Root runners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robintexas

Reaction score
howdy! I have a tree that started as a shrub and is now quite large (10+ years). I noticed rather large roots running toward my slab. I like the shade of this tree. My questions are: what is this tree? Should I cut these roots? Is it possible to cut without killing the tree?

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
Looks like a laurel to me, can't tell if it's Portugese or Bay. Either way, if it is a laurel, you can hack the **** out of it and it will come back next year with vengeance.

Thanks so much for the response!

I looked up images of both of those trees, and the leaves are bit more 'pointed' than the leaves on my tree. Mine are a bit more rounded at the tips. I'll try to post another pic tonight of a close up of the leaves. You may be right of course, just adding information.

I'm definitely going w laurel as well. Here in Washington the leaves can vary greatly. Ive seen Smoot edges, serrated edges, rounded, and pointed. All in the same row.

Behaving like laurel. In my not so humble opinion, trees that close to building structures are, or will be, nothing but trouble. However, I do believe that competent arborists can can extend the longevity and enjoyment of such trees. I would cut that thing down within a foot or two of the ground, and as BC west coast said, it will come back. I don’t see the roots being a problem. I might cut them at the corner of your A.C. slab if you are worried about it.

Back