Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1637PLS

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a John Deere Chainsaw,
has anyone had any experience with these saws. I am
considering the CS40 Model with a 18" Blade.

[email protected]

I personally dont know much about the John Deere chainsaws. I did check out the model in question at http://products.deere.com/webapp/co...f=145939&PrevCatcgnbr=JD@HH&path=HO&pcat=8559 On paper it looks like an ok saw. I would guess its a Homelite saw since John Deere owns homelite. Homelite in todays day in age isnt too hot of a saw. It is probably what the Husky (136 or 141) is to the poulan or craftsman. Its just going to be a green homelite. The main problem I have with John Deere saws is that the dealer support for chainsaw is usually not high because it will never be as popular as Stihl or Husky. So if you need some part you most likely will have a tougher time find a dealer that stocks something for it. (mechanically I couldnt tell you) I also noticed in the ad said it was a John Deere pro series. Dont be fooled by wording. You will never find a pro saw thats $229.00. Its just in a pro series. They are using pro like some companies use deluxe. I personally think you might be better of with an Echo at that price. John Deere gets away with a lot of Junk because of there name. If its bigger equipment no problem, with this little stuff. I would be very unsure.
Darin
There are a lot of dealers that read this forum and since none really answered you back, I am guessing they dont know much about the Deere saws either. Thats kind of what I am getting at. If not a lot of people use them there is a reason. Unfortunetly dont have any specific reasons.

My handle may imply that I am partial to all JD products. In fact, I only like the industrial equipment (including logging). I'm not a farmer, either. They made a rather infamous snowmobile in the '70's that became extinct. I'd buy a recognized brand name (for quality, service and resale value) and leave the marketing ploys to others. Mt 2 cents too.

I founbd this post on another message board:

>>Talked to a JD dealer; "saws are made by EFCO in Italy, EFCO also makes contract saws for Olympik and others". Prices are good, probably to get product moving.

Olympik saws used to be solid and dependable, but not racehorses...like Walt said. I've used older models, and thought well of them.

I think it's too bad JD didn't try to improve Homelite...even maybe going so far as to put out some red and green or metallic blue paint jobs on those EFCO's..>>

http://www.tiltonequipment.com has EFCO info.

The 962 appears almost identical to the new Husky 357XP, and lighter than the 036 Pro with same power.

My suggestion is to stick with Husky or Stihl, dealer support will be better.

It is a low-down shame that Homelite is a loser. I stopped by the Deere dealer and checked out the saws, did get a feeling from the salesman that he would really recommend one. Since my local JD dealer also sells Echo, he leaned more towards them. All of the literature seemed good, good power to weight, nice rpm range. If the slapped some Homelite Red paint on one of those I would take it for a test drive. Jonathan

Unfortunately,it says a lot about the new Homelites that John Deere owns them but sources a saw from Italy to wear green paint.I know the old Olympics were built like tanks,but haven't run any of the new ones. Bottom line is dealer support means a lot-whatever the brand,find somebody who really knows saws and has the parts inventory to back up their knowledge.

John Deere saw

Personally I would not buy the John Deere saw, my brother works at a dealer and if you are going to do any heavy loggin or firewood cutting go ahead and buy a Stihl. The price difference between the Stihl and the deere are minimal and the quality level on the stihl is great.

This may be the oldest thread I've seen. Didn't the site start early in 2001?

Yup..about four months before I joined. We had some big fun back then.... Doug, the hi tech redneck, Dennis who had two logging show get togethers way up in Clearwater, BC, that the Rupleys, Doug, John, (gypologger) and I attended....along with Robert Andrews of the Predator fame..... Doug, John and others made up the alias Ginger..what fun that was!!!! and so much more..... I don't much like it here anymore, too many hotheads with egos..... only John remains..... and me now and then..... thinking I might post a few tree removal videos.....

Back