Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like if i start right below the face to humbolt it it's a crapshoot if the bar walks or not ,if i dog in the corner of my first cut 50 50 chance of hitting the other corner ,not sure if the oregon light bar is helping or hurting me sometimes ,it flexes a bit more then my es light or the cannon.

I am referring to bigger trees 28 or larger where you can not see the other side when cutting .
This is where pulling out and swinging the bar 90 deg to the face then tipping it down comes in handy. Or to shorten yer strokes establish the gun cut leave the saw dogged in and rotate the bar 90 then tip fer the slope cut.... ole reg coates had a video showing this but i cant find it

Seems like if i start right below the face to humbolt it it's a crapshoot if the bar walks or not ,if i dog in the corner of my first cut 50 50 chance of hitting the other corner ,not sure if the oregon light bar is helping or hurting me sometimes ,it flexes a bit more then my es light or the cannon.

I am referring to bigger trees 28 or larger where you can not see the other side when cutting .

When you start your second cut on the face try to use the same angle every time. When you start the second cut dog in just a little...very little... below the corner on the first cut. If you dog in with just enough pressure to hold the saw you'll be better able to correct your angle if need be.
Using the same saw and bar day in and day out helps too.
Don't worry about it too much. A tiny miss or a cleanout happens to everybody. Some of the best fallers I know still screw one up every once in awhile.
Everybody has good days and bad.If you cut all day every day matching your cuts would eventually be less of problem.

I know I haven't posted often here. Between single dad of a preteen girl and a just turned teen boy don't get a whole lotta free time to post so. My contribution for the day not big at 20" on the front stick that's already cut and 18ish on the rear still standing. Had a property line in the way of the standingtrees natural lean and weight so had to push it 90*ish clock.wise in in the pic to miss the property line. Was an uggly contrary female canine getting it over but it went none the less. But I did get a chance to try out a cool app that measures tree height with my smart phone camera. Found it was accurate within about an inch and a half once it's calibrated so that's a bonus

Attachments

• IMG_20171018_083530.jpg
    IMG_20171018_083530.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
So today was a crummy start spent most of the night doing drywall. Then got up at 6 to get the kids ready for school, got my son on the bus and took my daughter in to deal with a "your daughter is being insubordinate" tone from the staff. Got into the woods to deal with this tree.

2 maple grown together, one back weighted severely 9oclock to where I wanted them both to go.
Got through the back cut and started tapping the wedges *I need a heavier axe 1.5lb just ain't cutting it*
The bigger back weighted trunk decided it didn't want to fall where I wanted it too and went it's own way. Probably a few things I could done differently to sort it out I seen where I went wrong but was already half way through the back cut by the time it clued in my mind wasn't focused so I called it a day no point in taking anymore chances when I know I'm not focused enough LO was happy he just wanted then down so he can block them up for firewood he didn't care where they went too as there was no leave trees to worry about.

Enjoy

So today was a crummy start spent most of the night doing drywall. Then got up at 6 to get the kids ready for school, got my son on the bus and took my daughter in to deal with a "your daughter is being insubordinate" tone from the staff. Got into the woods to deal with this tree.

2 maple grown together, one back weighted severely 9oclock to where I wanted them both to go.
Got through the back cut and started tapping the wedges *I need a heavier axe 1.5lb just ain't cutting it*
The bigger back weighted trunk decided it didn't want to fall where I wanted it too and went it's own way. Probably a few things I could done differently to sort it out I seen where I went wrong but was already half way through the back cut by the time it clued in my mind wasn't focused so I called it a day no point in taking anymore chances when I know I'm not focused enough LO was happy he just wanted then down so he can block them up for firewood he didn't care where they went too as there was no leave trees to worry about.

Enjoy

Have you ever cut the marms up higher above the fork and fall them one at a time to help with direction ?

Normally if the fork of the marm is low enough I'll cut them as individuals, but I don't like cutting above chest height so avoid it when I can.

So I got a call from the land owner on that tree yesterday, apparently the friend that was going to come and cut it up for him for firewood is all of a sudden down with the flu. So he asked if I'd be willing to block it all for him.
Sure no problem but it's by the hour for me and my helper together @$75/hr.

Not a bad morning 4 hours with a nice breeze keeping us from sweating. Blocked the tree and piled it where the LO can get his truck and splitter too. Probably 3 cord worth of maple.

Only billed him 3 hours as he made sure we had a cooler full of snacks and soda when we got there that never seemed to run low

Attachments

• 20171025_2.jpg
    20171025_2.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 26

Enjoy

Might try cutting yourself a few steps up next time on a double like that it's not much fun to cut like this but it will get you out of a tight spot like that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

slopey cuts...

if ya watch close you can see the wedge stand up. Its a wee bit blurry though.
Just a quick question how do the guys find center on true oversize? I was taught to sight without anything it was to help invention the fall ahead of time.

Just a quick question how do the guys find center on true oversize? I was taught to sight without anything it was to help invention the fall ahead of time.

I'm not understanding the question? you mean like big trees where the bar isn't long enough? Cause I just ded reckon it mostly, though I like the sight lines for aiming, deep more then steep.

Enjoy

Yeah sometimes you just have to cut higher. I've cut as far as I can reach over my head. Not fun but sometimes you have to do it. Much better hold wood there too. And your chain will thank you.

I think he means you can't trust the gun on a big ass tree. Hence the gunning sticks.

Bad back cuts happen northy. Some days it's the chain, some days the bar, and sometimes me.

And what are you doing up so early?? I'm parked in the woods waiting and it's still dark as hell here.

The Oregon Light is not helping.

Back