Pimp my wedding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had a guy come by looking for some 2'' slabs and pedestals for there wedding decorations.
He wanted about a dozen 2''x12" slabs cut and 6 pedestals custom cut on the spot.
The wedding is Wednesday so she waited till the last min.
I gave him a price of 100 bucks for everything. His soon to be wife was on the phone saying it was too much.
She offered 50 bucks and I said I'd do it for 80. She came back with a 60 dollar offer and I said no. 80 bucks or nothing.
He talked with her again making me stand and wait for her to decide.
The he asked if he could just buy the logs and cut them himself. I said sure 50 bucks.
She said that was too much.
I said how much did she spend on her dress? He laughed and said he didn't know.
He ended up buying the logs for 50.

I have priced the round slabs that are sold on the internet for decorations and there all 15 to 20 bucks a slice.
So she waits till the last min then wants to bargain and try to do it on the cheap and expect me to stop what I'm doing and custom cut her decorations and she wants me to do dirt cheap.
I don't think so.
Poor guy, I hope he knows what he's getting into.
I hate people that try everything to save a dollar at my expense.
I should have stuck to my 80 dollar price and cut them myself or made him leave without.
Or Maybe I should have started going up from 100 to 120 when she started her bargaining crap.

Funny how unfinished wood and firewood used to be a material you wouldn’t see in a wedding, and that same woman would probably think it was so “cliche” ten years ago. Now its a sign of creativity and a guy can make good money supplying it. Glad you made a few bucks on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I slabbed some juniper like that for some friends wedding this August. Pink throughout the grain. Best ones ended up heart shaped. Can't imagine a chainsaw rookie making tight or clean parallel cuts.

I slabbed some juniper like that for some friends wedding this August. Pink throughout the grain. Best ones ended up heart shaped. Can't imagine a chainsaw rookie making tight or clean parallel cuts.
If it was a friend i would have done it for free.
That would be sweet if he showed back up saying he messed them up and needed some more.

I wish I could find a way to keep the bark on the slabs. They look much better with the bark intact.
You also need a wood that doesn't split when it dries. I've learned you need to cut from a dry log in order to keep the splitting down. If it's green it will almost always split. My logs punk out if I don't get them split pretty fast. If I leave them in log form they decay much faster.

My cousin asked if I could cut a slab for her wedding “guest log.” I said that I would but she would be disappointed when it split up. Well, I knew there was an elm trunk at the gate of the family lake that was standing dead for years. I dropped it and cut some angled slabs off. I told my aunt to seal them immediately and every time they sanded them. They did and even took the best one to a planing mill, sealing right after. It turned out great and she really appreciated that the tree came from her favorite place.

AD659109-A4CC-4D05-9730-C65D7EE25DB9.jpeg

I was married on a Thursday, Easy day to remember as it was Valintines day.

I am always looking for heart shaped idems in the wild for the wife and daughter. I got luck 25 years ago and a Dead Elm was heart shaped. I cut a slab off and made up a I love you slab for my wife. I have the rest stored in my pole barn under the work bench covered ready for me to cut another slab for the 40th and again if I live to make it to the 50th.

My wife worked days and I worked nights, so one day I am sliceing potatoes for American fried taters. Found a heart shape tater I left for the wife whith a note on the counter. She took it to work and those girls she worked with call the news paper and a guy came and took a picture and wrote a story about it.
Still have that around here some place too.

:D Al

Pretty much when they say "I'll Have To Check With My Wife" it's time to go.

I cut logs and drilled holes in the middle for flowers for my wedding for center pieces. It sounded so easy. My drill caught fire and I sent the logs on to my FIL and my wife's nephew to be finished. They needed a good project lol.

I knew it!!.....He actually called back today and told me he had rented a saw from Home depot and he only got 2 pieces cut and the saw stopped cutting.
He asked how much it would be if he brought the logs back and had me cut them. He wants me to cut 4 pieces. I said 30 bucks. He said he would have to check with his girlfriend. He called back and said she only wants to pay 18 dollars.
I said "Look dude, I don't have time to jack around with it. You ether pay 30 bucks or don't call back"
He called back 20 min later saying he would pay the price.
I will make him pay in advance and if he try's to bargain one more time i"m kicking him off my property.
He also must have lied or I heard him wrong but he said last week the wedding was the next wen.

Back