a super split now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worn.jpg drilled.jpg
Got my parts back from the machine shop today. The bolt on the left is what they had in it from factory. The current setup is the pic on the right, drilled out and fitted with a grease zerk. Re-assembled, and it is working. Engage is smooth, and firm.
Would I trust it? Probably, now that the bugs have been worked out. Religious lubrication is evidently crucial on these things.

I am curious what the differences in design are between the DR and the SS.

Bottom line though, is they already have a great product proven by years of happy customers. Heck, probably even generations of happy customers by now. So I wonder just how much motivation there is to change too much on it, instead concentrating on not letting customers wait too long for their orders.

None IMO, because they refuse to.

The log lift from split second works on the super split. There was some rumor SS was designing their own.

I had heard that also. I spoke with Paul's son quite some time ago on the phone, and he told me they were working on a design and price for a loglift. I don't see it on their website, so I am assuming it never came to be.

Ordinarily, when patent protection runs out it's open season on the patent holders business unless they keep innovating, adapting, essentially making their mousetrap better than new entrants. I haven't seen that from SS, as Hinerman noted. It does make me wonder if it is only a matter of time before SS is steam-rolled by a major player who builds theirs right and over a period of many years, earns a solid reputation that means there is less reason to choose SS over the new entrant's offerings. More so if said new entrant further develops their offerings to include many improvements over what SS offer. But they'd have to be genuine improvements on what is already a darn reliable machine.

I feel, in SS's case, they are happy with the extra exposure that comes from new entrants marketing kinetic machines to their customers, essentially growing the pie. But when the music stops, will SS, after next to no adaptation/improvements compared to others, still have a chair to sit on?

My guess is that company to steam roll SS may already be here. I have not heard any complaints about the Split Second splitter. Now factor in adjustable working height, log lift, 90lb flywheels like the SS HD, Low engine mount for center of gravity/exhaust/heat/noise, road towable 45mph, 1 inch taller wedge, and a guide flag on the rear of the splitter so you can see where it is at behind your tow vehicle all for the same price. Split Second is also USA company and ready to ship. Why you would have to wait for a SS to be built is beyond me. You have been selling them for 30 years, so you should know roughly how many sell on average and have that many built already. Log Rite also build a nice model on a trailer using SS but their price was way too high!

Patrick62 did they say what the lead time on your new splitter way and perhaps what shipping would be? Also do you know what serial number your DR is? I am planning to do a little research and see how many people had the same problems as I see there are 3 different serial number runs on the DR site for parts. Maybe there is an updated part who knows. Looks like you have it fixed now anyway but just curious.

Ordinarily, when patent protection runs out it's open season on the patent holders business unless they keep innovating, adapting, essentially making their mousetrap better than new entrants. I haven't seen that from SS, as Hinerman noted. It does make me wonder if it is only a matter of time before SS is steam-rolled by a major player who builds theirs right and over a period of many years, earns a solid reputation that means there is less reason to choose SS over the new entrant's offerings. More so if said new entrant further develops their offerings to include many improvements over what SS offer. But they'd have to be genuine improvements on what is already a darn reliable machine.

I feel, in SS's case, they are happy with the extra exposure that comes from new entrants marketing kinetic machines to their customers, essentially growing the pie. But when the music stops, will SS, after next to no adaptation/improvements compared to others, still have a chair to sit on?

I spoke to Paul in person regarding this very issue. He was actually happy that there were so many copies being made as it offered more exposure and made a wider audience aware of kinetic splitters in general. He said became busier after the copies came out than when he was basically the only one making a kinetic splitter. (Anyone remember the Wood Wolf?)

I don't get why people hate on the Supersplit's price. When you compare what other USA handmade splitter you can get for $2,700...there aren't many if any better deals out there. Yes, you could buy a foreign made Huskee or something similar for $1,000, $1,200, etc. Then again, it will have something like a 18 second cycle time and have questionable build quality. The SS will NEVER try to compete with a Huskee type TSC splitters price. People who think they should, must expect a Pro grade saw to compete with a Walmart saw.

I spoke to Paul in person regarding this very issue. He was actually happy that there were so many copies being made as it offered more exposure and made a wider audience aware of kinetic splitters in general. He said became busier after the copies came out than when he was basically the only one making a kinetic splitter. (Anyone remember the Wood Wolf?)

I don't get why people hate on the Supersplit's price. When you compare what other USA handmade splitter you can get for $2,700...there aren't many if any better deals out there. Yes, you could buy a foreign made Huskee or something similar for $1,000, $1,200, etc. Then again, it will have something like a 18 second cycle time and have questionable build quality. The SS will NEVER try to compete with a Huskee type TSC splitters price. People who think they should, must expect a Pro grade saw to compete with a Walmart saw.
I agree!

Yes I remember the wood wolf, I tried to buy one before I bought a SS in 2010. It was about a grand less, but they would never answer the phone or call back. VERY GLAD I got a Super Split after more research into the wood wolf!!!

I have more firewood at my house than I ever would (or wood, lol) if I didn't have my SS. I wouldn't take on near the projects/customers I have this year with my old hydro splitter even with a 4 way wedge. I simply enjoy splitting firewood with my SS HD. May not be for everyone but if I had to do it again I'd buy another SuperSplit no question.

Honestly the price for a hydro quick cycle that can put out near the production is not even a valid argument, it's not even close! Let's not try to fool each other.

You'd have to look at a TW-FC (fast cycle variant) an amazing machine no doubt. I'd love to have one, feel free to pay for it and deliver it to northern Va. many Companies have tried to build kinetics and who is left???
Yes some have made some very good improvements but where will they be in 15 years?
That's my fear and why I paid more and went SS. Just my opinion

The DR is turning into a hobby... The greased up bolt that holds the idler was unscrewing itself today! I noticed it was spinning down there... Ok... The nut was loose, and the zert had fallen out. Loctite was not handy (it's somewhere) so I re-assembled with what was handy... permatex. Might work, might not. atleast it is sticky... somewhat...

I love the kinetic for making smaller bundle size splits! Far more efficient than the hydraulic units in that application.

That being stated, when doing cord wood production with 8" and up size blocks my blue splitter is faster and easier to use than the Kinetic. This is no ordinary hydraulic splitter tho.... she has a 7.7 sec cycle time at a 18" stroke and a Y shaped 3 way wedge. Two simple strokes and I can turn a 14" block into 6 pieces and toss them. The same results will require many hits and a lot of material handling and turning with the kinetic. switch to a pile of 7" stuff that only needs to be busted in half and the kinetic will outrun the hydraulic easily.

Both are good machines, and have their places in the yard.

The DR is turning into a hobby... The greased up bolt that holds the idler was unscrewing itself today! I noticed it was spinning down there... Ok... The nut was loose, and the zert had fallen out. Loctite was not handy (it's somewhere) so I re-assembled with what was handy... permatex. Might work, might not. atleast it is sticky... somewhat...

I love the kinetic for making smaller bundle size splits! Far more efficient than the hydraulic units in that application.

That being stated, when doing cord wood production with 8" and up size blocks my blue splitter is faster and easier to use than the Kinetic. This is no ordinary hydraulic splitter tho.... she has a 7.7 sec cycle time at a 18" stroke and a Y shaped 3 way wedge. Two simple strokes and I can turn a 14" block into 6 pieces and toss them. The same results will require many hits and a lot of material handling and turning with the kinetic. switch to a pile of 7" stuff that only needs to be busted in half and the kinetic will outrun the hydraulic easily.

Both are good machines, and have their places in the yard.
Is your blue splitter an iron and oak fast cycle? I looked at them before I got my SS. Looked like nice splitters.

P1010422.JPG
homemade special. This is what happens when there is initiative, steel, welder available. It's self propelled.
I have looked for a 4.5 inch cylinder with 3/4" ports. That would make it "perfect". still enough tonnage, and get my cycle time down to almost 6 seconds.
4.5 inch bore cylinders are rare, and pricey.

Back