Echo CS-490 and CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A good friend of mine owns a tree removing service and has been upgrading his equipment as his business grows. He is one by one replacing his well aging arsenal of Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws, but doesn't have a lot of money to spend as he just had to replace the engine in his dump truck and buy another wood chipper.

I told him about Echo's new line of saws, specifically the CS-590 and how much saw you get for the money, so he bought one early last year and has been running the bag off of it every since, with zero issues to date. All he did was bring it here right out of the box and we modified the muffler deflector and removed the limiter caps and fine tuned it.

Recently he purchased a CS-490 and CS-355T, so brought those here as well so we could tune them before he starting working them to death.

Remarkably the CS-490 didn't need much adjustment from the carb, and I only opened up the three small holes in the deflector slightly. The "L" screw was pretty much right on and the "H" screw only needed to go about 1/8th turn rich. I spent some time with it over the weekend before he picked it up yesterday, and unlike the CS-590 it's not overly impressive for power, but decent.

The CS-355T in contrast was WAY lean everyplace, and needed quite a bit of fuel at full throttle to be happy. I didn't touch the muffler in any way, just richened it up till we got it to "four stroke" a little before putting some load on it. I didn't count the turns from the stock setting but it was a BUNCH! It had very good power for the cc's, and it going to replace his Stihl 200T that was recently dropped out of a tree and didn't survive the fall.

Not sure at this point how either will make the grade, but I'll update the thread if/as needed to let folks know how these saws are doing in a commercial environment......Cliff

I added a second port to my 490 muffler and retuned it really woke it up.

Yes the Cs490 is rather wimpy when new even with tuning a slight muff modd, it took quite a few tanks to wake up some but opening the muff more helped the most as above. Now it runs almost as good as the hot rod CS520 saws. Any CS352 saws owners, they really wake up with a muff modd, rather gutless stock. Steve

I switched mine over to 3/8 but switched it back 18 inch .325 works the best for me.

Haven't tried that yet good idea another positive is this saw is light and easy on fuel i can run it all day without the fatigue of the bigger saws.

IMG_20161122_161257.jpg This is how I did my 490. Pulled the restrictive tube out and cut the front of the deflector out. Its kinda ugly but effective. Different saw now that it can breath.

The new 355t is a bad azz beast. And the new handle grip attachment is a nice option when 1 handing a saw

Thanks for the replies. For sure the CS-355T was a good runner. It had PLENTY of power and chain speed for the cc's. I spent a good amount of time dialing in the tune on it. It didn't seem to go on the rev limiter nearly as easily as my older CS-360T, so was a bit easier to tune.

We'll probably open up the muffler on the CS-490 at some point, but for now it's in service on the job daily in commercial use. I post any updates, good or bad on these saws as they happen.....Cliff

A guy that was working with us bought a 355t just before he left. seemed like a huge improvement over their older top handles. it was not as fast as a 201tc or a t540xp, but for basically half the cost I thought it was a good saw. I had a muffler modded and tuned t435 and I would give the 355 a slight advantage in power and definitely built better.
CliffR,
On a side note, are you the q-jet and pontiac Cliff?

He should buy a 620pw n muff mod it he will love that saw and also the 501p my dealer give me 20% off anything echo so I get them at a good price

I'm hoping to pick up a 355t and cs 800 to round out my firewood hack saw line up.
My buddy had a 201 and got rid of it once he got a 200t. Then he got the 355t and sold his 200t cause his 355 would run circles around his 200t. Been happy with his 355 for almost 2 years now

My buddy had a 201 and got rid of it once he got a 200t. Then he got the 355t and sold his 200t cause his 355 would run circles around his 200t. Been happy with his 355 for almost 2 years now
Most of what I read is positive about the 355. Wondering if my ported 590 will out cut an 800 till bar lengths get bigger then 27".

Back