ok slab cracking quetion time???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterweasle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut some cherry and then a red oak fairly recently, on one of the cherry pieces and the red oak, the very center slab, 'popped" on me, the cherry withing about 30min after cutting, and the red oak popped as I was finishing the cut, by popping I mean they both split with an audible POP about 1/3 -1/2 of the way up the slab............is this due to the slabs being right from the middle of the tree or just happens?? hope that makes sense

Slabs in the very center at the pith will usually crack there. How severe depends on the species. I usually just cut that slab down the center and make 2 quartersawn boards.

Also, certain logs, like ones with a nice crotch, figure or bends will hold a lot of tension. When you cut, it releases that tension, making bows,cracks ,etc

The guy in this video talks about aligning the milling process with the way the log is cracking to avoid the cracks going though the boards he mills.

Kinda what I was thinking about it being the center where the original sapling had been

I've only experienced what you described when milling a tree that was leaning or previously growing on a hill. Either way, it is likely bound stress in the log being released as you separate the piece from the rest of the log. I assume this only happens on the cut releasing the pith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does letting the log air dry for a while help relieve internal stress?
Prolly knot. What has been shown to relieve stress is submersion in water or what I like for small enough pieces is boiling 1 hour per thinnest inch of crotch. For example a piece of red oak crotch 18" long by 3" x5" I'd boil for 3 hours. If they are short enough I've got a pressure cooker that does the deed some quicker for knife handles or pen blanks.
Stay safe all

Internal tension is something to seriously consider during logging, milling, drying, and during end use construction. It is the most dangerous in the beginning, and progressively less dangerous as the pieces get smaller and smaller through the cycle.

For example, cutting a storm tree that was twisted and broken off by a tornado, even with no other external signs of damage, can be very dangerous.

Having one of those slabs pop open shows the stress the log is under and i would take the advice already mentioned to make two qsawn boards.. though make sure and cut out the juvenile wood, or otherwise you will have crook in your boards once they dry. Ive had several 8/4 boards that showed signs they were under stress and wanted to come apart so i tapped them on the end with a mallet and blunt edge and they fell right apart.

You can rotate the piece and cut opposite sides to help even out the stress during milling- essentially keeping about the same amount of material on each side as it gets smaller.

For wide pieces , I sometimes rip cut them into narrower boards to relieve stress and either flip every other one and rejoin them or keep them the same orientation if you need to keep the grain pattern.

If your slabs are popping apart now in the green stage, expect that to exaggerate during drying. people try to clamp pieces together but that's a lost cause because you are unnaturally misshaping the cell into an oval and it wont return to a circle, even after adding moisture, so later during drying you get cracking.

It is also a consideration to look for ring shake before milling. Those logs can separate rapidly into large pieces and you dont want surprises like that!

Ive been cutting kiln dried pieces of oak with a handsaw while building a piece of furniture and had a small and loud (explosion?) of tension release where the board violently broke apart all the way down and fell in two with dust and splinters going everywhere.

Fine Woodworking (i think) had an article where the guy said he would drop his boards on the ground repeatedly to relieve stress.

Boiling, as mentioned, and also I feel microwaving both relieves stress in a piece.

So there really isnt a stage where internal stress isnt a significant factor. Usually you are better to avoid those once they show signs of stress. There is a reason lumber is sawn from the main trunk of the tree, and not the limbs.

Hope that helps . Good luck

Latest posts

Back