New Homeowner Looking for Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the one I took to TN. Running stihl PS chain this kind of work is what they like. Fun and smooth. That's a locust tree I'm playing with.

When it comes to the quality of the dealer, I myself have had better luck at a hardware store that's sells O P E, vs. a dedicated O P E dealer.

Maybe that's cause the hardware store sells all sorts of stuff other than O P E, and they want you to return to buy that other stuff. At least that's been my experience. We have an Ace Hardware store about 4 miles from where we live. They carry Stihl. They recently moved their O P E dept. to a separate bldg., and added even more Stihl product. They also service what they sell, as they have an actual service dept.

When it comes to the quality of the dealer, I myself have had better luck at a hardware store that's sells O P E, vs. a dedicated O P E dealer.

Maybe that's cause the hardware store sells all sorts of stuff other than O P E, and they want you to return to buy that other stuff. At least that's been my experience. We have an Ace Hardware store about 4 miles from where we live. They carry Stihl. They recently moved their O P E dept. to a separate bldg., and added even more Stihl product. They also service what they sell, as they have an actual service dept.

I've had very similar experiences. I use an Ace hardware that is a Stihl/Echo dealer. They are often overly friendly and help you out with whatever. They are very honest up front and don't try to upsell you. If anything they tried to downsell me but I like bigger toys lol. My first ever Stihl trimmer came from a sole Stihl dealer and they were less than desirable in every aspect of their service.

Lol. If your telling me that I'm a Dolmar/makita dealer. Lol. I have my personal 5105H a used 5105, 5100 and 1 new 5105 Dolmar left then the new 5000 makitas in stock. Bahahaha. Don't have a MCV51 though. But I will. Just so people ask. What the heck is that.

I knew you had all those nice toys. I just copied you about the 5105's and added the 51's for those that might be looking. Seen your YouTube vids on the 5105's, that's what sold me until I got a deal on my 51's.

I've had very similar experiences. I use an Ace hardware that is a Stihl/Echo dealer. They are often overly friendly and help you out with whatever. They are very honest up front and don't try to upsell you. If anything they tried to downsell me but I like bigger toys lol. My first ever Stihl trimmer came from a sole Stihl dealer and they were less than desirable in every aspect of their service.

When I was in the market for a pole trimmer, I went to our one and only dedicated Stihl dealer. They had one in stock, but were firm on the price. No price negotiation at all. :nofunny:

I then went to our Ace Hardware store to see if they had what I was looking for, an HT-131. They didn't, cause of the price and low demand. But, they said that they could order it for me and have it within a week or so.

I asked them outright, if I paid for it with cash right now, could they discount the price by 15%? The sales guy spoke to the store manager, and he said they could. Done deal!

Day #6 of placing the order, they called to tell me my pole trimmer was in. Mine was the 1st they had sold and they were surprised at how much torque it made when they fueled it up, started it, and checked it all out prior to turning it over to me.

Lesson learned? It pays to shop around for the best deal.

For me it's a toss up on where to buy. Ace dealer here is not my favorite as they can't get a part ordered in within a month even if it is in stock. Deere dealer who also sells Stihl is super great with the parts ordering and also stocks a lot of pro stuff vs Ace. They repair equipment at both, but I would never let the ones at Ace touch my equipment. Can't speak for the Deere dealer, but I can only imagine it would be much better. Both places seem to be pretty inflexible on pricing, but I chose to do business with the one who offers superior service, even if the prices are a tiny bit higher.

For me it's a toss up on where to buy. Ace dealer here is not my favorite as they can't get a part ordered in within a month even if it is in stock. Deere dealer who also sells Stihl is super great with the parts ordering and also stocks a lot of pro stuff vs Ace. They repair equipment at both, but I would never let the ones at Ace touch my equipment. Can't speak for the Deere dealer, but I can only imagine it would be much better. Both places seem to be pretty inflexible on pricing, but I chose to do business with the one who offers superior service, even if the prices are a tiny bit higher.

My Ace Hardware places Stihl orders once a week. They do keep a good stock as well. I can't speak to the overall quality of their service dept., cause I don't take any of my O P E in to them. They always tell me special orders parts in about a week or so.

If the heavenly stars are in complete alignment, and I'm having a good day, I can usually diagnose and repair my own equip., if it's not too complicated.

Back