How do I secretly kill a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoahItsWelker

Reaction score
[album=medium]1833[/album]I've tried looking around online but haven't found a solid answer.

My wife and I moved into a neighborhood about a year ago. We have a driveway that wraps around a garden. Our HOA claims that garden is common space, so we can't do anything to it. Our county tax assessment says it's ours. It's overgrown and just generally a mess.

So, after much complaining, the HOA agrees to get a landscaper out. He jut cut a couple bushes out, but that's it. There are two big pine trees that look horrible. One of them is diseased. One of them is healthy, but an eyesore.

I want them both gone. Even though the county says I have a right to cut them down, the HOA says I can't. So, I figure I'll just kill them so the HOA has no choice but to remove them....

Ahh, "the oh I'll just kill it thread" Let us see, I will make a post in a professional arborist forum to folks bound by ethics to ask advice of how to kill a tree secretly:popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2: Since you seem to want a partner in crime, I suggest you go to the mob forum and have them kill it by machine gun and then kill you to keep the secret;)

Rope is right, That question is up to you how to handle it. I have been asked so many time so I could remove the offender. There are many laws and regulations concerning this in my neighborhood. I live in a rural area that has little control of this. If you can not negotiate then it will be your call. Thanks

So your front yard is deemed a "common space"? On what grounds?
If the assessors office says its your property, get notarized documentation. Property survey maps with measurements from known benchmarks (corner of the house, centerline of the road etc) should have been provided on purchase of the house. Where are the boundary marker pins? Locate and mark them in a way that will be easily identifiable later on if needed. Is there a right of way that is maintained by the town that extends into the property from the edge of the roadway? Find out and if so have it marked clearly. If you can establish that you legally own the property, get somebody to do whatever it is you want done. If the town maintains a right of way there, ask them to do something or ask for permission to clean it up.

As is often the case, most people dont care if their shrubs or greenery is effecting their neighbors. Once was a neighbor that planted some bushes in the corner of their property, but next to the neighbors driveway where it intersected the main road. Eventually the bushes grew enough to block the view of anyone pulling out of the driveway. They where asked several times to trim the bushes back and refused. After all, the bushes didnt block their view pulling in and out of their driveway, plus they like the way the bushes looked. To make a long story short, after a few close calls of almost getting hit buy a car when trying to pull onto the main road, the neighbors started throwing a handful of Sahara weed killer out on the bushes. Didnt take long before the bushes where dead. The owners cut down and tried replanting more bushes, but they would just die to. In fact the area stayed weed and grass free for several years. Just telling a story, not saying I would do, or suggesting that you should do, such a thing.

So your front yard is deemed a "common space"? On what grounds?
If the assessors office says its your property, get notarized documentation. Property survey maps with measurements from known benchmarks (corner of the house, centerline of the road etc) should have been provided on purchase of the house. Where are the boundary marker pins? Locate and mark them in a way that will be easily identifiable later on if needed. Is there a right of way that is maintained by the town that extends into the property from the edge of the roadway? Find out and if so have it marked clearly. If you can establish that you legally own the property, get somebody to do whatever it is you want done. If the town maintains a right of way there, ask them to do something or ask for permission to clean it up.
Thats ^^^^^^^ what you need to do. Prove that YOU own that land but also have the HOA prove that it is their common space and not just assumed common space. Now HOA'S usually have "rules" in place that do enforce crazy things that you can or cant do on the outside of your property and these are their to prevent some Arsewipe from painting their house purple or being trash, but also hamper your desire to live and do freely on property you own. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Its possible that the HOA has a landscape easement over that part of your property. Your survey should show it if there is. Its possible the survey co. missed it, it would definitely be on the plat recorded with the city.
I had a coworker years ago who claimed he killed his neighbors tree (the offending tree was dropping leaves in his pool) by dumping a large pot of boiling water in the root zone on an almost nightly basis.

I had to kill a stump to prevent second growth. I just drilled holes into it and filled with Roundup. Dead as a doornail. Not recommending anything, just sayin'.
BB

Chainsaws usually kill them dead and once they are dead they don't talk. For the trees you could just drill some 3/8" holes at the very base and pour some chemicals that you can get at Lowe's that dissolves stumps.

Any idea what this is, or how I could find out? I found it under my blue spruce that has mysteriously started to die.

tab.jpg

soak it in gasoline

Edit:

I'm sorry. Just channeling my frustration. I think HOA's are ridiculous. I could never live in a place like that.

If it really is your property. I would probably just remove the eyesore. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Right?

[album=medium]1833[/album]I've tried looking around online but haven't found a solid answer.

My wife and I moved into a neighborhood about a year ago. We have a driveway that wraps around a garden. Our HOA claims that garden is common space, so we can't do anything to it. Our county tax assessment says it's ours. It's overgrown and just generally a mess.

So, after much complaining, the HOA agrees to get a landscaper out. He jut cut a couple bushes out, but that's it. There are two big pine trees that look horrible. One of them is diseased. One of them is healthy, but an eyesore.

I want them both gone. Even though the county says I have a right to cut them down, the HOA says I can't. So, I figure I'll just kill them so the HOA has no choice but to remove them....
If you pay taxes etc to the county tell them that you will withold part payment re the disputed land until it is sorted "tween" the County & the HOA as to who has the right to deal with it let them sort it & send you written proof of owner ship.

Yeah, a Zebra F-301 .7mm which is a nice gel-ink ballpoint pen. See those dents? He's been biting the pen so hard, he must be really frustrated by those urinal cakes under his tree.
It looks minerally. I'm hoping it is a pellet from someone's bird feeder that the jays carried there and dropped.

Back