Question about sugar maple tree branch looking odd and risks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WackyTomato

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dear all,

I'm glad I found this forum. I would really need some of you experienced folks here to have a look at these pictures and recommend a course of action. This here is an established approx 50 years old+ sugar maple. One of the main branch seems to have a significant canker in it (refer to pictures). I am not sure if that is a canker caused by rot, animals, or anything else OR an old healing wound caused by the pruning / cracking of an old branch. The problem is that if that particular limb cracks and - God forbid! - falls off, the roof of the house might get the top of that limb. The top of that limb is composed of thin-ish / medium sized branches, but this cause still cause some significant damage nonetheless.

It has to be noted that the foliage of that particular branch is perfectly fine and it looks healthy otherwise.

What do you guys think? I uploaded four pictures to this thread.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 0t7ONLC.jpg
    0t7ONLC.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 6UwvKXt.png
    6UwvKXt.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • pJDSekH.jpg
    pJDSekH.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 52
  • SuwI4vR.jpg
    SuwI4vR.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 51
Looks to me to be an old wound from a codominant branch breaking off.
Interior wood is decayed but woundwound reaction looks great.
Canopy looks good from the pic but I would want a closer look at the root flair. I generally recommend pneumatic excavation, sod removal, and mulch bed installation in curcumstances similiar to this.

Looks to me to be an old wound from a codominant branch breaking off.
Interior wood is decayed but woundwound reaction looks great.
Canopy looks good from the pic but I would want a closer look at the root flair. I generally recommend pneumatic excavation, sod removal, and mulch bed installation in curcumstances similiar to this.

Thank you for your answer. Would you therefore NOT be concerned with risks of that particular branch breaking off?

I will soon mulch that tree, avoiding the typical "volcano" type mulch mistake some people do. Any kind of wooden mulch mixed with dead leaves okay?

I would let the client know that there is a risk of failure. You could reduce the weight 15-20%. The tree is young and removing that branch would not effect its overall health.

I had the tree pruned a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully this helps. They raised the canopy to the 7 or 8 feet mark and thinned it by about 10 or 15%. They also removed dead branches and a branch that was decaying. Not sure how young you think that tree is but the house was built in 1957... I'm guessing the tree was planted around that time.

I wouldn't remove the damaged limb. It's large and attached to the main trunk and would likely breach comoartmentalized decay.

That limb looks to be pretty stable, with all that wound-wood, which is amazingly strong.. It would be good to see some pics of the entire branch and especially the tips.. Removing the entire branch would never be needed and would certainly be the cause of long term decay in the main stem with all that weight above it: that would be a future hazard. I would most likely feel comfortable with no pruning, however it would be best to see how heavy and how much lean there is in the limb and prune accordingly.. The only issue is "According to whom?"

Sometimes you can just take a little weight off the branch tips and end up removing "the straw that breaks the camel's back"... other times when there is serious structural compromise, its best to take a good bit of weight off the tips.. Note though that no live cuts on the main stem should be made over 4", and eve then only make cuts on the main trunk or stems in extreme circumstances... Several reduction cuts of 2-3" diameter on the tips of that limb should suffice for the next few years...

Latest posts

Back