Dolmar 7910 starting hard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
Reaction score
Back in march I purchased a new Dolmar 7910 to replaced a wounded 7900.
Awesome saw, like it as much as the 7900 it replaced.
Recently it has developed a starting issue. Always the first start of the day it seems to flood.
My starting procedure is to flip the switch to run position, pull out choke, pull engine over till it pops(usually one or two pulls) then push choke in and pull till it starts(again usually one or two pulls).
When new, this was the usual starting procedure. Then as I got some run time on the saw it started to actually start on the very first pull with the choke on. It seemed a little odd but hey who would complain about a saw starting on the first pull right.
Now, using the same old starting procedure the saw wants to or acts as though it floods. One pull with the choke on, then shut choke off, eight to ten pulls to get it to pop and a couple more to get it to start all chocked up puking smoke and lots of throttle to get it cleaned out and running good.
It doesn't want to start at all without the choke either.
Once you have it started and running for the day then it's fine for the rest of the day. But first thing tomorrow it's the same hard start issue.

I would guess the following:

- Weak diaphragms causing the metering lever to move too much and letting too much fuel in
- Weak metering spring for the same reason
- Tiny chunk of laquer/fingernail polish from a welch plug that came loose and isn't letting the metering needle fully close
- Worn Metering needle

I would look at getting a rebuild kit and go from there. Good luck!

My 7900 and all my Dolmars have been super reliable starters both in winter and summer. My 7900 still starts as easily as when it was new 4 years ago.

I would second Gritz and look at the carb. Rebuild kits are not expensive. Hope you get it sorted, they are too nice a saw to be sitting and not cutting!

Could have been a slight manufacturing goober (technical engineering term there....) that finally got dislodged and is now stuck in the carb someplace. Won't hurt to take it off and clean it, check it out.

Or maybe some sort of sticky linkage?

I am a Dolmar/ Makita dealer - For hard starting- acting like flooding after fueling issues the ignition coil is defective. Electronics fail due to over heating, and once cooled will restart. Replace the ignition coil and it will also run better.

3 year old post.
I am a Dolmar/ Makita dealer - For hard starting- acting like flooding after fueling issues the ignition coil is defective. Electronics fail due to over heating, and once cooled will restart. Replace the ignition coil and it will also run better.

Back