038 bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TONYLAMA

Tony
Reaction score
Guys i have a 038 super and want to know how long of a bar the saw will pull, it has a 20 on it now. I have a ms290 with a 16 inch on it and down to one chain. I was wanting to put a longer bar on the 038 super and move the 20 to the ms290. i am new to the site, i have not been on here for awhile.

thanks

What size are you wanting to go to?

According to acres the max length of the 038av is 32” but I don’t know that I’d push that far. They are supposed to have great torque which is where I could see it pulling that bar.

This is the 038av link, couldn’t find one for super

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...d7d12fb678653bf688256ba20049bcdb?OpenDocument
I am thinking on a 25. I haven't found much on a 038 super either, the post on here are about a 038 or a 038mag.

The Super I believe is around 67cc if I’m not mistaken. I’m sure others would be more knowledgeable. I think it’d do great with a 25” in my opinion

Years ago when the 038 was the go to saw people would run 32's all the time. At least in West Coast soft wood. You could go 1 tooth down on the sprocket if possible. West Coast guys always exaggerate by about 4 inches! so a 28 inch should work fine.

There you go. I kinda was thinking 28” would be good too but figured 25/4” was definitely good togo

I haven’t run an 038av, but i have two mags and they pull a 32”full skip chain like a boss in fir, spruce and maple. You can put a fair amount of muscle on the cut also before she starts to slip the clutch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here in the Midwest i will cut anything from hackberry to hedge. 038 super with the 20 inch bar doesn't even act like it is working when i am cutting hedge. i also have a 029 super, has anyone had any luck with big bore kit from Bailey's? The 029 needs a kit installed in it. Already performed the muffler mod before it started to lay down.

Back in the day when my 038 was my big saw I run a 24 all the time on that saw cutting hardwood and it handled it no problem and had a 36 that we would put on to take down and buck a big tree it would pull the 36 but it was a load.

Back