MS 880 Firewood Saw Worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just curious what a used 880 is worth? Not in perfect shape the side cover is broke, full wrap handle, 36 inch bar with most of its paint still on it and almost new chain. My 7900 Dolmar is waiting clutch spring, and my 550XP keeps overheating then won't start. So was thinking of doing a deal on the 880 they are asking $1300. Any of you guys run this saw for firewood?

Just curious what a used 880 is worth? Not in perfect shape the side cover is broke, full wrap handle, 36 inch bar with most of its paint still on it and almost new chain. My 7900 Dolmar is waiting clutch spring, and my 550XP keeps overheating then won't start. So was thinking of doing a deal on the 880 they are asking $1300. Any of you guys run this saw for firewood?

How big of firewood do you burn?

I bought a used MS880 off here last year for $1,100.

It came with a wore out 36" ES bar & 30- 108 dl chain.

There are multiple fastener holes damaged.

It was well used, so well used that the Oil Pump & the Cylinder & Piston had to be replaced.

$1,300 is steep for a Stock MS880 that isn't in perfect shape.

Big saws cut faster. How much faster do you need to go. I spend 90% of my time moving, carrying, splitting stacking, etc. Trying to shave a % off my cutting is not productive or a good use of my finances.

Unless you are falling old growth Giants (and lots of them), the 880 is for bragging rights.

Exactly.

Give me a MS440/460/461 unless it's bigger than 28".

Then I'd rather have a MS660/661

Well I'm running a 32 inch bar on the Dolmar and run into logs that that's just big enough. Wouldn't be my everyday saw just for the bigger stuff. Just figured if it was a cheap price I would snag it. They offered like a 30 or 60 day warranty on it. The price on a new 661 is $1260 at the same dealer.

I would buy the new one and get a couple of bars for it. Cutting time with a new 661 vrs a well used 880 will be nothing. Much safer bet than a used saw, especially one that isn't going to be used or needed often. Sitting saws tend to pizz me off when I grab one and want to use it. Also nothing like spending a couple hundred to fix a saw that you only use once in awhile. I have too many saws sitting around and when I need them it's always a battle to start them or find the bars and spare chains for them.

I echo the 661 recommendation. A stock one will pull a 36" bar easily and will be way lighter, with much better air filtration and anti-vibe. After a few months if it seems like it could be faster send it to tree monkey or mastermind for some extra pizazz. I've run a ported 661 Randy did and a few that Scott has done. They were all a ton of fun.

880 is a heavy sumbitch to tote around for a firewood saw. For that money you could have a brand new 661. It will easily pull a 36" bar.

img_0639-jpg.560168

img_0640-jpg.560169

I echo the 661 recommendation. A stock one will pull a 36" bar easily and will be way lighter, with much better air filtration and anti-vibe. After a few months if it seems like it could be faster send it to tree monkey or mastermind for some extra pizazz. I've run a ported 661 Randy did and a few that Scott has done. They were all a ton of fun.
If you can be a lil patient and be ready to jump, Tradin post has paid off for me. 056 170# very good runner inexpensive. 661 reported to have been cylinder ported by Randy over in TN for less than new 661. She is a runner. The seller did not finish the job so I'm learning bout timing advance after opening up the exhaust hole which wasn't done even tho the can was hollow & matched up to enlarged polished cylinder port.
Each of them were only on there a couple days before I made an accetable offer. Just a thought based on y experience. Doesn't cost to look or leave a wanna buy listing.
Stay safe all of us

Yep, me too on a new 661. I had the cash in hand for a new 880 with 3 bars, was over $2000. While I was waiting for my sales guy to finish up something I started playing with a 660. Got it with 2 bars for $1200. I use it for firewood and milling. For firewood I only cut Oak, Locust and Cherry. Seldom take the 36" bar off. I think I've only had the 25" bar on it 2-3 times, Joe.

Get the new 661.

A 880 is a slow rpm high torque saw - great for very large diameter or milling, but heavy and slow for anything else.

That said I would love to have an 880 for milling, but that would be all I would do with it.

I do love my 461 though. It is the 'fast' that I should have bought years ago. Cuts many hours a year off firewood cutting for me.

Latest posts

Back