Modern replacement for Pro Mac 10-10?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.2 HP and 6.4kg for the 311 listed as home owner saw, has a carb too.
4.8 HP and 5.6kg for the 362 ,
have no figure for the weight of the 361, is it M tronic / MT or has it a standard carb.
The 361 revs more, the 362 has torq lower down the RPM, they are quite different in this respect,
there is differences in the air filter too as far as am aware, others who use them will advise.

They are not high in money, just be sure to take a compression tester to check
them out, either way run them as long as you can, pull the plug first and check its condition,
then run them, then before you say yes, look at plug again.

Looks decent on the outside. If you don’t have compression tester hold it by the pull cord. If you have a t27 you can try and pull the muffler and see the piston l, if not do some slow pulls and listen for squeaks as the piston slides. And checking the plug is good too.

forget the Ranchers. Buy a rockin' new(er) pro-saw with some snap. Stihl and Husky new saws in the 50-60cc range are electronic. Major BOO!

some of the off-brands, meaning not Husky or Stihl, haven't gone to the electronic carb control. This makes them far more desireable in some's opinion, including mine FWIW. Dolmar and Echo come to mind...Almost every model of Dolmar is a "pro" saw. Pro in construction and pro in the factory tuning.

Or find a pristine recent, but not electronic Stihl or Husky PRO saw.

The Pro saws are tuned to rip (throttle response, snap, rev, whatever), not chug, which is not necessarily more effective, but definitely more fun.

I can't stand how those "farm" saws run...or how they are built. Personal issues I guess.

A Stihl 361 will put a smile on your face. So will a 260. A Husky 353 or 359 or especially a SORTED 357 will do the same. A Dolmar 5100 or 6400 or maybe even a 420 (which is just a plain wicked little saw) are all good, strong, snappy saws.

And ya! almost forgot about the Chinese aftermarket parts thing making beat-up stuff looking new-ish.

If you were satisfied with the old mac, power-wise, then any new-er PRO 50 or 60cc saw will work for you.

Imo you would be better served with a good example of a known good model of a recent saw than anything electronic. If you want it to last another 50 years.....

That saw has aftermarket plastics and pull start. I would be wary of it. It may have a lot of Chinese parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top covers look to new to be the original on the saw but the starter cover looks like it may be. Although the handle isn’t elastostart. I know the ms361 writing wears off on the starter cover. It looks like there’s paint flaking towards the front on it

You can easily find a McCulloch 10-10S or PM55 off e-bay or Craig's List, other shoppers, etc.. If you liked the 10-10 either one of those would be even better. Bump it up to a PM700 or 7-10 and you would be impressed. SP models (SP60, SP70, SP80/81/81E) and PM models (PM850/805/800) would really wow you with power and good anti-vibe but you'd better find one locally, e-bay prices are rather inflated.

If you go for a modern saw (Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Dolmar/Makita) you will need a 60 cc saw to give you the kind of lugging ability you have become accustomed to. A modern 50 cc saw will rev higher and cut faster, but you will have to learn a whole new way to operate a saw to take advantage of them.

Mark

well, the 361 is a bust. talking with the owner gave me that "pass" feeling. Ended up talking with the neighbor. He said he had a saw I could have if I could get it running. He'd only used it a few times and then it wouldn't start anymore.
It's a "Wild thing" made by poulan. Thing's basically hardly new. Whoever set the carb up on it though should have been shot. The thing was so lean I'm surprised it ever ran at all. After some judicious fiddling and cleaning of the old gas and varnish in the carb it starts and runs fine - but if this is the way saws have gone these days. I'm not impressed. the thing feels like a kids toy. I mean it's really light. but it's got nowhere near the power. Feels like I'd break the thing on anything larger than a 10 inch tree. Cut up a few small logs and it ran fine, but I can't "bear down" on the log like I'm used to with the mac. Feels like I just have to keep the rpm's really high and use a light touch. It's certainly not what I would call a chainsaw. more like a brush whacker. I'll keep it for pruning or if I ever have to work on a ladder or carry it a long way. Either that, or I'll sell it to a vikings fan. it's all sorts of fugly purple like the team colors. Then again - maybe the all steel McCullough is just a fat pig too. I could be biased on that. Shame what poulan has become. We used to have a monster with a huge bar back in the 70's that was a total beast. It was probably twice as heavy as the pro mac, and I seem to remember it being temperamental, but we used it on the real massive stumps and it had power to spare. Dad got rid of it after we got the new fireplace and didn't need as much wood.

Probably a good replacement saw for your 10-10 might be a Stihl 026 or a Husqvarna 346XP, roughly the same size and both with adequate power and ability to stay together. Or you could always buy another 10-10, there's still nice ones out there. I recently sold a couple of 10-10S saws which were in great condition so I know they're out there..
Poulan Wild Thing wouldn't be a good replacement however. You said it right, they're good on smaller stuff only..

Latest posts

Back