Who burns Maple Ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowhog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking at the btu chart Maple Ash (Box elder) has 17.9 million btu per cord and poplar has 13.7 million btu per cord. I have about 40 cords standing on the place. I figure if I cut it up I can find someone to pick it up off the ground. I'm thinking it would work fine for a outside wood stove.

Looking at the btu chart Maple Ash (Box elder) has 17.9 million btu per cord and poplar has 13.7 million btu per cord. I have about 40 cords standing on the place. I figure if I cut it up I can find someone to pick it up off the ground. I'm thinking it would work fine for a outside wood stove.
Frankly, I avoid both but if it's free and easy to get, go for it. Leave it in as big a piece as the stove will handle because it will burn fast.

Fast and hot. I don't turn it away but don't search it out. Dries pretty quick when split.

We call it Manitoba Maple here. Grows like a weed and is light when dry. I only use it for kindling and have sold some bagged as campfire wood.

We burn a lot of stuff with the same 17 or so million BTU output around here: silver maple, doug fir, siberian elm and I would actively seek it assuming its free. We also burn lodgepole (15m BTU) and ponderosa (14.8m BTU). The medium hardwoods and softwoods make up most of what we can get around here anyway.

I tend to avoid Aspen (poplar) and ponderosa unless its standing dead.

I burn a good amount of manitoba maple here I can walk 10 steps out my door in any direction and find one. I use it pretty much as my primary wood for heating my house along with poplar and a little bit of ash. Last night at 8 I threw in 3 smallish splits of elder and 1 piece of willow (which is even lower btu) and when I woke up this morning at 445 there was enough coals for an easy relight. Sure it's not oak but not sure why everyone bashes it so much. This is the stove not even 5 mins later after reload more box elder!

Attachments

• 20171020_044810.jpg
    20171020_044810.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 10
I'm not sure I understand just what you want. Do you need to clear the area and want someone to come get it? You said "someone will pick it up". If so, put an add on CL and I'm sure folks will get it quick. If you want to sell it and get a little return for your work, put a sign in your yard, or a CL add, X dollars per truck load. Do you want to make pretty good money, split and deliver it. The only thing I'd add is if you cut it up and want people to haul it away, try to cut it in even pieces, If I see a pile of free wood in a yard and the big pieces are cut 6" thick and the little pieces are cut 36", I'd leave $20 dollars of rubber on the road getting away from it, Joe.

I'm not sure I understand just what you want. Do you need to clear the area and want someone to come get it? You said "someone will pick it up". If so, put an add on CL and I'm sure folks will get it quick. If you want to sell it and get a little return for your work, put a sign in your yard, or a CL add, X dollars per truck load. Do you want to make pretty good money, split and deliver it. The only thing I'd add is if you cut it up and want people to haul it away, try to cut it in even pieces, If I see a pile of free wood in a yard and the big pieces are cut 6" thick and the little pieces are cut 36", I'd leave $20 dollars of rubber on the road getting away from it, Joe.
I posted it on my facebook page. I been cutting 16-18 inch. I think its a good deal if someone else loads and piles up brush for free firewood.

I burn a good amount of manitoba maple here I can walk 10 steps out my door in any direction and find one. I use it pretty much as my primary wood for heating my house along with poplar and a little bit of ash. Last night at 8 I threw in 3 smallish splits of elder and 1 piece of willow (which is even lower btu) and when I woke up this morning at 445 there was enough coals for an easy relight. Sure it's not oak but not sure why everyone bashes it so much. This is the stove not even 5 mins later after reload more box elder!
Keeping you and the family warm is what it's all about.Beats trying to burn snowballs and icecicles

Back