Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind, I also mill. The 24" and 36" see lots of use when I do, and milling can dull a chain fast, you it is nice to have some extras. In fact, if you have 2 90 cc saws with 24" bars, you can let one cool down while you use the other. Milling is tough on everything. I try to bring saws to match the job. Several times, my 261 w/18" B&C can do everything, but other times larger stuff is better.

I knew milling generates a lot of heat and you need a ripping angled/math chain and it's strenuous on the powerhead.

Kind of like prairie dog hunting. Bring a bunch of rifles and rotate through them when a barrel gets too warm.

My 394 is used for limbing, bucking, and felling in the same stroke. It is my grab first do all saw, with a 32" bar.
From start to finish if I had only one saw I could see doing that, but if I have a t540, a 550 and a 395 why would I sling a 94cc saw with a 32" bar on it to limb with?

IMO, sling the lightest saw that will do the job. When I get to 18" wood, It's not limbs anymore. It's bucking wood on the ground, and most of the time 20" or there abouts. Instead of using a 32" bar on 18" wood, use a 20. And instead of pulling a 20" bar on a 550 or 562, rip through it with a 395.

I don't understand your thought process and I guess you won't understand mine, but it doesn't matter. Stop arguing with me and go get some wood!! :D

P.S. How big are you? I wouldn't be able to sling a 395 from start to finish. I'm 5'6" 150lbs.

My top tech went out dog hunting, he switched back and forth between his .223 and .22-250, had himself a blast

Sweet!!!

Bar none one of the best things to make some one a better shot. I love it!!!!!!

Aim small, miss small at 600 yards.

Makes deer season that much easier.

20” is pretty common around here. Lot of guys getting loads of logs and cutting off the pile. Most wood is 24” or smaller off the log truck so a 20 or even 18 works fine. Start cutting up top and over buck, I can cut close to 28” with my 20 from one side. Anything longer winds up in the dirt or in the way of other logs. I’ve only ever cut two trees where I wished I had something longer and it was just for the first few cuts from the base. Neighbor has a 95cc jonsered with a 20” bar. It will just eat! One of these days I’m going to pick up a 28 for my 460 for that once in a blue moon.

Pretty much agree with what you say there Jeff, but I will add the following:

1) The less you put your bar tip in the wood, the longer your bar will last.

2) It is a lot easier to over buck a 24" log than a 40" log! There comes a point when your arms just aren't long enough!

I don't use the 36" often, but for some large stumping and bucking, I'm thankful I have it.

From start to finish if I had only one saw I could see doing that, but if I have a t540, a 550 and a 395 why would I sling a 94cc saw with a 32" bar on it to limb with?

IMO, sling the lightest saw that will do the job. When I get to 18" wood, It's not limbs anymore. It's bucking wood on the ground, and most of the time 20" or there abouts. Instead of using a 32" bar on 18" wood, use a 20. And instead of pulling a 20" bar on a 550 or 562, rip through it with a 395.

I don't understand your thought process and I guess you won't understand mine, but it doesn't matter. Stop arguing with me and go get some wood!! :D

P.S. How big are you? I wouldn't be able to sling a 395 from start to finish. I'm 5'6" 150lbs.

That's why I have a 170, 261, then jump clear to the 661. Oak trees are my primary source and that's all there is for trees out here really. TON of limbs on them damn bur oaks so when I fell a tree I start from the top with my 170, the small stuff(under 8") gets cut the length of that saw with a 12" bar on it to go in the garage stove. From there on up I use my 261 for the limbs and the bigger saw for the trunk. Dad used to do it all with his 044 but he didn't take stuff under 6", and those 044's really aren't much more weight than the 261. Most of the limbs, well 60-70% are waist height to over my head usually, I'd rather use the 170 for that than even the 261. Better to have to drop a cheap saw and run too IMO, and the 170 has the broken handle to prove it.

I'm serious about the wool , during the winter months real wool plays a big part in my outdoor gear .
While some of my under garments are of some of the newer fabrics that wick moisture away but wool is my choice of outerwear when working because of breath-ability , lightness and mobility that wool gives you , it will keep you warm when you sweat or have snow melt .
I do wear something to stop the wind when traveling on the tractor in the 32 and below temps but that comes off in a hurry when the scrounging begins so I don't overheat .
Wool is as awesome as spruce and beer :)

Had to work on a project with the wife this morning ... fixed some broken cabinet hinges (you can't find replacements with the same pocket cuts) with Loctite PL Premium ... I love that stuff!

Then I got mad at myself for not having been out hunting yet this year. Don't think I have ever been this late in my entire life (since old enough to do it). So I searched through the shed and got my hunting clothes, boots, knives, range finder, etc., got the climbing tree stand down and the cross bow ready.

Was in my tree by 3:00, and by 4:15 a 4 point buck was on the ground. Watched it for 20 minutes before it gave me a good shot. I have never taken a deer in so little time in my life, and it was also my first deer with a cross bow. It is a CenterPoint 370 and I love it, made a 30 yard broadside shot seem almost too easy. I thought it was a 6 point, but no matter, the body is a decent size so we will have some venison in the freezer! Pressure is off, good thing, cause I still have people that want wood or splitting, or cutting, etc.

If I hunt more now, can only take a doe. On the 18th, I'll have 3 more weeks to take another buck.

Back