Need input on log splitters please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1304.PNG ive got mesquite wood at my house that needs to be split.
I have never used a log splitter before but am considering buying one.
Would one of the "10 ton hydraulic " log splitters work and be worth the money?
Or are they junk?
Any input greatly appreciated, thanks!

I have a lot more wood than what is pictured. A log splitter would greatly improve production, I just need to know if they work ok or not

Should I rent a manual one or a gas powered one?
I prefer gas powered. 22 ton or larger. You can use what you want, I am done splitting for the season. Many times it takes more then 6 inches of travel to split a log.

View attachment 607532 View attachment 607533 View attachment 607534 ive got mesquite wood at my house that needs to be split.
I have never used a log splitter before but am considering buying one.
Would one of the "10 ton hydraulic " log splitters work and be worth the money?
Or are they junk?
Any input greatly appreciated, thanks!
Don't bother with that thing. Honestly, I think those are a joke. You might want to try hand splitting before you rent or buy something like that. I'd bet my Fiskars X27 would make quick work of it. And if not, you've only spend $60 on a quality splitting axe that you can use later. Otherwise rent a gas powered hydraulic splitter and get to work. You shouldn't need but a hour or two to get through that pile in the pic.

Back