Advice on this removal/cleanup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points above, get a pro involved, learn from him, and make some money form
the clean up and the sale of the logs.

Regards, john

Dang bro.

OP have you ever done storm cleanup.
Do you have a plan so that you do not damage the other trees.
No one here knows your experience, except what you've lead on with your question, so we know what you haven't done, but not what you have done.
What gear/equipment do you have/plan on using.

I am pretty sure he was joking, it's a real tree guy thing, if you need us to bid your job, maybe you should work at Walmart.
Jeff

This will be my first one of their size, as well as a leaner. Lots of experience cutting, helped drop/buck trees. Pic below is a recent dead drop I did for my HOA (rain came thru and flattened the grass/cat tails). We'll get it out of there once the ground is frozen

As for equip, 3 guys with saws from looking at it it should slide free of the tree it is leaning against. Not equipped to climb.

View attachment 606743

How many man hours are you gonna bid on that?
Jeff

What do you mean how to bid it? Bid it to make money, duh. How long is it gonna take you? What's your hourly rate?

Cut everything that is on ground, cut the two limbs in open air, release the trunk from remaining limbs, get everything possible out of the way, take as much off the hung up portion as possible, then throw a bull rope or chain on the hung limbs attach to truck and slide it on out.

I am pretty sure he was joking, it's a real tree guy thing, if you need us to bid your job, maybe you should work at Walmart.
Jeff
I know, I've read a lot of you guys post through the years, some were helpful(and I did appreciate those)
I'm learning a lot myself, and as I was saying above, basically can you afford to learn/get experience.
I paid a small price myself this week, smashing my truck because of multiple errors I made.
To me that's part of the training/cost of doing business, and to a certain degree should be worked into every quote.

If you don't know how to bid it, you don't know how to do it.
Dad always said you don't get respect until you earn it, you are two peas in a pod.
People need to be given an opportunity to learn. Just because you/I've had to go to the school of hard knocks doesn't mean everything needs to be as hard for others.
I applaud that people actually want to work/learn, and enjoy helping people to do so.
So why is it you won't help someone, rather than being sarcastic.
I find it odd how many people here would discourage someone from trying to start a tree service and are unwilling to help others.

Bidding on tree work is very simple. How many guys + how much per man hour + how long the job will take.
The easy part is how much per man hour. You get to set on price on how much you are worth. The market has some bearing on that but not as much as you think.
The hard part is determining how long the job will take with your skill set and equipment. This is where a lot of guys get in trouble. If you bid a job for 4 hours and it takes 8, you lost money.
Try and break each stage of the job up into pieces and assign a number of time to each piece. For instance: piecing apart the tree : 1.5 hours
Debris removal: 2 hours
Clean up, rake and blow: .5 hours
75 per man, 2 man crew=$150 per hour
150 p/h × 4 hours on sight= $600
These numbers are for an example only and are not meant for you to price this job. You need to input your numbers (your value + time on site) to determine your price.

Dad always said you don't get respect until you earn it, you are two peas in a pod.
People need to be given an opportunity to learn. Just because you/I've had to go to the school of hard knocks doesn't mean everything needs to be as hard for others.
I applaud that people actually want to work/learn, and enjoy helping people to do so.
So why is it you won't help someone, rather than being sarcastic.
I find it odd how many people here would discourage someone from trying to start a tree service and are unwilling to help others.

Thank you sir! All of the other tree work I've done around the neighborhood and small tree removals was obviously on a much smaller scale and I just billed my contracted hourly rate.

Bidding on tree work is very simple. How many guys + how much per man hour + how long the job will take.
The easy part is how much per man hour. You get to set on price on how much you are worth. The market has some bearing on that but not as much as you think.
The hard part is determining how long the job will take with your skill set and equipment. This is where a lot of guys get in trouble. If you bid a job for 4 hours and it takes 8, you lost money.
Try and break each stage of the job up into pieces and assign a number of time to each piece. For instance: piecing apart the tree : 1.5 hours
Debris removal: 2 hours
Clean up, rake and blow: .5 hours
75 per man, 2 man crew=$150 per hour
150 p/h × 4 hours on sight= $600
These numbers are for an example only and are not meant for you to price this job. You need to input your numbers (your value + time on site) to determine your price.

Thanks for that advice, i've been looking at it as one big job not individual tasks to complete the job.

Well...finally heard back from them. They had hired someone as soon as it was down (happened a few months ago) and they are allegedly going to do it this winter. Going to try and get on their contractor list for future work

Can you find out what the other bid was? It might help you for future pricing and understanding what the market is a little bit. Then you can ask yourself if you would have been willing to do it for that much or if you could have done it for Less.

Can you find out what the other bid was? It might help you for future pricing and understanding what the market is a little bit. Then you can ask yourself if you would have been willing to do it for that much or if you could have done it for Less.
Seems like something is off to me, never heard of a guy so busy you would have to wait months
on him to take away One tree, hard to get people to go on a waiting list too for something that for safety
alone should be taken care of as soon as.
Either way, it would be good to be around to see how they tackle this job,
and examine the finished project, and see how the people who pay the bill react.

I'll keep an eye on their neighborhood webpage which has all of their meeting minutes ( which include all expenses)

If I am able to get on the list for future removals I did notice walking around the area that so far all of the trees cut down just as the stump cut level with the ground by chainsaw.

Seems like something is off to me, never heard of a guy so busy you would have to wait months
on him to take away One tree, hard to get people to go on a waiting list too for something that for safety
alone should be taken care of as soon as.
Either way, it would be good to be around to see how they tackle this job,
and examine the finished project, and see how the people who pay the bill react.

Agreed, The sidewalk that the tree is blocking leads to a retirement apartment community. my friend has noticed lots of elderly people having to walk around it on black grass to get to the walking trails through the neighborhood. Thankfully no one has volunteered at by sadly it's probably just a matter of time until that happens

Latest posts

Back