Winterizing an 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always run my chainsaws dry as well but they are more modern saws, My question is would you do the same with vintage saws? I have a perfect running 76 031av i picked up earlier this year from a yard sale and i am worried about running it dry to store it because i'm worried the diaphragms may dry out and begin to disintegrate in a saw this old and it is getting very hard to find replacement parts for a 031.

I also just recently purchased a ms261c-m and I run my ms261c-m with stihls own motomix 93 50:1 and in my 031 i have been using TrueFuel 92 40:1 both fuels claim they should last up to 2 years when opened anyway and they are ethanol free and i believe have fuel stabilizers in them as well?, Also all my saws are stored indoors in my house ( my wife loves me! and i have no garage lol ) so they are kept in a dry and warm place all winter. Should i still stick to the run dry method with these saws especially old ones? I know the manual states the run dry method as well for the ms261c-m but it is the old 031 i am worried about running dry.

I have always run my chainsaws dry as well but they are more modern saws, My question is would you do the same with vintage saws? I have a perfect running 76 031av i picked up earlier this year from a yard sale and i am worried about running it dry to store it because i'm worried the diaphragms may dry out and begin to disintegrate in a saw this old and it is getting very hard to find replacement parts for a 031.

I also just recently purchased a ms261c-m and I run my ms261c-m with stihls own motomix 93 50:1 and in my 031 i have been using TrueFuel 92 40:1 both fuels claim they should last up to 2 years when opened anyway and they are ethanol free and i believe have fuel stabilizers in them as well?, Also all my saws are stored indoors in my house ( my wife loves me! and i have no garage lol ) so they are kept in a dry and warm place all winter. Should i still stick to the run dry method with these saws especially old ones? I know the manual states the run dry method as well for the ms261c-m but it is the old 031 i am worried about running dry.

If you keep it in a warm dry place, keep gas in it. Just take it out once or twice a month and run it for a few minutes to get everything moving a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 76 031 isn't to much older than a 028 may be. I'm going to keep using this echo oil mixed at 40:1 that says it has stabilizer in it and never run them dry. All my saws are in my garage and it's about 40 to 50 in the winter. I also do a lot of cutting in the winter.

Put away for winter? I'm just getting ready to take mine out of summer storage. I hate cutting wood if it is over 60°

Back