New 390XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 372 would be a better all-around saw but the 390 will run the longer bars better. A short bar on a big saw is a lot of wasted energy in my opinion. The big saws are like a miserable ex-wife. They suck you in being all sweet and sexy but after a while, they become an ugly, overweight monster that just sucks the life out of you.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I like a 390 but for firewood duty it's a bit heavy.
And i'm 6'2 lol
Great saw's though.
Cut a bunch of hickory with a 372 this summer.20170502_155808.jpg

A 372 should have no issues pulling a 28 with a pin rim, I run a 390 most days falling and bucking with a 32 or 36 as well with a 8 pin rim. Both are great saws and run extremely well but I find myself liking my 390 or 395 over the 372 from a production stand by back will tell you my 562 with a 32 is perfect to me anything under 105 drivers is odd feeling to back heavy a saw should be nose heavy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Be great if you found some saw's to test before you buy.
To see what you like
I'm lucky everyone runs everything here lol

Be great if you found some saw's to test before you buy.
To see what you like
I'm lucky everyone runs everything here lol

That would be nice but I don't know anyone else really that runs saws. Know people with poulans. Only other person I know with a real saw has a Stihl, which I believe is a MS260 or 290.

If you are running 24+" bars a lot the 390 will cut faster than the 372. The 372 does good with 20-24" bars. My 390 wears a 36" from time to time and it pulls it good but it has been modded by MM. Most of the time is has a 20" on it. When I was a little younger I had no problem running the 390 for 5 or so tanks of fuel. Saw is not that much more tiring than the 372's. Nothing like my 395 was. As far as the 572 goes it will have a lot to prove to try to replace one of the best saws husky has ever produced especially after the 562 mess. CJ

The 372 would be a better all-around saw but the 390 will run the longer bars better. A short bar on a big saw is a lot of wasted energy in my opinion. The big saws are like a miserable ex-wife. They suck you in being all sweet and sexy but after a while, they become an ugly, overweight monster that just sucks the life out of you.

That could very well be a good analogy. And I do get what your saying about a lot of wasted energy. I however see it another way as well. Kind of like back when I use to woods riding/Hare Scramble racing on a dirt bike. I had a 250 2-Stroke which for about 85% of the riding I did was WAY overkill. However, in those places in the other 15% where you could really open it up, it put a grin on my face from ear to ear and made it worth it. Not sure if that way of thinking transfers over into chainsaw though. :laugh:

The closest dealer to me is Stihl. At first I was only considering a Stihl. But then from what I was seeing I could get more saw CC wise in a Husky for the same price. Husky dealers aren't to much farther but the Stihl dealer is about 20 mins from my house and they have been good to deal with with certain things, however I have never had anything serviced from them. I have bought a Pro set of Stihl hedge trimmers from them as well as a Stihl FS90R trimmer. Never had any warranty work done but they are always very nice to me when I go up there for mower blades, etc.

Did some more poking around today and looking at the following. Stihl MS441CM, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 576XP AT, and the 390XP. I won't buy anything until I am sure, as sure as you can be anyhow.

Lonewolf has be seriously considering the 576XP(I will get the AT since it is offered with it, might as well). My mind even though what everyone has told me with weight keeps saying if I get the 576 im gonna be thinking "what if I would have got the 390, what would it have been like". Then the other is saying "If I get the 390 is it gonna be a PIG and then turn into the analogy Brian above gave once the novelty wears off. I need to talk to my dad, see how many BIG trees we have and figure out what length bar I would mainly be using, Im thinking mainly a 24" with some 28" as well.

Also for what it matters, I don;t run a saw hours at a time typically. Usually we go out on a Saturday, we will buck up logs for little while, then stop and split, then stack what we bucked. Also some food for thought, the Stihl dealer offers 5% off for military so that will save some, not sure if my Husky dealers do or not. Will have to call them.

Modding a saw isn't something I have thought much about. If I bought the 372XP and later on thought I needed more who would I send it to for porting, etc and what kind of power increase can you expect. I'm ignorant to the world of modding saws.

Modding a saw isn't something I have thought much about. If I bought the 372XP and later on thought I needed more who would I send it to for porting, etc and what kind of power increase can you expect. I'm ignorant to the world of modding saws.
As much as I love a ported saw as the next let me throw this out about that subject how many of these guys run on industrial or state lands I know a modded saw is a hell no.

My coworker just bought a lightly used 390xp for $600. We buried the 28" bar in a cottonwood log and it ripped right through. I was impressed. Seemed about on par with a 660. We run 461s as our daily saws and it had more power for sure. If you need the speed in 25"+ wood, I'd recommend an 80cc+ saw.

That could very well be a good analogy. And I do get what your saying about a lot of wasted energy. I however see it another way as well. Kind of like back when I use to woods riding/Hare Scramble racing on a dirt bike. I had a 250 2-Stroke which for about 85% of the riding I did was WAY overkill. However, in those places in the other 15% where you could really open it up, it put a grin on my face from ear to ear and made it worth it. Not sure if that way of thinking transfers over into chainsaw though. [emoji23]

The closest dealer to me is Stihl. At first I was only considering a Stihl. But then from what I was seeing I could get more saw CC wise in a Husky for the same price. Husky dealers aren't to much farther but the Stihl dealer is about 20 mins from my house and they have been good to deal with with certain things, however I have never had anything serviced from them. I have bought a Pro set of Stihl hedge trimmers from them as well as a Stihl FS90R trimmer. Never had any warranty work done but they are always very nice to me when I go up there for mower blades, etc.

Did some more poking around today and looking at the following. Stihl MS441CM, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 576XP AT, and the 390XP. I won't buy anything until I am sure, as sure as you can be anyhow.

Lonewolf has be seriously considering the 576XP(I will get the AT since it is offered with it, might as well). My mind even though what everyone has told me with weight keeps saying if I get the 576 im gonna be thinking "what if I would have got the 390, what would it have been like". Then the other is saying "If I get the 390 is it gonna be a PIG and then turn into the analogy Brian above gave once the novelty wears off. I need to talk to my dad, see how many BIG trees we have and figure out what length bar I would mainly be using, Im thinking mainly a 24" with some 28" as well.

Also for what it matters, I don;t run a saw hours at a time typically. Usually we go out on a Saturday, we will buck up logs for little while, then stop and split, then stack what we bucked. Also some food for thought, the Stihl dealer offers 5% off for military so that will save some, not sure if my Husky dealers do or not. Will have to call them.
Don't get me wrong. The big saws are great if you got big wood. I just got my stihl ms661 a few months ago. I run 28" and 36" bars and it's a great saw but it's just not something I'd want to run all the time unless it's necessary. It's all personal choice. It's a fun saw to run but I'm more productive with a smaller saw simply because I don't wear out as fast. If I were in my 20's, I'd be running the 661 for sure. Another consideration is fuel and oil. The big saws sure can be gas hogs.

I wouldn't worry too much about buyer's remorse. All the saws you list are very good choices. It's really about what is most comfortable to you. Most of us have more saws than we "need." If you were close, I'd gladly let you run the 661 to see how you like it.

I wouldn't worry too much about buyer's remorse. All the saws you list are very good choices. It's really about what is most comfortable to you. Most of us have more saws than we "need." If you were close, I'd gladly let you run the 661 to see how you like it.

The only place I could say I'd disagree with you is with guys like myself who production fall in the PNW a 372, 44, 46, 390, 66, & 395 are all still commonly ran from bars ranging from 30" to 60". Like I said before the 390 or 66 isn't bad all day with a 36 or heck even a 42 once in a blue but a lot of it comes down to the terrain, timber, and where you can stand as well, if I did firewood I sure wouldn't be using one heck a 562 would be about right in my book light and fast.

The only place I could say I'd disagree with you is with guys like myself who production fall in the PNW a 372, 44, 46, 390, 66, & 395 are all still commonly ran from bars ranging from 30" to 60". Like I said before the 390 or 66 isn't bad all day with a 36 or heck even a 42 once in a blue but a lot of it comes down to the terrain, timber, and where you can stand as well, if I did firewood I sure wouldn't be using one heck a 562 would be about right in my book light and fast.

Very good points. If I were cutting for a living, I'd look at things differently. For me personally, I only cut firewood and some occasional small removal jobs. I use the lightest saw possible but everybody's conditions and likes are a little different. I don't get the big saws out unless I need them.

Very good points. If I were cutting for a living, I'd look at things differently. For me personally, I only cut firewood and some occasional small removal jobs. I use the lightest saw possible but everybody's conditions and likes are a little different. I don't get the big saws out unless I need them.

For us out here that'd be the smallest lightest saws once in a blue I'll run the 562 with a 32 just really depends on how tight the grain is as well as how heavy the tree is. The bigger saws are just a must out here the timber is bigger it's not unheard of us to chase a cut with 2 or 3 other cuts to pop a face out, it's a different way of doing stuff.

I once thought my 290 was all the saw I needed. Once you go up to the larger saws the smaller ones become almost toys in comparison. I still use the 290 more then the 461, but the 461 is a monster and there are plenty of times the 290 just wouldn't be able to get it done.

Back