Tree advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Mieszkowski

Reaction score
I recently made the mistake of having my oak pruned. The guy used spikes to climb the tree. Is this tree in trouble? Is there anything I can do to help it?

Attachments

• IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
What did the spike climber do when he got in the canopy?

One type of tree abuse usually indicates others due to the fact that the 'arborist' doesn't know much about trees.
Luckily, I just had him cut a few dead branches at the bottom so at least it's not going up the entire tree. He was trimming my neighbors tree and I just figured I'd see if he could trim a couple branches for me.
I've been kicking myself for letting that jackass do this. Hopefully this and my neighbors trees are ok.

It's an oak, it will probably be fine. Think of it like bee stings... a few won't kill you, it would take a lot. But, you wouldn't deliberately get stung just to save a few minutes of work. Gaffing a tree for a prune isn't fatal to the tree, but it's needless injury and if it has other issues (most of them must also fight off all manner of disease and insect damage) then it's not doing the tree any favors. As already mentioned, it's a rather old school and obsolete practice when working in trees that aren't being removed. Always a good idea to tell the tree service you don't want it gaffed.

The main threat here would be attraction of bugs carrying oak wilt but even proper trimming and wrong timing can do that. Keep an eye on the spured areas for bugs gathering and if no infestation appears before winter your likely in the clear! Of course the neighbors trees can attract them too!

I second the response of ropensaddle. Main concern is for Oak wilt. Wrong time for any wounding on Oaks. Infection can occur through any wound, spike marks or cuts. If the neighbors trees are Oaks there is potential for Oak wilt infection in them, then transmission through the root system to your tree. Or nothing will happen.

I used to be a contract Trim Planner for a major power company. Once while trimming trees out of a set of "doors" (a double set of manual switches used to connect two different power line circuits for emergency power) one of our tree trimmers spiked a tree and the owner got miffed. The supervisor went to town and got some wood glue and slathered it over the holes. He said it was better than leaving them open. Don't know if it was right or wrong, just what he did.

The only advice I could possibly give you is not to get excited, run outside and hire the dude working next door just because he gave you an erection and a cheap price.

I have a question. I have a maple tree that's about 50 feet tall and maybe 24 inches in diameter at the base. I'm wanting to cut a few limbs off that are reaching too close to the roof. The biggest one is about 4 inches in diameter. These are mainly lower limbs. Will it hurt to trim these off and if not, when would be the best time of year to trim?

I have a question. I have a maple tree that's about 50 feet tall and maybe 24 inches in diameter at the base. I'm wanting to cut a few limbs off that are reaching too close to the roof. The biggest one is about 4 inches in diameter. These are mainly lower limbs. Will it hurt to trim these off and if not, when would be the best time of year to trim?
Dean: Doesn't sound like anything that will be a problem - prune this fall or winter. I'd suggest starting a new thread specific to your question and posting a few pictures. Make good pruning cuts. Don't underestimate how much a 4" long limb can weigh - especially when being dropped. Don't prune them from a ladder!!!

Back