Swapping chain size.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaysSD114

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On my Sachs Dolmar 114 it uses the 3/8 .050 chain. I am running an 18" bar. My local Stihl dealer does not carry that size. Would I need to change bar and sprocket to convert to the Stihl chains? I'm sure he could just order the correct size chain but didn't know if there would be an advantage performance wise to go with the Stihl chain.

I didn’t look, the Dolmar 114 doesn’t run the 3/8 low pro/picco chain does it? Still shouldn’t make a difference to the dealer.

I believe it is 64 drive links. And yes it's the original bar that came on the saw when bought new in 1982.

3/8" 0.050" is one of the most common chain sizes sold. What does your dealer carry, 0.063"?

I wouldn't mind running .404 .080 on saws. Stuff seems to last forever compared to chainsaw chains!

Ok, so you some how, you still have the original bar from 82 .... why not update to a new bar in what every width your dealer sells ..... and I'll also say, .050 3/8ths is extremely common, it's on every saw that I have that runs 3/8ths ....

Just because the bar dates from 82 if it's not had much use or has little wear why spend money you don4t need to a new 64 or whatever DL 3/8 x 050 chain in whatever flavour you choose Stihl are quality chains but the cost puts off some folk If you know the #of DL's almost any brand/type can be bought either through dealers sponsors or on line

I think my dealer mainly carries .064. 3/8 is not common around here. Going to call a Dolmar dealer today and see if he has it.

Called the Dolmar dealer 10 miles away and he has 3/8 .050. $23 for a 64 drive link. It is a chisel. Price about right?

Not too bad of a price.

I called around looking for a place that shortens chains. No one does it - they just order the "custom" length needed from the mfgr. JaySD may be running into the same problem - his Stihl dealer carries what is needed for Stihl saw/bar combinations and can order a "custom" length if needed.

Back