Bar / chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey man, I just registered week or so ago , just checking to see if I can post

Test Test

Oh good price on oil, I keep forgetting they build a Tractor supply store local

Good luck to me if this posted. Never did get the email register confirmation email

Test Test

Good luck to me if this posted. Never did get the email register confirmation email
Welcome to the site.

Test Test

Hello & welcome to the forum. Chances are, your life will never be quite the same ever again. :innocent:

Every time I walk in Rural King to get feed or supplies I know I’m spending an extra $5 on a jug of bar oil, never a question if I have any.

Do you guys that use a lot of Bar Oil not have a blender that can suppy oil & "Taccifier" in separate containers, & "Brew to suit Thats the method we use Amount of "TACk" dependent on whats being cut

Do you guys that use a lot of Bar Oil not have a blender that can suppy oil & "Taccifier" in separate containers, & "Brew to suit Thats the method we use Amount of "TACk" dependent on whats being cut
You would be the first person that I've read that has that kind of set up. In all the years I've been here I've not heard one person say they have that ability.

You would be the first person that I've read that has that kind of set up. In all the years I've been here I've not heard one person say they have that ability.
We are a commercial logging set up & obtain our mix oil /bar oil from a 3 man company all 3guys ex ELF they were responsible for oil for 2 Smoke motors in bikes & other applications, with the fazing out of 2 smokes they decided to go into business for themselves & advise on the oil blend requirements for many applications/industries they blend our Fuel mix Oil & supply Bar base oil They also supply a "Tacciifer" separately we know the std "brew" & can add/subtract the amount dependent on the job requirement May be a case of rather who rather than what you know I must also add the Boss & head oil guy are Brothers in law

Couple of years ago I was in Rural King and saw a guy at the check-out with two shopping carts stacked as high as would ride with gallon jugs of bar oil at $4.99 each. When he turned around.....it was the owner of one of our local Stihl dealerships!!! :surprised3:

The Rural King local to me (Columbus) has a full-blown Stihl dealership in the store.

Thanks for the reminder on the bar oil. I'll pick up another jug or two. Even though I have 4 on-hand already.

I have used that Rural King oil and it is a little stiff for cold weather. Can you thin it out with veggie oil?

I splurged on the TSC oil when it was on sale. It's to thin for my taste. I went back to the silver jug stihl oil and use it summer and winter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I worked with an outfit in the UK that used a combo of Bio-Oil supplied by Stihl and rapeseed oil supplied by Aldi. If it got cold enough, we mixed more rapeseed. If the rapeseed didn't do the trick, we would add more bio-oil. The bio-oil had tacifier. I never had to add bio oil, though, even using a ported 385xp in hardwoods.

As for gumming up with veg, I noticed no more gumming up with rapeseed than with standard tacky oil. But we do not get hard freezes here(like below 0*C for a week or more). I have left pure rapeseed in a 281xp for 9 months of sitting once, and noticed no problems at all. The chain moved freely. Tank looked good.

I'm a fan of using bio or veg oil any chance you get. It is very easy on the environment, has none of the petrochem additives, some of which can be outright corrosive with prolonged exposure to flesh(especially hydraulic fluids! Wow), and it is cheaper if you go straight rapeseed where I now live.

Latest posts

Back