Cutting off tree root near trunk (under sidewalk)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Mckm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

The 50 years old tree next to the sidewalk has caused the sidewalk concrete to pop upward, and the local city inspector wanted tree roots within 1' under sidewalk to be all removed.

I got the sidewalk lifted, and found a major tree root under the sidewalk and it's at least 1' diameter.

That section of the root is less than 3 feet away from the main trunk.

Would cutting that root off cause any major injury to the tree?

Ummm, yeah. Just like cutting off your foot would cause major injury to you. Might even kill the tree eventually. Those big roots do help keep the tree vertical also.
Make sure the city is willing to take responsibility for any consequences later on down the road. Is that inspector an arborist? If not, get in touch with whoever is in charge of tree related issues in your town and get their opinion, then find a real arborist that is not a paid government employee and get a second opinion. Don't cut anything until you get some idea of what sort of problems this might cause for both you and the tree.

Hi,

The 50 years old tree next to the sidewalk has caused the sidewalk concrete to pop upward, and the local city inspector wanted tree roots within 1' under sidewalk to be all removed.

I got the sidewalk lifted, and found a major tree root under the sidewalk and it's at least 1' diameter.

There are other solutions like taking the side walk up a section or two and placing a bridge of diamond plate or even treated wood and can even be pleasing to the eye! Search out sidewalk bridges over roots come up with a plan and submit it to the tree murdering city guy lol

Hi,

So much depends upon circumstance and many factors to consider.. I cut a lot of tree roots in similar scenarios & locations but only once checked and determined the action vs harm short and long term all the while balancing cost benefit and looking for alternative solutions. With out pictures or further information to go with a single 1' diameter root 3 feet away should pose no concern...

What is the diameter (or circumference) of the tree?

Really rough rule of thumb: If you measure the circumference of the tree, then measure that distance away from the trunk...this is where your most significant anchoring roots are. Cutting those risks cutting the things that hold the tree in the ground. If it is in that zone, you need to get a qualified arborist out before cutting it. Like @arathol said, make sure the city is willing to take responsibility if the tree does cause damage because of that. Is it a city tree or on personal property?

Landmark case here in Ohio:
Resident cut tree roots of city owned tree (in the tree lawn/between street and sidewalk) to install new sidewalk. Tree fell over because of those cut roots and killed a family in their car. Lawsuits.... City said "their fault, they cut the roots". Ohio Supreme Court ended up finding the fault with the city because it was their tree and their duty of care to identify hazardous. Not saying that translates to any other State...just saying those are the things to think about.

If it's a single 1" tree root under the sidewalk, then it's not a problem. More, then you need to get more advice.

It is more than a foot in diameter, not an inch.

Hi,

If its only 3 feet from the tree, once you start digging you are likely find many more smaller roots that are less then a foot down and under the sidewalk. Doing this is opening a can of worms that will result in the tree having to be removed.

Usually that section of the property between the street and the sidewalk belongs to the city. Sounds like if the city wants it fixed their going to have to do it.

Hi,

I'm now finding another root near the tree's main trunk that is causing the sidewalk issue. This 2nd root is about 9 inches diameter. It's also within 2.5 feet from the tree's main trunk. The first root I found earlier was one foot diameter.

I'll need to cut out these 2 roots so the sidewalk can come down.

Is this too much for the tree to survive cutting out these 2 roots? The tree is about 50+ ft tall.

ah um er i had read your inch vs foot wrong (we used metric down here :sweet: ) anyhoo cutting a 1 foot diam root close to trunk not good,, sure I have done it but id suggest not too.... Can the city assist in alternative to cutting roots eg diverting the footpath section around or raising ramping the section of path over roots while allowing safe pedestrian passage.
Aswell you need to determine if the tree is worthy of long term works so have it assessed for SUL safe usefull life and weigh trees amenity value against diversion input costs..

pictures will really help us too

Hi,

I'm now finding another root near the tree's main trunk that is causing the sidewalk issue. This 2nd root is about 9 inches diameter. It's also within 2.5 feet from the tree's main trunk. The first root I found earlier was one foot diameter.

I'll need to cut out these 2 roots so the sidewalk can come down.

Is this too much for the tree to survive cutting out these 2 roots? The tree is about 50+ ft tall.

Cut out those two big roots and the tree may need to come down also. Maybe not tomorrow or next week but in the near future. Those two big roots may also be the difference between the tree falling and not falling in a windstorm. Who is going pick up the tab if your house or car gets squashed by this tree? If it falls into the street and lands on a car or worse who is liable? You need to get a lot more information as to who is responsible for what in writing from the city before you do anything.

Here is a picture of the tree and the 2nd root I found. It is more than I thought. I am now somewhat concerned if I cut out this structure (see the picture) what level of damage it would do to the tree.

IMG_20171118_145315.jpg

IMG_20171118_153000.jpg

According to the city, the homeowner is the one responsible for:

- planting tree on the sidewalk
- maintenance/upkeep of the tree on the sidewalk
- is fully liable of anything that goes wrong to the tree and anything on the sidewalk

And, the city has full ownership of both the sidewalk and the trees on the curbside adjacent to the sidewalk.

According to the city, the homeowner is the one responsible for:

- planting tree on the sidewalk
- maintenance/upkeep of the tree on the sidewalk
- is fully liable of anything that goes wrong to the tree and anything on the sidewalk

And, by the way, the city has full ownership of both the sidewalk and the trees on the curbside adjacent to the sidewalk.

If they claim full ownership of the property and everything on it, let them deal with it and take full responsibility for the consequences. You should not even be doing what is shown in the pictures. If you get hurt, is the city going to pay your medical bills? If someone using that sidewalk gets hurt because you have effectively closed the sidewalk to pedestrian traffic, you are going to lose everything you own to a huge lawsuit. The city will be right there to see to it that you are prosecuted because you were doing this on city owned property, illegally closed a public sidewalk, did not provide proper public notice that the sidewalk would be closed, didn't have the proper legally required signs in place, didn't provide an alternate path for pedestrians, didn't have a permit to do the work, etc, IE whatever they need to do to avoid being sued also.
Fill it in, close it up, and get professional help with the trees stuff and the legal stuff before you get in some real trouble.

Unfortunately, this is part of the city ordinance in many cities in CA (although not all). I'm really upset about this, and I've been trying to seek advice, but it's not positive that I can prevail over the city's ordinance.

Unless I'm ready for a long fight.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-...-sidewalk-responsibility-issue-639221-p2.html

Back to the tree, if this root structure shown in the photo is removed, it'd causing the tree to be unstable enough it can eventually fall in windstorms?

Back to the tree, if this root structure shown in the photo is removed, it'd causing the tree to be unstable enough it can eventually fall in windstorms?

Maybe. You need to get an arborist to look at it, and get an attorney for the legal stuff. You are putting yourself at considerable legal risk doing what you are doing without a professional consultation. From what I get out of those city ordinances, no matter how this thing goes its going to cost you money sooner or later, and a considerable amount. If you rip out the roots, fix the sidewalk and end up causing the tree to fall or become hazardous, the city will blame you and make you pay for it. If you don't fix the sidewalk, the city will do it, put a lean on your property, and charge you some exorbitant cost to do so. Meanwhile, hope you don't get sued because the ordinance also requires you to maintain the sidewalk in a safe condition at all times, something it certainly is not at this time. Lawyer up and protect yourself now.

Should have mentioned this -- I'm doing this because the city already sent me a letter asking me to fix the sidewalk and remove all tree roots under within one foot from top of the sidewalk concrete. The various sections of the sidewalk have already been marked by the city inspector.

Hmmmm...take that to an attorney. I'm wondering if their insisting that you cut anchoring roots transfers the liability to the city??? Still remove it so it doesn't kill people...but that may be on them if they are liable if/when it fails?????

Back