Electric chain saw with 20"+ bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake00

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Havent been here in a long while...

At work we sometimes cut long skids of kiln dried lumber (in 1/2) with an echo with a 24" bar We usually cut one side then cut the other side

Now that its getting colder, We want to do the cutting inside and thought about an electric saw, but it looks like even the biggest stihl only has a 16" bar...

I realize that this wouldn't be ideal, but neither is filling up the shop with 2 stroke exhaust

You need to look at something like a Stihl E220 or MSE220, I think the current model is the MSE250. I've heard of guys running 20"+ bars on them.

I’m not sure of the options on electric saws so this is a SWAG. If you have a 6 pin picco sprocket there shouldn’t be an issue putting a 20” bar on an elec saw. Let the saw cut and don’t force it. Dip the sprocket in bar oil if it’s not oiling enough. It’s an out there option so don’t over analyze it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some time back you could buy an air saw If you have a compressor & they are still available that would do the job with no trouble

The problem is b&c options on electric or cordless saws. The sprocket is not always the same. If you're running a 0.043" gauge 3/8P chain then you can use any 0.050" or 0.063" gauge 3/8 b&c with that sprocket. I've never found any bars over 16" in 0.043" gauge for Stihl. If you move up to a 20" b&c stick with 0.050" gauge. You'll have to take into consideration the power of the motor when choosing, sharpening, and adjusting the rakers for this b&c. If you have 1/4P b&c then you'll have to change the sprocket and the b&c.

I have a battery powered saw with an 18" bar, so some corded electric saws should be able to run 20" bars, even if not stock.
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...20v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.310665/

Look at the larger STIHL and Makita corded models. They are not wimpy saws.

There are also some industrial saws that you might be able to find with some work. STIHL makes 220V models in Europe, and used to make 3-phase models, depending on how heavy your use is.

Philbert

I have a battery powered saw with an 18" bar, so some corded electric saws should be able to run 20" bars, even if not stock.
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...20v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.310665/

Look at the larger STIHL and Makita corded models. They are not wimpy saws.

There are also some industrial saws that you might be able to find with some work. STIHL makes 220V models in Europe, and used to make 3-phase models, depending on how heavy your use is.

Philbert
My MSE 250 stihl draws 15 amps.
20" bar......no problem.

$50 Craigslist and a 1 hr drive.

You need to look at something like a Stihl E220 or MSE220, I think the current model is the MSE250. I've heard of guys running 20"+ bars on them.
I agree on the E20 as I had an E220 and it pulled a 20" bar just fine with regular (not lo pro) 3/8 semi chisel. An E30 will pull up to a 48" bar but needs 3 phase power. Oh, and it weighs a mere 50 lbs. powerhead only. An Old Milwaukie will pull a 16" bar well running regular 3/8 chain. I did a test with seveal electrics and most other electrics are best at a 16" max length bar with .325 or 3/8 lo pro. See comparisons under YouTube Sawfun1's channel. The MSE220 was the clear winner and it has magnesium construction. I later had a MSE180 that, while not having near the torque of the 220, was nicer for most jobs. The Makitas are nice, but not in the MSE220's league.

Back