Woodmaxx kinetic splitter anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been checking out their 3 pt snowblower. Seems that changed and improved their newest design and when comparing specs they don't seem to give up anything over any of the highly regarded Canadian brands, all for much less.

They also just released a sawmill. It looks like a pimped out harbor freight mill. Some really nice added features.
Is there something online? I can't find it on their website, only some news they were working on it and have been for a few years. Thanks.

When I talked to them they said their rack was only 1.5 inches wide, where supersplit and Splitsecond both have 2.25 inch wide racks. I am not sure what DR Power is running. Also the woodmaxx 28 and 34 have interchangeable racks and pinions. I assume the only real difference between the 28 and 34 ton models is the flywheel weight.

I do like their wedge design as opposed to the others that only have a thin wedge. Thin wedge takes less power but just like on my hydro unit I can put the thin wedge 4 inches into the wood and it just gets harder to push. Then the wide wedge hits the wood and in short order it splits apart. I watched several videos where the SS would slice through the entire length of the round and never split it. Then you are fighting to get it off the wedge or using a push block to dislodge the round. Now you have too many peices of wood on your table to do any work

Colour me retarded, but I went there already, couldn't find the sawmill info on the site. I can find a cached page in google search for a SM-26/e model but with no details other than a price. Can you point me to a link from that site please? i promise I did look but couldn't see it.

Sorry about that. I actually checked out a YouTube video that popped up when I was watching snowblower videos

This one looks a lot like the Woodmaxx, but with a 7 hp Kohler motor.
PK0303PIC1_1024x1024.png

https://www.woodsplitteroutlet.com/...yEp0y13rK_Pm4BNrqlOcwf-N12obqGwBoCbrQQAvD_BwE

Marshy whats the story with the woodmaxx 28 ton splitter? Go or no go?
Splitter is in possession of my coworker and he has assembled it. It has a Briggs motor and he said assembly was straight forward. I asked how quality was and he said all tolerances we're good, only had to over size one hole which was slightly off. Rather than trying to ram the bolt in he said he drilled it and it went together. Been busy at work and had a family matter to address last week then it's been a bit wet last few days so I'm hopeful to get a video of it in the coming week or two. So far he likes it.

I like it. Price point is in range for what I am willing to spend, but I agree with fish and U.M.. Its a pretty frontline machine. I remember the DR didn't work out so well-did they resolve that or give a up? If this machine ends up reliable I'd be game, but I only burn 2-2.5 cords a year. Hydros are so slow-it's hard to waste that much time splitting wood. Of all the machines I've watched I like the initial design of the split second the best. The SS would bug me the way it wobbles while splitting and cam follower issues from what I've read in Casey forests thread. Having said that most things can be modified and improved. I think this company will be around awhile but like fish said SS has been. I'd rather cry once than cry twice

DR is still making their splitters with some changes in designs. They are actually on sale until October 26th I believe for $2299 for the 34 ton version. One of the reasons why I would like to know how woodmaxx stacks up. All I have is Elm and cottonwood around me and mostly large rounds (30 inches or better). I'm afraid to try one of these machines and have it not be equal to the task including Super Split

Excaliber I think this is a case of you get what you pay for. I had a Speeco kinetic. I didn't pay much for it as it was one that got recalled to replace the rack and pinion the shop changed the parts and TSC stopped selling them so the shop just had it setting around as TSC didn't want it back. I bought it put a jack shaft on it to slow the flywheels down , redesigned the pinion engaging system and it worked good for several years. It really shined splitting ash but we mostly split locust and hedge. A lot of our wood is big so a splitter with a log lift and tables works the best. The two guys that help me didn't like the kinetic it needed to be higher up log lift and table to keep the resplit pieces off the ground. The splitter we use the most is a homemade beam is waist high, log lift, lot of tables, four inch cylinder with three inch ram 28 Gpm two stage pump. That splitter will keep two to three guys busy. We do about 15 cord a year only for my own usage. I sold the Specco last winter as it had set in shed two years and no one had used it. If you think you really need a kinetic I would save up and buy a super split as they have been around. I think with elm and cotton wood you will have to watch when you split them with a kinetic to make it work smooth. Around here elm and cotton wood goes in the brush, burn pile as it doesn't make enough heat to keep my Garn happy.

Colour me retarded, but I went there already, couldn't find the sawmill info on the site. I can find a cached page in google search for a SM-26/e model but with no details other than a price. Can you point me to a link from that site please? i promise I did look but couldn't see it.

Don't know if you found the page or not but this should be a direct link, it is off the home page/sawmills. It is way down near the bottom under the "Shop" list on the left side of the page.

http://www.woodmaxx.com/product_p/sm-26.htm

Back